“Clean and Comfortable”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Virginia
“Clean and Comfortable”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed here two nights for a wedding and found the place to be fine for that purpose. It's just off the LIE so it's real convenient for getting around the Island. The lobby is large and attractively decorated. The room was perfect for what I needed. Having a window looking out on the hall is weird and annoying because you basically have to have the blackout curtains closed all the time unless you want people looking in on you. I didn't have any noise issues, unlike some other guests. I found the room lighting to be quite dim; I know this is to save energy but because there's no natural light, you just can't get it bright enough. I'm not sure how having to turn on every light in the room saves energy, even if they're all compact fluorescents. The breakfast was the kind of buffet you get in lots of places now for free. This motel charged, unfortunately. I had a 10 percent off coupon but some guests had free breakfast coupons. Not sure how they got 'em. It wasn't a lot of money but I'd just as soon forgo the waiters and pay nothing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New York, NY
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here over the holidays while visiting family, and were pleasantly surprised. The room we had was very clean, seemed newly renovated and modern, and had everything we needed. The bed was comfortable and the shower had great pressure and was hot - what more could you ask for? We didn't need a restaurant or any other amenities, it's nice for a short stay. The staff was very nice too. It's right off the highway so it is easy to find and convenient for travel. The price was very reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristopher W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am so happy that you enjoyed your visit to our Hotel. We hope to be your Hotel of choice when returning to the Long Island area. Next time you visit, may I suggest that you try dining in our award winning restaurant, Bistro 46. Safe travels!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Nice-looking lobby, bar and restaurant area. I found the front desk staff to be very helpful. The staff in the dining-room room need some customer service training. The breakfast has scrambled eggs and fried potatoes with the other basic items. The hotel is an older hotel but has been updated. The rooms in the hotel used to have doors facing the outside, but a wall has been added and the outside walkway is now enclosed. However, now the windows to the rooms face out to a hallway and there is no view of the outside. The room I have on the second floor is always dark. There is one guest washing machine and one guest dryer for clothes. The beds are ok for comfort. The hotel is clean. I had one king bed and I liked having a sofa in the room. There is a very small refrigerator and microwave in the room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SouthCalgirl
Kristopher W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our Hotel. I am happy to see your positive remarks about our recent renovations and the helpfulness of our Front Desk Staff. However, I was disappointed to hear about your experience with our Restaurant Staff...I have shared your feedback with them, as it is our goal to exceed all of our Guests expectations and hearing both positive and negative comments allows us to improve. We hope that you will chose the Holiday Inn Plainview again during your next visit to the area.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Frequently stay at this hotel and I can't comment enough home much I enjoy it. From the front desk staff to Christine in the Lounge to the servers in the restaurant everyone is warm and cordial. Every customer is pleasantly and with a smile. The rooms are always spotless. As a frequent traveler this is a place that make you feel welcome and comfortable for every stay.

Another great stay

Bill

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Wjl8923
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments with us. I have shared them with our Staff and they, as do I, appreciate you taking the time to reconize them. We look forward to providing you with many more "great stays" and are truly honored to have your loyality.
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I'd like to thank the staff here for being really accommodating to me and my family. The front desk was really friendly and extremely helpful. Brian was extremely informative and Kunal always had a smile on his face when you went to the desk or even just walked by. Francisco and Melissa make a great addition to the front lobby staff. The Bistro has really good food for both kids and adults alike. Kids eat free with paid adults is a bonus. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who even just needs a few nights away.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kristopher W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Let me start my saying that I am happy that you were able to safely return to your home after Hurricane Sandy. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your recent expereince at the Holiday Inn Plainview. I am pleased that our Staff was able to provide you with comfort, service and a reassuring smile during these very trying times. Again, thank you for your kind words, I will be sure to share them with our Staff.
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Beautiful lobby. Recently upgraded. Staff absolutly wonderful and attentive. They need no improvements in their training. Pretty upgraded room but design of the room is terrible. Windows face hallway. Not sound insolated. Large gap between door and floor. You could hear EVERY SINGLE convesation of everyone walking by your room. No windows to outside so no natural light. Pocket door to bathroom causes all bathroom sounds to be heard by people in the room. When we notified staff of the noise they were VERY HELPFUL. Too late to change rooms for us because kids were already ready for bed (10:00pm). Again........staff was great. Breakfast was inexpensive and very good. At checkout we did not ask for a reduction in our bill but was OFFERED 15% off due to the noise. I would recommend staying there just ask if there is a cornor room and a room with outside facing windows.

Room Tip: Cornor room with outside facing window
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kristopher W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment out of your day to comment on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Plainview. I was extremely happy to hear about your thoughts on our newly updated rooms and your positive experience with our Staff and how they handled the issue you had with the noise from an adjoining room. During the recent complete renovation of our Hotel, our rooms did receive extra sound insolation to better sound proof our rooms , so I was disappointed to hear about your experience. We hope to see you again when you return to the Plainview area and look forwward to the opportunity to earn that 5th star from you.
US
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Generally clean, newer appointments and professional staff. Room was quiet and bed very comfortable

But I will share a few things that would make me think twice about going here again.

I checked in on a Friday night. Upon driving up, there was no immediate parking in the front and alot of people milling around outside - I assumed it was a bar crowd and I was right. So I parked in the valet lane and went in to checkin. Well the NOISE from the bar was like a hurricane. and the checkin desk is right across from the bar entrance - so trying to actually 'hear" what the front desk was asking me - included my "read my lips" skill set <compounded from my long trip aches ->> I was not happy.

At check in they tell me I can move my car all away around the back?

Ok - being a solo female traveler - this was not my first choice - but I knew there were NO parking places in front, so I had little choice.
I found my room. changed and ran out again quickly to my meeting.

I got back to hotel about 11pm and the parking in front was wide open and the pounding music from the bar was gone. <<<so it was a bar crowd using all the front parking???>>> I went into bar to get a drink and saw a band breaking up.

So, i order a ginger ale with my drink and it was SO WATERED DOWN I was happy it was the chaser - ridiculous. 2nd one the same thing.

Then I needed to find a local liquor store to pick up a wine gift for the next day - you would think the barkeep would know. Wrong. All I get is some garbled story about how he doesn't live around there, he hops on and off the LIE - end of story - BUT HEY - try the front desk

So I finish up my drinks and head over the the front desk - ask the same question and get a glazed look like: UH? What's a liquor store?? REALLY HOLIDAY INN?

So don't expect much in the way of "concierge" information at this spot - although front desk were professional - they were clueless on anything other than 'checkin'.

When I get to room and try to go into bathroom area - its not particularly well lit and the ceiling was so low I kept banging my arms on it when I was undressing or changing - and when I hopped into the shower my head just cleared the dropped ceiling - - now, I am 5'11";so if you are smaller - this should not be a problem - oh BTW can't the Holiday Inn cleaning experts figure out how to keep bath tile grout in the tub clean?

So - my summary:

+ Would be nice to save a few parking spots for "CHECKIN ONLY" and "FEMALE TRAVELERS" in safe, well light spots - was not thrilled to drive around to "back" of building to access my room

+ Trained front of the house staff that have access to "concierge" information would be helpful

+ Consider warning your taller guests of the limitations of some of your rooms or train you check in team <or flag your room system> to familiarize themselves with room quirks like this and warn guests or offer to change rooms at same cost.

Room Tip: If you are on the tall side - say 5'9 or over - make sure you don't get a room with a droppe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank xenonian
Kristopher W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay that our Property. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and have addressed your service concerns with the appropiate staff members. It is with feedback like yours that the Holiday Inn Plainview can improve our serve to exceed our Guests every expectation. Due to the size and layout of our Hotel we do offer seperate secure entrances accessable only by keycards at convienant locations throughout the Hotel making it easier for Guests to access their rooms without having to enter through the main lobby. Each of these entrances are well monitored and lite, as Guest safety is a top concern. As I am sure you noticed during your stay. a great deal of planning has gone into our recent renovations with guest comfort as a priority. I was disappointed to hear that you felt uncomfortable due to the size of our bathroom and a bit suprised as I have not heard of a similiar issue. If you could please contact me and share your room number with me , so that we can "flag" that room as you suggested. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope that you will choose to stay with the Holiday Inn Plainview during your next visit to the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Comfort Inn Syosset by Choice Hotels
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville

Been to Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island? Share your experiences!