“Very good!”

Butcher Block Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 133 Restaurants in Plattsburgh
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Butcher Block restaurant in Plattsburgh, NY is family owned and specializes in steak and seafood, but offers a wide variety of delicious options.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

A bit more expensive than 99, but food is usually very good. nice salad bar and generally excellent soups and entees are very good. I think there's only been 1 time out of 10 visits when whoever was cooking had an off night. It's a bit more romatic setting than the 99 chain as well...

Reviewed February 1, 2013

The soup is always hot and delicious. The bread is fresh and home made. There are many selction on the Salad bar. My only complaint is the side eating area (solarium) is quite chilly in the
winter so I ask to be seated at the inside area.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Entering the restaurant, you're greeted by a fireplace and Adirondack lodge decor. Staff was very friendly and prompt...the server asked if I'd been there before and then outlined the menu, specials, and soup/salad bar option. Artisan breads on the salad bar were wonderful, as was the selection of salads and a sweet potato chorizo soup. Great steak, cooked perfectly. Great job!

1  Thank ROCchef
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I won't be going back again. I've given this place chance after chance and they just stink. The service is SLOOOOOOOW, the food is decent but there's usually a problem. If you want a burger med-rare, it comes out well-done. So, order it raw and it comes out med-rare. Sending food back all the time is NOT the signal of a good kitchen.

There is virtually NO flavor to the food. I don't think they add anything like salt, pepper, spices to their burgers. Bland hunk of meat. I didn't even take the remainder home, it was tastless. Others at my table agreed, no flavor whatsoever.

The place is a Ramsey Nightmare when it comes to cleanliness as well. We were seated the last time in the larger solarium type area. Right across from the salad bar. No big deal. The plates were so cold they were frozen together! We heard other people commenting on it, saying it actually HURT to hold them. Also, right across from our table was the 'order station'. This area was smack next to the salad bar, and it also contained take-out boxes. During our VERY long wait for our meal we could really take in the place. It's filthy! Cobwebs on the fixtures above, the order station, dirty, grimmy along the counter tops and at floor level. I mean, this is the place they keep the TAKE-OUT containers, right near the floor!! REALLY!? Then, a girl was clearing off a table and dumped all the dirty dishes at the station...NICE!

A gentlemen, who took the table next to us, waited and waited for his meal. The waitress kept coming back apologizing for the hold-up (It's not her fault the kitchen's slow, afterall). He got so fed up with waiting he just left! It's ridiculous.

On a postive note, the wait staff, and staff in general, ARE very friendly and courteous. I felt VERY badly for them; that they're on the frontlines of the establishment, having to run interference for the ridiculously slow kitchen staff. If they are under staffed in there then FIX IT! Ultimately, it's not even the kitchen staffs fault, it falls to the owner/manager to make sure things are running in tip-top, speedy accurate fashion.

I work in the service industry and I know the place I work at would NEVER run their establishment like this one. I won't go back again.

1  Thank TheTruthOfit
Reviewed January 14, 2013

the last 2 times I have eaten there the food always needs to be sent back, because its cold or wrong, and upon return it doesnt get any better and not even warmer.. vegatables were also missing. prices are very high and sadly that does not mean the quality is anygood, just expensive.. next time I will cook a frozen pizza and stay home and be much happier.. and unfortunately the service doesn't make up for any of the disappointments.....