“Special dinner with family”

Butcher Block Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 133 Restaurants in Plattsburgh
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Butcher Block restaurant in Plattsburgh, NY is family owned and specializes in steak and seafood, but offers a wide variety of delicious options.
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've eaten here several times while visiting family in Plattsburgh, and the meals have been satisfactory and it has a nice ambiance. Recommend for a special meal, either family or couple.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I visited the Butcher Block for lunch early in 2013 (which was fantastic, best burger I have had in Plattsburgh) and realized they had a new hall, the "Adirondack Room," available for banquet facilities. I was in charge of planning the end of the year banquet for my sorority at SUNY Plattsburgh and found the room to be perfectly sized. My experience from there was absolutely 100% positive. I was put in contact with a woman named Kristen who led me through the process with an incredible level of professionalism and patience. All of my emails were returned promptly and with answers to all my questions. On the day of my event (May 2nd) I dropped off my decorations, returned a couple hours later to find the room looking beautiful, decorated far beyond what I could have accomplished myself. The event ran smoothly and every member of my organization is still raving about the food and how beautiful everything was. I cannot thank the staff enough for all of their help and patience, if you have an upcoming banquet, wedding reception etc. I strongly recommend this facility, you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank Danielle J
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have eaten often at the Butcher Block and would recommend to anyone for their lunches. It has a great salad bar! You can be in and out of there within the hour for lunch. Price wise you get a delicious meal and plenty of food for the lunch price.

It is also a cheery place to go for happy hr.

The food is good and they have added a big banquet room recently. Dinners are a bit more pricey, but still you will enjoy the meals.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were really disappointed in the overall experience of this place. I have been going there for decades and never thought it would turn into a second-rate restaurant.
First of all, the service was slow and spotty. Our server was very nice but seemed overwhelmed (even though it was not packed) and inexperienced. She screwed up our drinks, which took forever, and did not check back enough to see if we needed anything, we had to flag her down.
I saw someone clean a table and then put the dirty rag ON the butcher block that holds cheese and crackers for everyone to eat on a self-serve basis. The rag sat there the whole time we were there, no one ever came back tp pick it up- yuck! Then I saw a customer get a piece of cheese, put her hand right on the whole block, drop a napkin on the floor off the stack, put it back, and then watched someone else come and use that napkin for their cheese. The whole concept of the butcher block is quaint, but I will never eat public cheese again for sure!
Since the food took so long, I was able to really look around after watching the "chese incident". There was dust everywhere high and low, cobwebs, grime, and food stuck to the booth. There was also a really weird guy sitting at the bar with 80's headphones on, drinking what appeared to be just water, taking up 3 prime seats with all his backpacks. We wanted to sit there but there was no room, and not next to him. He kept going outside smoking, and when we left I saw him blow his nose just outside the door straight onto the ground!
I saw the general manager come out once, do something at the bar with a clip board, then leave. He never looked around, did not check on customers or servers, and certainly didn't see the dirty rag next to the cheese!
The food was good, I had lobster hash and the sauce was excellent. Too bad the rest of the experience sucked. They need to get it together and preserve what began as a first-class eatery decades ago.

1  Thank Daytripper420
Reviewed March 11, 2013

If you search for a good steak house, you've got it. It's a place to have an american cuisine experiment. Butcher block restaurant is nice and our waitress was so kind with our children. They want to return !