“Nice at first glance but will not be my first choice in the future”

Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Nice at first glance but will not be my first choice in the future”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My daughter goes to college on Long Island and at last minute we had to extend our stay. My normal place was not available so I needed to find another place to stay for the 3 extra nights. This was my first night in this hotel. The lobby and staff that greeted me were very nice. The gentleman who checked us in was very nice and gave us a room in the back that was close to the door so my daughter and I wouldn't have to take our suitcases far.

Our first impression of the room was that it was very nicely done and beds were comfortable. Bathroom upon first look was nice.

My issues though that do not make this my first choice:

When in the shower the ceiling is very very low which made me notice my second possible issue
On the shower ceiling were black marks, now I do not definitely what this was - could have been scuff marks but when I see black marks in a bathroom I also think of mold so I would think a hotel would make sure this issue was taken care of even if just scuff marks

The area is kind of out of the way, I didn't see any nearby places to eat. Have to go out of the way for that.

Biggest deal breaker for me was the heat. The nights were still cool and the second night I turned on the heat. It is so loud that I could not sleep. Had to turn it off in the middle of the night and was cold by morning. I didn't ask to change rooms because we only had one night before we went home. Our last night I turned it off before going to bed so I could get a good night's sleep but was cold so still didn't sleep as well as I had hoped.

All in all it has the possibility of being a very nice hotel but with the issue of the fan for the heat / ac running so terribly loud, that is a deal breaker for me. I know I unfortunately will not be staying here in the future when I bring my daughter back to school.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nygrl4evr
Kristopher W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank for your positive comments about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Plainview. Our Staff adheres to very high standards when it comes to the cleaniness of our rooms and each room goes through two seperate inspections before each new Guest arrives. I did speak to both Housekeeping and Maintenance about your concerns about the scuff marks on the shower ceiling and it was attributed to the texture of our bathroom ceilings and nothing more. I am disappointed to hear that you found our location to be out of the way...our location has always been one of this Hotels biggest attributes. We are within 5 miles of some of the Northeasts best shopping and dining and our front desk is happy to provide a list of these destinations upon request. I was sorry to hear about your issue with the noise of the HVAC fan in your room, our Hotels does have a Maintenance staff member availalble at all times and I sincerely wish that you would have bought this to our attention so that it could have been quickly resolved and you could have enjoyed your stay a little more. I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again during your next trip to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed the Memorial day week end for a wedding close by.
The front desk was very accomodating, the restaurant and bar personnel were very friendly.
The dinner selection was good. The breakfast was more limited.
Good experience overall

Room Tip: Stay away from the lobby. Preferably 2nd floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kristopher W, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about your recent stay at our Hotel. We look forward to having you as our Guest again in the future!
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I will update this review as I'm able (still traveling), but it should be said that this place *unquestionably* has a rat problem. I brought it to the manager's attention after *seeing* one in my room. He moved me to another room. A short while later, in my new room, I heard the very same scratching at the wall that preceded seeing the rat in the last room.

On top of that I should not have to argue with the general manager about my experience.

Hotel seems fine at first glance. Will constantly impress upon you how wrong your first glance was thereafter.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank donmthompson
Kristopher W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Our Hotel does by no means have a "rat issue" and maintains an aggressive preventative pest control program, of which we hold records, as cleaniness and guest safety are a top priority. It should be known to those reading this posting that this guests' accomodations were provided to him by his employer while he was working on a month long project in our area. This guest had notified myself and my Staff on several occasions that he was unhappy with the room style which was chosen for him and paid for by his employer. This guest demanded that we upgrade him to a Suite because he would be with us for a month, when we notified him that this was not possible he claimed that our hotel was infested with rats and he would make that known. The Guest remained with us for the remainder of the month. We find it very disheartening that someone would try to discredit the very high reputation of our Hotel and our staff simply because they wanted to be upgraded to a suite. We work extremely hard to exceed all of our guests expectations and are extremely disappointed in the actions taken by this guest.

Travelers are raving about these Plainview hotels

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed this past weekend at the Plainview, New York Holiday Inn on Sunnyside Boulevard out on Long Island. The room appeared to have been recently redone with fresh furniture, paint carpet and bathroom. The bed and pillows all did a fine job for me, and the Staff, especially the front desk man named Brian was especially helpful in changing my room from one with a sofa fold-out plus queen, to a room with two queens. Brian moved our luggage for us, and rehung the previously hung clothing. Great service, and it surpassed what I have come to expect from most mid-priced hotel. I would recommend this place if you are looking for a L.I. hotel convenient to the LIE or Northern State Parkway, about a short drive from midtown.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Woodsboro, Maryland
Reviewed April 21, 2013

hotel was nice, beds comfortable but location wasn't great if you don't have a car....the bar and in particular the restaurant was incredible. If I lived nearby I would go there for dinner on a regular basis! My college roommate and I got together without spouses, kids or grandkids and had a good time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Roosevelt, New York
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel staff was very pleasant upon check in. We were greeted warmly and were told they have my Priority Number. I was given my room key and directions to my room. I was also given my Priority Club snack package (NutriGrain Bar, Lays Potato Chips, and bottle of water).

The lobby was open and beautifully decorated. The restaurant was also nice. Going down the hallway to the room was the mismatch style. The corridor had dark interior colors versus the light colors in the lobby area. The hotel had an "indoor motel" or an interior cruise ship style room. Our room was on the first floor and we had a window that opened to the hallway. There were windows in the hallway, so you indirectly had light/view to the outside.

The walls were thin. We heard the other people every time they were talking or had the TV on.

The bedroom decor was modern and the bed is a few feet away from the door. If you are a light sleeper it would not be an ideal situation because you would hear all the noise.

The closet is inside in the bathroom which has a sliding door.

The staff was nice and the hotel was clean. The hotel style and decor did not match my personal preferences with regard to looking like an interior cruise ship room (no windows to the outside). There was a mismatch between my style and the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Treisha G
Kristopher W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay at our Hotel. I appreciate your kind words regarding the service you received from the Staff, as well as, the decor of our common areas. I am sorry that our room style and decor was not to your taste, as a a lot of thought and effort were given to these areas during our recent complete renovation. I sincerely hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future, as we look forward to having you as our Guest again.
Niantic, Connecticut
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Plainview Long Island. The rooms were nicely decorated, beds were comfortable and it was clean. The staff was friendly and the service was great. We had 17 people and rented 6 rooms and we all enjoyed a great breakfast buffet in the morning. Make sure you go say hello to Ken at the bar too! He was fun to chat with.
DD

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Comfort Inn Syosset by Choice Hotels
Melville Marriott Long Island
Hilton Long Island/Huntington

Been to Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island? Share your experiences!