“Overpriced/Overrated”

Aleka's
Ranked #7 of 132 Restaurants in Plattsburgh
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I was excited that Plattsburgh had a new Greek restaurant after My Greek Kitchen closed - but my visit there was disappointing! First of all their "dinners" don't include a salad - I ordered the slovaki dinner, which was 10-12 small grilled pieces of seasoned pork, a bit dry along with frozen french fries - for $12, and they charge an extra $1 for take out - per dish! The Greek salad was $7, $8 for take-out - but somehow my bill was over $23.00, so may have been overcharged on top of that? The Greek salad was fair, don't think green peppers belong in Greek salad though - and prefer crumbled feta cheese, theirs has one decent sized slice of feta! The stuffed grape leaves in the salad were mushy & flavorless, the one at Price Chopper at the olive bar are far superior in both taste and texture! The dressing was made incorrectly, tasted like just oil & vinegar - with no spices, not the standard olive oil & lemon juice rendition most places serve, with oregano, pepper, etc - perhaps with a splash of wine vinegar! The tzatziki sauce was thin, not creamy - and didn't have the pronounced cucumber flavor authentic tzatziki sauce should have - and was lacking in both garlic & fresh dill, which adds an abundance of flavor! The pita bread was a bit greasy, although they did give 2 loaves! On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it maybe a 5!

There are newer reviews for Aleka's

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were hungry, and I knew from previous reviews that sometimes the service is a little slow. The reason though is that in the kitchen, they're making everything FRESH and the food is EXCELLENT!! Can't wait to go again. Really delicious Greek food. :)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Aleka's is a great place for dinner and drinks in downtown Plattsburgh. I was thrilled when I saw a generous glass of red wine being poured for me at the bar! I had drinks and split a meal with a friend. We split dinner because the portions are huge at this place! If I would have gone straight home after dinner, I would have ordered a meal for myself because I know there would have been leftovers!

As a vegetarian, I'm always looking for places that will have more options for me to choose from. It's usally easy to find great things to eat at a Greek restaurant and Aleka's lived up to my expectations!

I hope the community will support this restaurant for many years to come!

1  Thank Cat Y
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Love this place, they've got best chicken soup and grilled calamari. The owner actually owned Greek kitchen and now Aleka's is the new one that is recently opened with even better food.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We tried out this restaurant and were very pleased. The pita with tzatziki served with our meal was warm and delicious. We enjoyed the Greek salad and the souvlaki platter with fries. The food was fresh and tasty, the portions were generous, the service was fast and friendly, and the price was very reasonable for what you get. We'll definitely return next time we're in the area!