“great deals” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ayhan's Shish Kebab

Ayhan's Shish Kebab
Reserve with OpenTable
Ayhan's Shish Kebab is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 85 Restaurants in Plainview
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

food is great
service was great
price was great
I would definitely recommend this restaurant
nice and quiet

Visited November 2013
1 Thank mberk

Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Simply Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is my second visit to the area. I am here on business. I have eaten at about 14 different restaurants combining both trips. I have eaten at the Diners, German food, Dominican, American chains, Top Shelf Italian, The Ale House, and others...THIS was by Far the best meal I've eaten in this area of Long Island. The lamb shank was Superb as well as the Greek salad which was sprinkled with fresh dill. The house made Tzatziki was spicy with garlic. The food rivals the excellent restaurants of "Greek Town" in Detroit. The price was average even when compared to the diners. The interior or the restaurant was comfortable and quaint. My waitress Julia was friendly, knowledgeable about the food, and an excellent server. If I were to return to this area again...Ayhan's Shish Kebab would be a destination.

• Visited October 2013
Syosset, New York, USA
“Comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Ayhan's is in our neighborhood and when you just don't feel like cooking this is a good choice. The food is very good and the prices and very resonable

Visited September 2013
Long Island City, New York
“This place used to be so great!....what the heck happened?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We used to frequent this resturant on a bi-monthly basis. The restuarant, although located in an ordinary busteling strip mall, the decor inside was literally enough to make you feel as though you were magically transported to a small village in the heart of greece. Really breathtaking...classic...classy..relaxing. the food was always consistant, service great, and we looked at dining here as an "experience". We were always spectacularly impressed. "Were" being the operative word.

A few weeks ago we dined in as usual and were a bit suprised to find the service slower than maple hill running uphill in january. The waiter was just incredibly calloused, arrogant, and absent. We waited a TERRIBLY long time for everything from silverware, to the drinks, to the food, to the check.

When we finally got the food we were even further dissapointed. My shish-ke-bob was so cold the chunks of meat couldve doubled as ice cubes to put in my drink, which incidentally was brought out warm with no ice cubes in it. The rice, also cold, had a strange aroma...like moldy sweat socks. Both the meat and the rice tasted foul. It wasn't edible. Of course I would have told my waiter, but he ignored my polite "excuse me" and like the song goes "walked on by"...over and over agin. My hubbys lamb was equally as repulsive. We attempted to lodge a complaint, but the waiter just dropped the check without even saying a word. We paid and left. Hungry and confused.

A few months later, my friend and I found ourselves in this same shopping center. She wanted to try, and although skeptical, I agreed. I mean hey, maybe they were just having an off day thay time? I'm all about being fair so I gave it another go.

Uh...nope! We were sat, and there we sat for 5 minutes, 8 minutes, 12 minutes, 16 minutes. The waiters running right past us, we sat there with our menus. After 16 minutes we got up and left...past the waiters, past the hostess, and past a guy in a suit who I assume is an owner or manager or something. They all saw us get up and walk towards the door talking about how we "couldn't believe no one even came over to greet us". No one stopped us. No one cared.

We went to the sushi place next door.

This beautiful resturant is really a shadow of what it used to be. I suggest a managerial overhaul...but in the meantime my fellow trip advisor subscribers I suggest you skip this one.

Two thumbs WAAAAAAAY down.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank thetravelkitten
Mineola, New York
“Going downhill?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Since my very positive April, 2013 review of Ayhan's Shish Kabob in Plainview ("Always a Treat"), I'm sorry to report some recent disappointing experiences with this restaurant. I think it's fair to say that when a patron re-visits a favorite place, it's not difficult to discern when things change for the worse. And such was the case with my last 3 visits to Plainview Shish Kabob.

To summarize the issues of my concern:

1) on one occasion waiting over 10 minutes on a week-day afternoon (around 5 pm) for service, and finally to have a waitress appear and aplogize, saying "sorry, we all had to be in a meeting." Hello?? A meeting of all the wait staff while customers are coming in and waiting for service?

Where's the management here???

2) on another visit, a very sweet young hostess seated my wife and I and, despite several requests for water, this again took over 5 minutes to get some attention while the cutey hostess was engrossed in a lively conversation with a few of the male staff gathered near the bar. Not nice to ignore regular paying customers.Frankly, it's insulting

3) ordered the chicken kabob salad for myself and a colleague at a business lunch yesterday, and the salad arrived limpy and soggy - had to be at least a day old! And the chicken was dried out. Where's the quality control in the kitchen? How could you let something like this get to a customer's table???

4) and finally, the wandering busboy - a guy dressed in white who paces up and down the aisles looking for dirty dishes and glasses. OK, he wants to get the plates to the dishwasher, but someone has to tell this guy to clean up his act! There's nothing more un-appetizing than a busboy constantly walking about with food stains on his jacket and pants, and dirty white shoes. Not to mention the scowl on his face! (Isn't he happy to have a job?)

Sorry, but such restaurant behavior is inexcusable.

I always loved Ayhan's places, especially Port Washington - but something is wrong in Plainview!! A degree of complacency if not arrogance has set in that, if unchecked will only further deteriorate its reputation.

Ayhan has always associated his name with QUALTY - but in Plainview, there's some quality AND quality management definitely missing.

• Visited August 2013