“The new kid on the block”

Hampton Inn & Suites Plattsburgh
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Plattsburgh
“The new kid on the block”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Plattsburgh was definitely due for a new hotel to counter its tired older hotels, and this one fits the bill. Everything is bright, shiny and new, and no comfort has been spared.

The free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate all day long in the lobby were appreciated. If you forget your laptop at home, there’s a nice business center with 2 working computers, a printer, and lots of pens & notepads. There’s a little room across from the business center with every kind of snack imaginable for sale, even frozen dinners you can pop in your microwave if you don’t feel like going out to eat.

We had a king room, and it was beautifully decorated right from the bed to the bathroom to the blinds to even the light switches. If you remember to bring your laptop, there’s a desk in the room, and also a portable laptop desk. Toiletries were lovely, and even included mouthwash, a very nice touch. Also, it was absolutely spotless, and believe me, we checked.

It was a cold day, so we turned on the heat before leaving for shopping and dinner. When we returned a few hours later, the room was still cold . . . the heat didn’t seem to be working. We called downstairs and told the girl we thought there might be a problem with the heat, and she told us to give it some time. We explained that it had already been several hours, but she wasn’t moved. It took some persistence on our part, but she eventually agreed to send someone up to take a look. (This scratched a few points off an otherwise perfect review.)

A young man arrived a minute later, and tinkered with the heat for a few minutes, but said it was not working, and he was moving us to a new room next door. This was an upgrade, because the new room was a king suite. It was waaay more room than we needed, but we were grateful to have heat, moved our things, and got settled.

This room was also beautiful, much larger, and contained a wet bar and sofa. The bathroom was a little different, in that the sink and toilet areas were separate. Here was the only design flaw: there was no towel rack in the sink area. If I had to find one thing to complain about it would be that the shower curtain needed to be replaced, but thankfully the shower had a curved rod, so there was no contact with the curtain.

I agree with a previous reviewer about that yellow post-it telling us our bedding has been cleaned . . . it kind of left me feeling the same way I feel when I see that notice in a restaurant bathroom reminding the employees to wash their hands. I mean, really? Shouldn’t these things be a given?

Also agree about the duvet. It was so pretty, and white is a fresh, bold choice, but why the polyester? Cotton would be much more comfy, and would prevent the duvet from sliding off the bed during the night . . . I swear that thing had an agenda all its own.

Breakfast the next morning was excellent. All the usual choices, but also scrambled eggs and turkey sausages, another appreciated touch. There were some yummy looking pastries as well that I was considering, when I saw another guest handle almost every one of them while seemingly weighing the pros and cons of each (why do people do that when there are plenty of utensils available?). That turned me off but honestly, I really don’t need to eat pastry for breakfast (or ever) anyway.

All in all, it was a delightful stay, and we will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank heartofaskeptic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
massachusetts
Reviewed November 13, 2012

New hotel, right next to Uno's for convenience. I'm a business traveller for the most part, but found the desk/chair less than adequate (I felt like I was sitting on the floor because the chair was either broken or just not high enough for the desk, which was too high for working.) My internet speed was also rediculously slow, and that caused problems with my productivity. Other than that it's fine for a night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 82sammy
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a new property, right on Cornelia Street (Rte 3), next to the Uno restaurant. The service was very friendly. I think I will stay here everytime I come to Plattsburgh. We had a king bedroom. The room is new; there is a microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. They include complimentary breakfast. BTW there's a Starbucks about a 5 min drive down the street. It is 2 minutes from the on ramp of Rte 87. We used the wifi (complimentary). We did not have a chance to use the pool or fitness room but they looked fine.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor, and could see the Adirondacks.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank moviemom88
Elmwood, Illinois
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

This is an excellent Hampton Inn & Suites! It is fairly new and very well appointed. The rooms have ample room to move about and have excellent access to power accessories. The WiFi is fairly fast. The ladies behind the desk are friendly and outgoing and seem truly interested in making sure you have a good stay with them. Breakfast was slightly above average for this level of hotel, the difference being all of the food was spread out and not crammed into one small area. If you are staying in the Plattsburgh area on business or pleasure...this is by far the first place you should check for availability!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TAR16
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a 3 year old hotel and hence everything is fresh, neat, and clean – carpets, overall upkeep, look and feel, etc. The person at front desk said that the owner is at the property regularly and is particular about the details and gets things fixed quickly and even before they go bad. The effort shows. The breakfast is sumptuous. It has the variety to satisfy even the picky eaters. Food quality is good. It made it easy to start the day with a good, healthy, and filling breakfast. There is a laundry facility. Room had fridge and microwave. Being a new property, room, bathroom, and bathroom vanity area were spacious. Everything in the hotel had an elegant look and feel to it. Right across the hotel is UNOs restaurant. It is also owned by the same owner and is also a new place. It is a nice restaurant with a varied menu. Food is good. It is very convenient to finish a hectic day and relax in this restaurant. They also deliver to the hotel and you can eat in the hotel’s lounge which is very nice and comfortable. All in all, it is a great place and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank kishores
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My daughter and I took a drive to view the Fall Foliage and ended up in Plattsburgh with no reservation during the 1st week of October. We were fortunate to find a room at the Hampton Inn. My teen's criteria was a pool, hot tub and wi-fi and two beds! All which were easily accommodated. The location was convenient to restaurants and the room was very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Wareham, MA
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Being a Marriott preferred customer, it's hard to sell me on another property. This was quick stop over as there we no Marriott properties in the area. When we made the reservation we were told we were upgraded to a "larger" room. Upon entering our room, it was basic and small. The best part was the yellow post-it they place on the headboards to inform you they change the bedding after each guest. Really? That was reassuring and rather disturbing in my opinion. The bed was nothing short of uncomfortable and the "duvet" was cotton and polyester, ewwww! Polyester, come on. The breakfast the following morning was nothing short of a satisfactory buffet which had been attacked by a group of unruly/unsupervised teens who left more food behind than they ate. As indicated, it was an adequate hotel, but I did miss my Marriott bed/bedding as nothing compares to their properties in my personal/business traveling opinion.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
christinehannon, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Plattsburgh, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and we are sorry we were not able to wow you with our rooms and service. We hope we can have another chance to show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about here at our hotel and our brand if your travels bring you back to the area

Christine Hannon