“another worn-out Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Altamonte Springs, Florida
“another worn-out Holiday Inn”
Reviewed September 12, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for her 30-year high school reunion. Upon entering our room, I immediately thought that I had been transplanted to the Skokie Holiday Inn, where I had stayed just one month prior (read my review). I am NOW firmly convinced that most Holiday Inn properties have seen their better days. While the lobbies at both properties were very nice, and both staffs were very pleasant and accomodating, the rooms just don't cut it anymore! The furniture was very 1970's (perhaps specially placed to welcome the high school reunion attendees!), and my wife refused to walk barefoot on the room carpeting; it just felt "wet and dirty". The hotel corridors REEK of cigarette smoke.

The in-house restaurant only offers a $13 buffet at breakfast, rather than being able to order off the menu, so you're better off driving for 10 or 15 minutes in to Plainview or Hicksville, to eat at one of the many, delicious Greek diners in the area. The hotel does, however, have a lively night club, that jumps well in to the wee hours of the morning. The club has a very large and imposing bouncer, who turned out to be a most pleasant fellow!

While the planned pre-banquet gathering in a hospitality room never materialized, the culminating reunion banquet, also held at the hotel, was quite nice, with very good service and ample, tasty food.

Holiday Inn employees try hard, they really do, to please their guests. Unfortunately, the properties themselves "groan" with age!

• Liked — very helpful and pleasant staff
  • Disliked — the property is showing it's age, and just didn't seem "clean"
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Adirondacks
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights this weekend and were very disappointed.

No Windows- none of the hotel rooms have windows to the outside. Every room has a wired glass window that opens onto a hallway. If you want any privacy, you must keep the curtains closed at all times, so you don't get any natural light or view. In addition, the windows are wired glass, so it feels like a prison.

Noise- There was a cacaphony of clunks and bangs all day and night, the room offers no protection from noise in other parts of the hotel. We could hear opening and closing doors on every side of us all day and night.

TV- the tv was no good. The picture was so dim and out of focus you could hardly tell what was on. There was no ability to adjust these settings.

Room layout- Although the room was a good size, it was narrow. It was set up in such a way that you could not get to the bathroom without bumping into the desk chair.

Bathroom - the bathroom was tiny, barely able to use the facility without banging knees on door. The toilet seat was not a normal seat, it was a thin plastic membrane that caused the user to sit too low.

Other amenities- no fridge or microwave. We were surprised that there was no fridge, even cut rate motels have refrigerators these days. When we asked for one, they said they don't offer them.

Elevator - strange smell in the elevator.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — soft,warn out, sagging bed
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Plainview hotels

Maryland
Reviewed March 17, 2007

I recently booked a six-night stay at this hotel and I was so disappointed that my stay only lasted two nights. Firstly, although I was told that I was in a non-smoking room, the room smelled of smoke and was generally unclean. On my second night, while taking a shower I noticed that the water was an orange-brown color (think ice tea). I mentioned this to the desk clerk and she simply told me that they were probably doing some plumbing repairs and that I should just let the water run for a few minutes. She did not give as much as an apology for the inconvenience. I could have written her lack of decorum off as a fluke if the manager did not show himself to be just as much if not more unprepared for customer service as she did.
On top of this, I had a major billing issue with them that I had to threaten to take to their corporate offices just to get them to finally correct (I wish that I could discuss, but this story is too convoluted, but they totally mishandled this also).
There are plenty of acceptable hotels of varying classes in the area. Trust me, you will be better off trying one of the competitors as the Holiday Inn-Plainview has many areas to improve upon to be considered merely acceptable.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank jet296
east coast
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I have stayed here about a dozen times in the last several years. I choose it mostly because it is convenient to where I travel while on the island. It is very nice, clean, with friendly and helpful front desk staff. The rooms are on the small side but nicely decorated and clean. The walls are thin, however, and when the hotel is full you can easily hear all your neigbors. It seems to be a popular place for weddings. I have been there (unintentionally) for several. The noise level really escalates then! This past Saturday I woke up on the clock at 2 am, 3 am, and 4 am due to the hallway noise of inebriated partygoers. The restaurant and lounge are attractive and the food is average--not bad, but nothing to cheer about either. There is a tiny "business center" that has two computers with Internet access. Of all the times I have been there, only one computer worked; causing some wait times when more than one hotel guest wanted to log on. I have never used the outdoor pool, but the area is attractive, as are all the grounds. The lobby is also very attractive, large, and a nice place to chat with friends.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank shermaine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Comfort Inn Syosset by Choice Hotels
Four Points by Sheraton
Four Points by Sheraton
#3 of 6 in Plainview
Melville Marriott Long Island
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville

Been to Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island? Share your experiences!