“Excellent retreat during Hurricane Sandy”

Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Bellmore, New York
“Excellent retreat during Hurricane Sandy”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My family and I checked in prior to Hurricane Sandy and stayed for 11 days. This hotel was first rate. From the time that we arrived, to the completion of the stay, everyone was outstanding. Special thanks to Peter Rooney, the general manager for his compassion during our time of crisis. He went well beyond the expectations of any hotel manager on Long Island. Under his direction, the service was fantastic. The rooms were always perfectly clean. This hotel had just about anything that you can ask for. It had a very clean pool, exercise room, and outstanding restaurant. I highly recommend this hotel establishment to anyone. We will gladly return on better conditions and hopefully not have to witness the destruction of the hurricane.

Room Tip: Super breakfast buffet at $12.95. Outstanding dinner menu.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HGI-GM-Melville, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Melville, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Finerwebdesigner,

It was our pleasure to serve you and your family during such a tough time for all. You and all of our guests were so wonderful and patient during a very busy time at the hotel.

If there is ever anything you or your family needs, please do not hesitate to call me.

Thanks again for the wonderful comments about the Hilton Garden Inn Melville.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Peter Rooney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
new york
Reviewed November 10, 2012

During a time of crisis (Hurricane Sandy) we were lucky enough to wind up with a room here and we are so grateful for that. Despite the difficult reality of not being able to return to our homes, which were in the devastated areas of Long Beach and Breezy Point, NY, we could not have been more fortunate than to be warmly welcomed by such a special group of people. Every staff member that we encountered, the amazing manager- Peter, Matt and everyone at the front desk, the waiters, Craig and food service, housekeeping, maintenance… they all seemed to love what they do and really came through as a team for the many displaced guests who were lucky enough to stay here. We are so thankful for all that they have done in going above and beyond to help our family in many different ways. The amazing crew here made an extremely difficult time that much more bearable in knowing that at the end of the day we could retreat “home” to such a wonderful place filled with wonderful people. We will not forget their kindness. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a spotless, well run, welcoming and friendly place to stay, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank victorialf
HGI-GM-Melville, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Melville, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Victoria,

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was our pleasure to meet such wonderful people. You, your husband and parents are amazingly strong people. To go through the situation you and your family are going through is not easy, yet every evening upon your return to the hotel, your smiles brightened our day.

If you EVER need anything at all please do not hesitate to ask, your Hilton Garden Inn Melville family is here for you!!!

All the best,

Peter
Bethpage, New York
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed in the hotel the night after Hurricane Sandy because we had no power and trees were down on wires in our yard. First they charged $200 for the night, which I highly doubt is what they charged on a typical Tuesday in October. Then, I accidentally left TWO i-phone 5 chargers plugged in when I left the hotel. As soon as I realized I left them I went back to the hotel, they told me noone had checked in yet but the maid had cleaned the room so I went up there and they were gone. If the only person in the room was the maid, explain that to me. So thank you for asking me to go purchase 2 more for $80. The managers response to me was - "I dont think our maids have i-phone 5's"...but im sure the maid wouldnt mind selling the charger, especially when Apple was running out after the hurricane. Dont waste your money at a place where the maids are thieves!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HGI-GM-Melville, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Melville, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Good morning,

I am sorry you feel the way you do. In fact the hotel did just the opposite. During our peak occupancy we typically have our rates set at $199-$229, our hotel typically sells out 5-6 nights per week 10 out of the 12 months per year.

I will also say that from what I have been hearing NO hotels on Long Island have done anything but offer their typical rates.

As for the chargers, I am not sure what happened. I will tell you that this past week I have had diamond earrings, ipads, cell phones and LOTS of other items left behind by our guests, and they have all received their belongings back.

Again, I am sorry for the impression you have our hotel and I hope you have received your power back and are in a warm comfortable home.

Peter
Honesdale
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had booked the hotel months ago in preparation for a family wedding. Little did we know, Hurricane Sandy had other plans.
When my large family and I arrived at the hotel mid-Saturday (11/3) following the wedding ceremony, we found a lobby packed with displaced people waiting and hoping for a room. The computers were down, so everything was being done by hand and the people and the service were exceptional!
I have never seen such kindness and caring in a business. The Inn had set up food and drink for those displaced and as they honored their reservations, asked new registrants to consolidate their rooms so those without a place to stay could have a room. It was the least we could do and were able to give back a couple of rooms to those in need.
But, without computers, room keys could not be coded, so every room had to be opened by hand and the staff did this willingly and with a smile. They were outstanding in their service to everyone and it my great hope that their kindness will someday be rewarded. It was a fantastic experience and I commend all staff for their exceptional caring for their fellow man!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kurt E
Thank you so much for the kind words. It has been our pleasure serving you and your family. I would also like to THANK YOU for helping other families by freeing up rooms for them and for being patient with us upon check in.

It is guests such as you that make our jobs easier at times like this.

THANK YOU!!!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am here for my high school reunion that ended up being cancelled due to hurricane Sandy. This is my 3rd stay at Hilton Garden Inn. All thru this craziness of so many Long Island residents who have been without power for days, the Hilton Garden Inn has been wonderful. The staff has been friendly, comforting, and completely dedicated to accommodating the guests. Standard in every room is a fridge and microwave and countertop. The rooms are simple, clean and comfortable. When I come home to my Long Island, Hilton Garden Inn is my hotel of choice.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank jennie d
lewisnyc,

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a devastating and trying time for all and we appreciate your comments.

The TEAM here at the Hilton Garden Inn Melville, truly care about our guests and we feel for each and everyone that is going through this disaster.

Thank you for your patience as well.

If we can ever be of service to you in the future, please dont hesitate to call.

new york, ny
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Even though I am fiercely loyal to another chain, the HGI Melville is where we always make an exception. We were there opening night several years back, and each visit has been a great experience.

This week, we were evacuated from our NYC neighborhood because of Hurricane Sandy, and we took refuge at the HGI. From the moment we checked in, we knew everything was going to be alright. Despite the onslaught of guests, the front desk associates were cool, calm, quick and professional. Our room was (as always) clean and comfortable, and the refrigerator and microwave were perfect for our evacuation situation. When it looked as though power might be lost, the hotel even handed out flashlights.

Breakfast was hot and fresh each morning and served with a smile. The worst storm in NY Metro history has got to be just about the most trying experience for a management team, and honestly, the service here was better than many 5-star city properties and resorts I've stayed at. The team is truly to be commended for making our evacuation feel ALMOST a bit like a vacation.

1 Thank lewisnyc
San Francisco
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Room and amenity quality as great as my previous stay, but this time the service was not as friendly as before. The staff was not rude or anything, but they were just average and didn't go the extra mile.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
Melville Marriott Long Island
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island
Best Western Woodbury Inn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Melville? Share your experiences!