“Wonderful Oasis in NY”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Baldwin, New York
“Wonderful Oasis in NY”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I recently relocated from Lawrenceville, GA and I’ve accepted a job on Long Island, NY. I’m used to quality customer service, and I have to say that staying at the Residence Inn Marriott in Plainview, NY has been nothing short of one of my most enjoyable stays at any hotel. The hospitality, customer service, and professionalism from all the staff members are second to none. This place is like an oasis right in the middle of NY.
Their room’s are clean and spacious (kitchens with granite countertops). A free full fledge breakfast is provided every day, dinners, too-- Monday – Thursday. I undoubtedly recommend this hotel to anyone.
M. McGregor

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank mlvnmcg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Arizona
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights for a business trip. The hotel is located right off of a major highway and was easy to locate. Parking can be challenging as we had to park on the street one night. The rooms were large and clean. The hotel staff was awesome.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank perryfamilyAZ
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Great hotel for families with young children. Having a kitchen and separated bedroom is very important for us. The room was spacious and very clean. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The food for breakfast was nothing to write home about but it was "free". We prefer venturing out to the many wonderful restaurants and diners that Long Island has to offer. The negatives for our stay was the bathroom. It needs to be remodeled badly! Very old. The room was remodeled and the kitchen looks new but they skipped out on the tub/shower combo. Also, expect to hear the air raid siren next door at the fire station every so often. Its really loud. Pets are allowed at this property which is a nice feature but barking dogs is not a nice thing to hear late at night. Parking is tight. They have garage parking but for the two days we were there we had to ask the front desk to open the garage door since the key reader was not working.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tracy S
Michigan
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I was technically not staying for business, but visiting my husband who has been staying there for a few weeks on business. He's stayed in many many Residence Inns over the past few years and while this one didn't have the nicest room we ever had, there were other factors that made it truly an excellent hotel.

The service was easily worthy of a five-star hotel. Every person we encountered, from the front desk to the cleaning staff to the folks refilling the food stations at breakfast, was gracious, polite, helpful, and efficient. I was impressed by their top-notch service every time I walked by.

Like many Residence Inns, they offer a complimentary hot breakfast every day and a "manager's special" dinner Monday through Thursday. The quality of these meals was very good every day. At breakfast they had healthy options like egg whites, oatmeal, and fresh fruit alongside hearty eggs, sausage, potatoes, and one day even french toast sticks. The one free dinner I got to have there was really really good - delicious roast chicken with green beans & mashed potatoes, and there was free wine and beer too!

In addition, there is an on-site restaurant called Baldino's and a bar called Pete's Place. We hung out at Pete's one night and had some extremely delicious burgers, plus a local beer on tap. They have a huge aquarium in there so I had to hang out in there as long as possible and name all the fish.

The room was very small, but arranged well to squeeze in a couch, desk, large TV, dresser, and a small kitchen. The bathroom was also very tiny with very limited counter space! I understand that there are much larger rooms on-site. It is fine for just one person, even staying for a while. For two people it was okay for a few days but for an extended stay you'd want one of the larger rooms, we were kinda bumping into each other in there. I didn't think the bed was very comfortable, but it wasn't really too awful. You can kinda hear other doors shutting in the hallway, but you can't hear your neighbors on either side at all. Very quiet and private even though we were overlooking the lobby!

Location is decent, there are shopping plazas just a few miles away in basically any direction. We got a cab to the Long Island Railroad for a trip into Manhattan, and it was a really quick ride to the BethPage station, so that's mighty convenient too.

They have 2 pools (one indoor and one outdoor), a business center, and several meeting rooms for conferences. I didn't really use any of that so I can't comment, but it's good to know it's available.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeanniepep
Huntington Station, NY
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I stayed at this location with my 2 daughters and 3 of their friends, in celebration of my daughters birthday. First off, they gave us early check-in, which was wonderful. The check-in was quick and pleasurable (front desk staff was extremely nice & welcoming). We had a 1bdrm exec suite and we had more than enough room - very roomy, nice & clean. Nice decor throughout the entire hotel. The kids (ages 11-13) had a great time in the pool/sauna/hot tub - were respectful of those that reside there. The small game room kept us all busy for a bit. The bed/pillows were very comfy - we all slept very well. The complimentary breakfast included with the rate was well worth it - nice variety of breakfast items to choose from.

I would definitely recommend this Plainview, NY Residence Inn to my friends. It was a very nice stay. I would come back again.

Stayed February 2011
1 Thank cor67
Markham, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2011

From the moment you enter their lovely lobby and are greeted by their professional, yet friendly staff, you will question why you are paying so little for such a great hotel! We stayed at the Residence Inn Plainview with our 3, 6, and 9 year old children for four nights. We had a one bedroom suite which felt more like an condo than a hotel (no tacky floral bedspreads or rickey old tv's here!). The kitchen area included a stove, full sized refrigerator, microwave, and more. There was a nice eating area, a comfortable place to watch the large flat screen TV (with every channel you could want), a balcony, and a bed with comfy, clean linens and soothing earth tones with pops of red. The bathroom had a full linen closet, medicine cabinet, and room under the sink, too--- lots of space to stash toiletries! And the bedroom had two closets with sliding doors, plus there was a coat closet in the living room. I hate cluttered hotel rooms when I travel with my family, but in this hotel room, everything had a place. The breakfast buffet is not in the lobby like some places--- it's in a rather large restaurant area with a wall of glass overlooking the outdoor pool. Gave it an atrium feel. Great selection of hot and cold items with changes every day. And authentic New York bagels, too, by the way :-) They have a free dinner buffet as well, Monday through Thursday, which family obligations kept us from attending, but it looked nice. The toddler play room was a treat for my three year old. My older two loved the arcade (air hockey too!). And the pool was also a hit-- they have one indoor and one outdoor. I used the treadmill each morning and can tell you the fitness centre is better than many hotels that claim to have fitness centers. There's even a full locker room with a sauna, too. The location right off the 135 is so convenient. And it's tucked away in a residential setting which is lined with trees and feels very peaceful. Devon, at the front desk, went out of his way to make us feel at home. Quick with a smile or an offer to help and genuinely committed to our comfortable stay. It felt like I had run into an old friend when we arrived. I seldom take the time to write a review, but Devon's exceptional service gave me a reason to go online. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Joni_555
Long Island, NY
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Stayed one night in Room 105A in late Dec 2010 and with the exception of a couple of minor inconveniences I was more than satisfied.

Plusses:

-clean room
-decent water pressure
-exceptional kitchenette (stove, microwave, refrigerator, sink, toaster, etc.)
-free internet access in room that's ridiculously fast (laptop / computer required)
-free parking
-free continental breakfast every day til 9:30AM (impressive selection as well!)
-free buffet-style dinner Mon-Thurs 5:30-7:00PM
-free coffee in the lobby
-spacious indoor pool
-bar/restaurant on site (didn't eat there, but it looked decent)

Minuses:

-Television in room didn't get reception at first, but front desk promptly sent over an engineer (nice guy), who fixed the antennae-related problem in a matter of seconds
-After engineer fixed antennae, television still occasionally struggled to get certain channel signals. Example: got a 'no signal' message several times while flipping through channels, only to have message go away and get clear reception when I flipped back
-Television volume in the modestly-sized gym was *way* too loud, and couldn't be adjusted since there was no remote in the room (could have called front desk, but opted to simply leave the gym)
-No Splenda offered in lobby's free cafe (sugar, Equal and Sweet & Low only). However, Splenda *is* available for coffee, tea, etc. at continental breakfast

All in all, a very solid hotel despite a few minor criticisms. Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Melville Marriott Long Island

Been to Residence Inn Plainview Long Island? Share your experiences!