“Nice modern room. Convenient location”

Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
New York City
“Nice modern room. Convenient location”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here for a Saturday night. I had to be in the area late at night and wanted to save myself a drive home. I bid on Hotwire, and got the room for $115. I was very pleased with how modern the hotel was. I assume they recently went under renovation. The room (#12) was very nicely designed, with granite countertops and a very modern, simple design. Overall the hotel was very quiet, not too many people (which I prefer). I didn't get a chance to enjoy the outdoor pool, but it looked really nice. They also had a bar and restaurant open till 2am, which seemed like a nice extra. Also, the location is great, as it is right off the Northern State Parkway. Overall, very pleased, and I will most likely be back!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 12, which is right by the rear entrance/exit. Very convenient!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Astoria, New York
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have been trying to find a place to block off wedding rooms for my October wedding. We had gone to visit the holiday inn (back in April) and a few other places on Long Island, we decided to have our guests stay here. Since then I feel like I have been chasing after this sales manager to finalize plans. We would need at least 30 rooms on the wedding night and have made that VERY clear. you would think they would want this business and return calls, emails, or send us a contract? I have been chasing her for a month now and always with an excuse. Everytime you call you speak to someone else and noone ever gives you the same answer. Very frustrating. We have decided to take our guests to the Marriott. I have enough things to do besides chase her around and try and give her hotel business.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank elizabeth l

Travelers are raving about these Plainview hotels

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed June 22, 2012

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012, our company held a function in the Hampton South room at the Holiday Inn Plainview located at 215 Sunnyside Boulevard, Plainview, NY 11803; the hotel is independently owned and operated by Plainview Hospitality, LLC. / ABLE Hotels / ABLE Management Group, Inc. According to the sign in the lobby, there was supposed to be an Assistant GM on duty, but when I asked to speak with him I was told that he wasn’t in and that there was no manager on duty.

The function we were holding was a Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Seminar for potential clients. We had two sessions. There was a breakfast session that began at 8:00AM and a lunch session that began at 12:00PM. We had 50 attendees for breakfast and 47 attendees for lunch. Our final bill, which I have included, was for $2,234.44.

My mother, who is the President of the company, her sales assistant, and I arrived at the hotel at 7:15AM to begin our setup. When we arrived, the room smelled; it smelled because no one had cleaned up from the room’s previous occupants so there was a pungent odor coming from the trashcan. There was trash left inside the podium and the floors were filthy. (Please see photos.) I would stipulate to the fact that my mother and I could be considered to have high standards when it comes to cleanliness, but this was not a case of our standards being too high; it is absolutely a case of the Holiday Inn Plainview’s standards being too low. The condition of the room would have failed to meet Pigpen’s standards for cleanliness.

When we arrived, the staff had already begun to set up the food. It was quite clear they had no intention of emptying the trashcan or vacuuming the floors so we had to specifically ask for those things to be done. By no means were they done in a speedy manner either; in fact, I had to tell them to forget about finishing the floors because our attendees had begun to arrive.

Unfortunately, the day actually went downhill from there. The entire day was a struggle. Everything took multiple requests before it was completed. When we ran out of food at lunch, it took nearly 20 minutes before more food arrived. We never should have run out of food in the first place because we actually had three fewer attendees than we guaranteed. Plus, someone from the banquet staff should have been accessible to monitor the room.

Every time we asked someone to do their job we were greeted with attitude. During the break between the breakfast and lunch sessions, we tried to speak with the banquet manager, who was also our salesperson, about the situation. However, she was completely useless and she obviously set the tone for everyone else that we were forced to deal with. I have never before met a group of people that apathetic about their jobs who don’t work for the government.

Not only did the Holiday Inn Plainview make us look bad in front off our potential clients, the attendees, they made us look bad in front of our speakers both of whom are current clients.

Honestly, if I don’t cut myself off at some point, this could easily become a six-page letter. As a result, in the interest of saving time, I am going to quickly discuss some additional items:

• The door to the room was broken which meant that it wouldn’t stay closed unless it was locked, which would have created a disturbance every time someone needed to use the bathroom; therefore, we had to leave the door to the room open even though there was construction noise from the renovations we were told were finished and there were workmen moving through the entryway on a regular basis.

• The entryway for the Hampton South room, which all of our attendees got to see as they were signing in for the CLE, is being used for storage. The entryway wasn’t any cleaner than the Hampton South room as you can see by the random saltshaker on the bar and fork on the floor. (Please see photos.)

• There was a floor lamp in the Hampton South room that was missing two of its three shades so the CFL bulbs were visible. When I went over to the lamp thinking to move it out of the room, I noticed all the exposed wiring and decided to leave the lamp instead of risking a shock. (Please see photos.)

• There was a decorative table in the entryway for the Hampton South room that was so dusty you can clearly see the tread from someone’s shoe where they stepped on the base. (Please see photos.)

• Even though we guaranteed 50 for the breakfast session, there were 20 yogurts and a few assorted Danish; it was pathetic. (Please see photo.)

• The soda for the lunch sessions was in liter bottles instead of cans. We have been holding multiple CLE seminars a year for several years now and I have never seen anything like this before. This was something we were paying decent money for not a backyard hoedown. (Please see photo.)

• Since the renovations had not been completed as we were told they had been, all of our attendees, some of whom were in poor physical condition, had to walk through the construction zone to use the restrooms in the lobby.

• Unsurprisingly, given the standards being set by the Holiday Inn Plainview’s employees, the contractors were doing a truly horrendous job of cleaning up the dangerous construction debris. Due to the season and the fact that we knew we would be sitting behind a table signing attendees in and our feet wouldn’t be seen, my mother’s sales assistant and I both opted for comfort and wore sandals. Consequently, we had to be extremely careful on all of our many trips to the front desk. I don’t know what it was all over the floor, but I do know it looked extremely sharp. (Please see photo.)

• There was a huge Progressive truck parked outside the exterior entrance to the room. I actually heard several of our attendees having a discussion about the spokeswoman, “FLO,” being the most annoying woman on television. I happen to disagree, but that is not the point. The problem is that they were focused on another company when we were paying you to have them engaged with our company. (Please see photo.)

• When we were settling up our bill at the end of the day, I had a question about the service charge. The Director of Sales came out to answer my question and it seemed like she thought their abominable behavior was a joke. I don’t find the way we were dealt with amusing.

Room Tip: Find a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AKeating5163497400
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear AKeating5163497400,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a comprehensive review. I'm deeply sorry for the issues you experienced at our hotel. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. Rest assured, your feedback will be reviewed and be forwarded to the departments involved. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Plainview, NY.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I went to a family wedding near this hotel and after long walks visiting museums and historic sights at Manhattan we arrive at the hotel near 11pm to find that there was a great service, nice bed, clean and quiet room. I never sleep tight when I am not in my bed, but this was the perfect choice. I had a good rest before and after the wedding, I had lunch in the hotel that was good and a brunch the day after that was excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank June1925
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have stayed at this property 10+ times so I feel I can confidently give it one star. Staying here during the renovations was terrible... lots of dust and noise. Cosmetically, the hotel & bar look nicer. However, there is a pervasive attitude makes you feel that the customer comes last. As a platinum member with Holiday Inn's I get a free breakfast. Last visit the waitstaff didn't give coffee. The maids opened the door to my room without knocking. There are no outside windows, so the hotel is always very dark. The rooms are ok. One visit, I check in and there was no parking spots available. Jeez, 20 years of traveling and that never came up. The front desk told me to park across the street is a do ark deserted business, or wait around til 11:00 pm when a conference lets out. Total bs. There are better choices somewhat close. If you stay here, there is a very good chance you will regret it....you've been warned

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Was visiting in June for family event. I lived in neighboring Syosset where I still have friends. The location was great for travelling in between the Northern Pkwy and LIE. The rooms were very nice updated as I can see. They were cleaned daily and were very clean. I stayed on the 2nd floor right in front of ice machine,stairs and soda machine. Would definitely stay further away from them in the future quite noisy at night especially on the weekend. Other than that was quiet the rest of the time. The only disappointment was that in the price a breakfast included would have been nice. I would stay here again as it was really a comfortable hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ezduzit3
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed with a friend for a weekend high school reunion.

The construction taking place indicates that the lobby and restaurant areas, whenever completed, will put on a show of a modern property.

Unfortunately, the rooms will be a huge disappointment. At least in the wing where we resided, it is obvious the motel has enclosed what was an open hallway, so that the "windows" in the room look out on people walking down the corrider. Hence, one has no view, and no fresh air is available. In addition, the "new" bathroom is condensed into a very small area with the shower, toilet, small sink and (only room) closet right on top of each other, removed from the sleeping area by a sliding wooden door. Needless to say, only one person can wash and/.or dress at a time. T o add to the disappointment, VERY LOUD construction workers were using the rooms near us for overnight stays.

Positives: The location is right off of the L.I.E.,for the most part the staff is friendly and helpful, and the beds and pillows were very comfortable. The free breakfast, which is being discontinued in a month, was adequate Holiday Inn quality.

The price was comparable to other nearby chains, and certainly no bargain.It would pay for future visitors to look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Because the room was reserved by the high school, we did not see any other wing.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cuse2
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear Cuse2,
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. At the Holiday Inn - Plainview, we want to make sure that everyone's experience is positive and if not, make sure that we do everything possible to make things right. You are correct in your observations about the rooms being enclosed and having an inner hallway, unaccessable to fresh air. The origional structure was built 60 years ago as a motel with landings outside the back of the 3 floors. This too allowed people to walk past your window even then. If you wanted a view, you had to open your shade allowing people to see through and unfortunately, the only way to change this would be to demolish the entire building and start over. In my 15+ years working in hotels, I typically find most (not all) hotels have windows that do not open. I wanted to apologize about the construction workers being loud but I assure you this was only an isolated incident as some of our project work is done by workers and companies that are out of state so this is not the norm for the property by any means. I also wanted to make sure that you were aware that our breakfast buffet is not our only option as we have a full a'la carte menu available which is being re-created for our new restaurant, BISTRO46. As for our rooms, we pride ourselves on the cleanliness and conditions of our newly renovated property and do offer larger rooms which are priced accordingly. If you are in the area again, we would appreciate the opportunity of a second chance to change your impression of the property. If there is anything I could do, please contact me directly.
Once again, thank you for your review.

Brian J. Mauro
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Comfort Inn Syosset by Choice Hotels
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville

Been to Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island? Share your experiences!