“This has gone downhill”

Ranked #29 of 87 Restaurants in Plainview
Plainview, NY
“This has gone downhill”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My family lives in Plainview and this was a regular staple of ours. We would go to Hama almost every other week. The sushi WAS so fresh. The business has now been bought by someone else and it has totally gone downhill. The sushi is not that fresh anymore. It is actually too cold most of the time tasting like ice. They are very into their presentation. I have been getting the sushi on plates that have lights that light up in different colors, flowers on the plates & most recently baby's breath spread across the fish. I'm not sure about anyone else but I don't appreciate eating a piece of sushi that might still have a little piece of a flower on it that I didn't realize was still there. I also am finding now that it is hard to talk with the staff since it seems that most of them do not speak English. I shouldn't have to repeat myself several times to get the waitress to understand that we need napkins or a straw.

My family has now totally written this place off. I guess we will have to try the sushi restaurant down the toad next time.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank debsny1

NEW CUMBERLAND
“Absolutely great food, great menu, and great, quaint atmosphere.”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Hana Sushi is an absolute gem of a restaurant. A very large and diverse Asian menu with something for everyone -- even non-sushi eaters. I actually had lunch and dinner there on one day, and again lunch the next day. The food is so varied, fresh and delicious, I never felt I was eating at the same restaurant. I have yet to have a bad meal there and always go to Hama when in town (I'm from out of State).

• Visited October 2013
Mineola, New York
“Best Sushi on LI!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've tried out many "great" sushi restaurants that people recommend but nothing ever comes close to Hama. I've been going to this restaurant now for 6 years and it blows all the other ones out of the water by far. The freshness and quality of the food is what brings me back every time. The Spicy 2 in 1 roll is definitely a huge hit every time I go with friends. Their appetizer Beef Negamaki with cheese in it is fantastic and can also be an entree (larger portion).

My fiance and I went there a week ago and being that he was planning a special evening (he proposed later that night), he snuck over to our waiter and secretly asked if the chef's could arrange the rolls in the shape of a heart. They went above and beyond with how they created our meal. It was even made so that each roll was half of a heart and they put it togeter as a whole.

I have never brought anyone to this restaurant who has not liked it. The prices have gone up a little over the years, but now they are on par with all of the other sushi places. They have also added Thai food to their menu however I have yet to try it. If you get the chance, please stop in, you will not regret it!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Crissy L
Port Washington, New York
“Adorable chef gives personal touch”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We happened to go to dinner here because we were just passing by, and it was perfectly fine, nice atmosphere and typical prices. We sat at the sushi bar and we were so charmed by the main sushi chef, a very young man who looks like the Olympic skater Apolo Anton Ono. He makes everything himself (e.g., the tamago) and is so friendly and helpful and funny. In my opinion, he is the reason to return to Hama Sushi, and I would only stay if I could sit at the sushi bar again. The waitress was not the greatest--she pushed very expensive appetizers on us and messed up my order a little. Overall a very nice dinner though.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank flyermontana
Plainview, New York
“Average sushi, service is lacking”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Not my favorite sushi place. The sushi is average. The service is poor to fair. Very cold waitress staff at times.

Visited September 2011