“Very good hotel, but expensive”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Reviewed June 23, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Plainview, NY, in a one bedroom suite with king bed and kitchenette, for four nights, starting Friday, April 27, 2007. We used 90000 Hilton HHonors points for three of the nights and paid $152.10 (AAA discounted rate) for the fourth night ($166.37 including tax). This was a good hotel, but I have to admit that the prices for decent hotels in this part of Long Island were surprisingly (to me, at least) high. The location was very good for our personal purposes, so we went for it, anyway.

This neighborhood is not particularly attractive -- standard suburban business zoned area. There are several restaurant choices within a few minutes’ drive. The nearest Long Island Rail Road station (Hicksville) is about a 20 minute drive away. The hotel is in good condition, modern looking, with a well furnished lobby and eating area (where the included breakfast is available -- rather good food, including a few hot entrees). Amenities were typical for an above average quality hotel in the United States. The staff we encountered during our visit were competent, friendly, and courteous. Computer facilities, including a printer (which needed toner), were available for guests in a room off the lobby.

Our suite was rather large (roughly 18 x 25 feet), had a living room/kitchenette area, a bedroom/bathroom area, a roughly 4 x 3 foot closet with a safe and plenty of hangars, and more than adequate storage spaces. The vanity is outside the separate toilet/shower room, and offered reasonable counter space with a cabinet underneath. The kitchenette included a large microwave, full fridge, utensils, plates, etc., a table and two chairs, sink, and range. A digital thermostat for central air conditioning is in the room. All amenities in the suite were functioning properly during the time of our stay. We heard no sounds from neighboring suites and almost no street noise.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 30, 2007

I just stayed at this Homewood Suites for the second time. It is an excellent Homewood Suites, and appears to be getting better! The rooms are clean and up to date. It looks as if they have recently remodeled or just keep things in tip tip shape. The rooms have the usual Homewood amenities: refrigerator, microwave, living area with sleeper sofa. All the upholstery was spotless. The beds are very comfy with great pillows. The bathrooms are fine with plenty of light and vanity space.

The evening reception and dinner served a dinner that a person would actually wish to eat! 3 kinds of salads, plus a tossed salad, 2 kinds of pasta, and a chocolate cake. They also serve complimentary wine and beer, although it is difficult to get someone to serve the wine.

Breakfast is good, standard Homewood with many choices, and seating is difficult on the weekends.

The only downside of the hotel is its location. Although it is an easy on/off from the expressway, it is in the middle of nothing. You should have a car to stay here, and food is a ways down the road. We liked La Piazza, an Italian noisy, restaurant, about a mile away.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2007

I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Plainview with my husband and young son for just 1 night. I had specifically requested a 1 Bedroom but when arriving got a Studio - it was discouraging that their policy is you can request a room type but you may not get it. I did specifically want a 1 Bedroom for my own personal reasons. In addition, for the rate I paid the bed linens were torn in a few places, wallpaper coming up in the bathroom, and no towels at the pool. They did bring them in a few hours after the pool had opened and we were done. The breakfast was fresh and they had a nice selection. The location was also convenient for our travel plans out to Montauk. Not sure I would stay with Homewood again simply due to not getting the room type I book.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank jacksmom505
Reviewed August 31, 2006

I just got back on 08/31/06 from a 4 night stay at this hotel. I was in the NY area on business and I am glad that I chose to stay here. The staff was warm and friendly and always willing to meet your needs. I stayed in a one bedroom suite and it was tastefully decorated and very clean. The hotel appeared practically brand new! The workout facility, business center and pool was always clean and rarely crowed. Although there were quite a few people (many children as well) staying there, the hotel was very quiet. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and tasty. They also have an evening reception Mon-Thurs which turned out to be a full course meal!! The food at this hotel was definitely above average. The location of the hotel is right off of the 495 expressway. It is about 40 minutes from Manhattan and you can actually take the Long Island Railroad into the city. Tons of eating places and shopping is nearby. I would DEFINITELY stay at this hotel again, and again and again!! It is truly a home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Nice hotel. It's right off the Long Island Expressway, but it's a good distance off and you cannot hear the highway traffic at all. The suite was average for a Homewood - meaning it's bigger than most other suites. The bed was very comfortable and inviting, the shower was powerful and relaxing, and the two TVs were very enjoyable to watch from either the cozy couch or the wonderful bed. The breakfast was good and there were alot of selections, healthy and not.

The only not-so-good thing was when we asked for a late check-out. We went here for a wedding that was to be held at 5pm on a Monday. We checked in on Sunday and asked if we could stay until 4pm or so on Monday, instead of the 12noon checkout. Without looking at availability or anything, the front desk guy said he could do 1pm but anything later would cost us $79. While I understand checkin is at 3pm, the hotel was nowhere near booked and it seemed to be they could be a little more accomdiating. I didn't expect them to be but I was still disappointed they wouldn't bend the rules for this.

Overall, this was a very nice hotel and I would clearly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NiceGuy6
A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed July 9, 2006

This is the first time in a long time I have come home to Long Island for a visit and
stayed in a hotel, but it was a graduation with lots of family and all the couches were taken, and since I know from experience traveling with kids requires a suite with at
least some kitchen amenities if you want to keep your sanity. When I made the
reservation I got a good rate based on being in the travel industry, which I conveyed
to the reservation agent several times. When I checked in I was told this was a mistake and I needed to be a travel AGENT (which I am not), but the front desk agent was gracious and honored my reservation with my travel industry ID. I had also requested a room near one of the other parties traveling to this function that we wanted to spend some time with, and no one seemed to have that noted, even so they had no problem changing my room to the same floor as our friends. The lobby is very inviting, I love the fireplace, and the breakfast/reception room id very comfortable and seemed to have plenty of room for everyone for breakfast, although I don't know how full the hotel was. The breakfast was fresh and there was always enough to go around, even at the end. The room was well equipped kitchen-wise, and had plenty of bedding for the pullout couch. I also made use of the WI-FI available throughout the hotel. My kids had a great time in the pool, and I was glad it was indoors and I didn't have to constantly be on the lookout for lightning strikes.
The common areas were clean and well maintained, and the rooms were cleaned well daily without disturbing all the junk that come with traveling with kids. This was a very pleasant way to come visit without keeping my hosts up watching bad TV or worrying about my pre-teens leaving their underwear in my hosts bathroom.
The only really strange problem I had was my room keys kept demagnetizing for some reason, the front desk said it was my cell phone, but I've had many a room key next to my cell in my pocket over the years and have never had that happen before. Still , the staff was gracious and helpful EACH time I called to replace my key. A good memory for us and we'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 7, 2006

I have stayed at the Homewood suites many times as I travel to NY often on business. Last year the new hotel was excellent, service was good, the room was well equiped and the complimentary breakfast was well stocked. Today (May 2006) the hotel is already showing signs of wear and tear, not maintained very well, you have to ask the front desk for basic room supplies (like toilet paper) and the breakfast buffet is cleaned out at 7:30am. This is a result of poor management that has not kept up with the increasing demand as more travellers find out about this hotel. I would not reccomend it for stays of long durations.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank DestinationDave_7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Melville Marriott Long Island
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Melville
Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel? Share your experiences!