“Stay at this hotel...wonderful staff, wonderful manager, wonderful hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is hotel is the best value for money on Long Island. If you stay often as we do, it's best to join the Hilton Honors program. The staff at this Hilton is wonderful - we have dealt with other hotels where this is not the case. The staff here go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable and feel welcome. John in particular is a staff member that makes a special effort always and anytime we had a problem he was quick to sort it out right away. He also knew both our names after the first time we stayed there and that we were Hilton Honors, and that is something that is very appreciated. The rooms have all the amenities, microwave, fridge, tv, etc and the beds are comfortable. The large breakfast often comes with the hotel rate if you are AAA or during special promotions. You can get a made to order omlete and then there are a large variety of other things - waffles, eggs, pancakes, cereal, etc. The manager Peter Rooney is a very good manager and caring person which is what we found after hurricane Sandy when he took measures to make sure that rooms would be available to families and individuals affected by Sandy. We gave up our room one weekend to help Peter make room for a family that needed a warm place to stay. We cannot say enough good things about this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on end of hallways are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We've stayed here a couple times and it's been great both times. It's tucked in a quiet business park with plenty of parking and is clean and modern all around. The rooms and lobby are cut from the typical Hilton Garden Inn cloth which is a good thing in my book. On our last stay I was particularly pleased with the quality of service at the breakfast buffet. Our server Jim went out of his way to help us navigate the offerings and even brought food over for the kids once they were seated. They've got eggs/omelets made to order and better-than-average selections on the buffet. An assortment of Starbucks coffee too. Quite unexpectedly nice!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was surprised at how clean and comfortable this hotel is. The lobby, rooms, hallways, and restaurant all have a nice, new feel to them. The rooms are comfortable and the gym was good, if a little crowded at 6:30am. My only complaint is that the staff at the restaurant at night was a bit rude. We arrived at the hotel late and wanted to get some food -- the waitress rolled her eyes and made sure we understood that we were late and the kitchen was closing in 5 mins. The kitchen closes when it closes, but why be so rude about it?

The breakfast wait staff was quite pleasant, on the other hand, and the quality of the breakfast was good.

The hotel is very convenient to the Long Island Expressway and is easy to get to.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 17Dec1903
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed there on work assignment during the Hurricane Sandy cleanup.

The rooms were large and clean, with enough room that two people can have their own space. A nice large bathroom. The fitness room was nice, but the machines are showing their are and in need of service. They have a print/fax office with computers available. The staff was very nice and tried to be accomodating.

Con - There is no continental breakfast, coffee only. Coffee starts at 7 on weekends, which is a problem when you start work at 7. They do have a breakfast buffet for 14.95 - PASS!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We booked two rooms. We called no less than three times to be sure they would be next to or at the least across from each other. Checked in and got two different floors. Not to mention my room was accessible. So that was my first issue. Now I changed rooms and we were another floor away from each other. The offered a smoking room to be closer. What hotel left has smoking rooms! Called again and my sister finally got moved to the same floor. Next issue, room service out of everything we tried, even vanilla ice cream!? My room was very noisy. Had to call three or four times before they asked the people to lower their tv. Paid to for pay or view only you couldn't view because he kept turning on and off.
Nothing was done. A housekeeper sent up with new keys laughing at us. A front desk person who does would rather get three calls on an issue than take care of it. Sheraton is across the street, try that please instead you'll be happier.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Rbl525
HGI-GM-Melville, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Melville, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

I am so sorry we were unable to get your rooms next to each other. Since Hurricane Sandy hit, it has been very hard to accommodate requests for adjoining rooms as the hotel has been very busy.

As for you your other concerns please call me so that we can discuss and make the proper adjustments to your bill. We want our guests to be satisfied, so please call me so we can make that happen.

My apologies and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed at this Hilton Garden Inn just for one night on business, but my stay was excellent. I do quite a a bit of travel for work, but this was by far my best experience. This will sound silly, but the moment I walked in I was struck by how clean it looked and smelled! I had a very hectic morning and it was like walking into an oasis. There was fire burning in the hotel lobby and it was very welcoming. There was even a tray of cookies set out. The staff was very friendly. I arrived an hour before check in and it wan't an issue. Check in took about a minute. My room had a microwave, refridgerator, and coffee pot. The room was very nice and spacious - with plenty of outlets! I can't tell you how many times I've had to crawl around looking for outlets behind nightstands or desks! I went down to the bar for dinner and a drink, and it looked like they had offered complimentary appetizers earlier in the evening. I only had an appetizer and salad, but both were well prepared and fresh. The next morning the complimentary breakfast was impressive - eggs, potatos, meat, bagels, muffings, croissants, oatmeal, cereal, fresh fruit, juices, yogurt, and coffee from Starbucks. Just when I thought I could not be more impressed, I left a small stack of papers behind on the desk. Just miscellaneous items from my purse such as receipts, a to-do list, I do stand up comedy as a hobby and I had some comedy notes written down, and a music CD in a paper sleeve that was mixed in with the other items. What I'm trying to say is it didn't look like much and I thought for sure it would have been thrown away. It wasn't until I was back home the next day that I realized I left the items behind. I called housekeeping - and they saved my stuff! I guess the housekeeper wasn't sure what to do with the stuff, asked her supervisor, and her supervisor told her to keep it. I couldn't believe it! In addition to the above, the hotel is right off the highway and very close to shopping centers, etc. Thank you so much for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Mary K,

Thank you for the kind words about the Hilton Garden Inn Melville. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!!!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

After Hurricane Sandy, my company was sent to Long Island to help restore power. There were 44 of us in need of hotel rooms and the staff went above and beyond to ensure we had a place to stay there. The staff was very helpful and understading!! The field guys and myself appreciate all their efforts and patience during our stay. While staying there, the hotel was very clean, the rooms were comfortable and the staff was very pleasant. The general manager, Peter Rooney, was great to work with.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Christi,

How are you? Thank you for your comments about the Hilton Garden Inn Melville, I greatly appreciate it.

I also want to thank you and your team for helping out our community and assisting getting people back into their homes.

Happy Holidays to you and your crew and thank you once again!!!

Peter Rooney

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Melville Marriott Long Island
3 mi away
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Melville? Share your experiences!