“A pretty good steak !”

Butcher Block Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 131 Restaurants in Plattsburgh
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Butcher Block restaurant in Plattsburgh, NY is family owned and specializes in steak and seafood, but offers a wide variety of delicious options.
“A pretty good steak !”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We visit Plattsburg often, we enjoy going at the Butcher Block, this is the place for a good and decent steak for your money. The staff is friendly and the service if very good. The salad bar's selection was not like usually, the night we went. It is a nice stop after a shopping day in Burlington, Plattsburgh or a ferry trip. We will go back for sure !

Plattsburgh, New York
“the rumors are apparently true!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've heard for years about the unsanitary conditions at this restaurant and I have to say in retrospect I should've seen this coming. I've only eaten there a handful of times and three of my experiences were met with unsatisfactory conditions. First of all, I'll be honest, the place is a local legend with a strong loyal following, the atmosphere is nice and folksy and downright comfortable but the quality of the food and it's handling remain questionable. This evening we sat down for a family meal to celebrate my son's return to town. I ordered the 'special' which was ahi tuna over rice noodles and stir fry veggies with a spring roll and peanut sauce on the side. I requested the tuna be pan seared and very rare and was disappointed to find it overcooked. But I don't complain so I dug in. I began to notice that the stir fry was really heavy on the green beans, no biggie except for the fact that the side was... you guessed it...green beans! I'm all about eating what's available but using up the last of your produce to round out an entrée might seem better saved for an annual festival rather than a nightly special. Next comes the dessert and coffee which was served in an obviously dirty mug. Brown crusty streaks of barbecue sauce (I hope) contrasted very nicely with the white of the mug! So much in fact I had to wonder how the server did not notice the same thing when they poured it. Then my question was answered out came the tiramisu dusted liberally with patches of whitish gray patches of mold! Again, so obviously lousy with the stuff that I found it hard to believe it escaped anyone's eye as it was plated, drizzled with chocolate, set upon the counter, carried 50+ feet across a well lit dining room and plopped down on the table. The waitress was of course 'embarrassed' and told us that we wouldn't be expected to pay for it (seriously) and that we could re-order dessert on the house (seriously??) Well needless to say, the dessert only was generously comped and a 15% discount was applied (which was already owed us due to a local booster club card.) I'm not a germophobe or a clean-freak, I've eaten bugs on purpose but if you own a restaurant that charges well over a hundred bucks for a family of four to eat one meal, I expect pretty close to perfection. Or at the very least, genuine compassion from the waitstaff and not a phony smile with a forced "thank you" at the end of every sentence as if there was any expectation for a generous tip. I'm not going back.

2 Thank FightingHellfish
Montreal, Canada
“A mouth full of yum and wonderful friendly staff”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The atmosphere is great here. We took the ferry to Plattsburgh after a day in Vermont. We ended up at the Butcher Block very very hungry. My dad and mum had been here a while back, apparently 30 years ago and we were surprised to see it was still standing. We all thanked my dad for telling us about it because we left after such a delicious meal.
The wait staff was so friendly. It's funny that in Montreal there are very few restaurants with such friendly service. We were almost surprised by it!
I had the grilled bison which was cooked to perfection (medium rare). It was mouthwatering. It came with mushrooms and onions and a side of mashed potatoes and green beans. It was just so so so delicious.
I was the only one who had room for dessert after the meal but my mum ordered the mini version of a dessert the waiter recommended. It was quite a large portion for something that was supposed to be mini! We were impressed!
Such a great meal. It's a shame it's not in our town!!!

Montreal, Canada
“Decent meal at a good price”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Came here when when it was our first time in Plattsburgh. The food was delicious and their homemade bread and soups were mouthwatering. I think they had free refills. Only downside is that we accidentally came a little before closing, and although they waitress aloud us to eat, we felt a little rushed towards the end.

• Visited March 2013
Long Island
“Excellent Meal and Wonderful Staff!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a steakhouse with a very nice salad bar. The food was very good and the service was great! Our servers were very attentive and really friendly. They made us feel very welcome. One really nice thing about this restaurant is that they have mini-desert versions of their big portions. I think this is a great idea because most people would want something a little sweet after a big meal but don't want to order something big. These are like 3-4 bite versions of a desert and are perfect.

Visited July 2013