“Delicious Pizza”

Ranked #53 of 90 Restaurants in Plainview
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed July 11, 2017

For this kosher traveler, finding Hunki's was serendipity. Nother only was their regular pizza delicious, but their gluten free pizza was also delicious. I was told by my sis-in-law who suffers from celiac disease that her pizza was heads above others she had had.
This is not a fancy place to dine but it was absolutely what we needed.

Reviewed May 16, 2016

We actually went to Hunki's twice in one day, before and after a cemetery visit. It is fairly close to the large group of cemeteries, so it gets a point for convenience. The place is fairly small, with spartan furnishings, and zero emphasis on ambience.

The staff there was nice enough. The young woman helping us did so with a smile.

The food tasted fine, as far as that goes. I had a vegetable foccacia (no cheese) that was in the "by the slice" display case. It was heated in the pizza oven and I enjoyed it. The second time in, I had the "winter lentil soup" -- vegetable soup with lentils -- and thought it was very good. I also tried the Cheese and Chocolate Knish out of pure curiosity. No potatoes here (thankfully) and tasted like a cheese and chocolate blintz. Good on the tongue (bad on the waistline!) .

Service, though friendly, was disjointed. With three coffees ordered, by the group, they came at different times, the soup given to the first two was cold and had to be sent back to be microwaved further, and the orders in general arrived haphazardly. The falafels arrived fine, but a request for "hot sauce" produced a question of "do we have hot sauce" by the server, and the arrival of what looked like a taco sauce, and declared as "definitely not hot..." I should add that we were there mid-afternoon, with few other people, so it wasn't because they were so busy that we encountered problems.

So the food was OK, and in spite of the problems, the location (the only kosher pizza near the cemeteries) makes it likely that in similar circumstances we'd go back. Still... if it was anywhere else, it would be a forgettable pizza place.

Prices were not bad.

Reviewed February 24, 2016

The pizza at Hunkis is so good. It is cheesy which I love. They also serve other dairy foods such as falafal, knishes, fish dinners, soup, breakfast sandwiches and kids meals. All of their foods are excellent.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

True, there is not much in the way of kosher pizza in this area of Long Island (Plainview). For that reason some people still visit Hunki's as I did for the very (VERY) last time. This pizzeria is a real dump. I assume since there is no competition, they can get away with that. However, if the first impression is of pure disgusting dirt, I wonder how clean (forget about taste) is the food, the kitchen, owner/chef and employees. By the site of things I would not expect much. I tried the falafel which was terrible (balls were not fresh and over done (microwave?), pizza was very oily and the see thru napkins could not start to absorb the river of oil on the pizza. Basically, stay away. This place needs to be replaced with an honest owner, totally renovated premises and customer focused approach. Prices? forget about it, nothing is worth the poor quality offerings.

2  Thank Leo B
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went there because it's the Kosher pizza place farthest out on Long Island, and figured we would give it a try.

The staff seemed a bit stressed out with the packed store, but the food was very solid, and the portions very generous.

As with most pizza stores, the ambiance isn't terrific, and the place wasn't very pretty.

But, we came for the food, and it was clean, and we left full and happy, so if you're on Long Island and in the mood for pizza, you should definitely stop in and enjoy.

1  Thank A S