“Unique, independent cafe!”

Village Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Bakeries in Pittsford
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“Unique, independent cafe!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stopped here for a coffee and stayed for lunch! Super friendly, independent bakery/cafe. Family friendly. Lots of great breakfast and lunch options and fantastic coffee!!! Pass by the major chain coffee shop and make your way to the next door Village Bakery and Cafe - you won't regret it!

Visited April 2014

Rochester, NY
“Mouthwatering!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Delicious! Everything on the menu is fabulous! I had one of the breakfast sandwiches (again), others in our party had a pastry and french toast. The french toast was a huge and wonderful treat. Refills on great coffee, super table service and staff that is always on top of things. Parking is always tight, but the Town lot is across the street. Seating is individual tables and family style and it works. When we really want a morning treat, this is where we go!

Visited February 2014
Farmington, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful food, but expect to be treated by management as a crazy person if you have complaints”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've been taking lunches at the Village Bakery for the past two years. Apart from the overwhelming variety of pastries, where the fruit strip is my go-to favorite, I love the sandwiches. The sandwiches are all interesting and the flavors and textures well thought-out. If I was doing work at the nearby library, I always made a habit of stopping by for lunch or, more recently, a coffee. So long as you have no complaints, the staff is courteous and friendly.

But I don't think I'll be going back, and the issue is one that ought to have been insignificant but was so badly handled that I felt disrespected. I ordered a Vanilla Bean Latte on 2/3/2014, which was listed under Coffees on the pricing blackboard (something like $1.75 small/1.95 med/2.05 large), but the price rang up $1.50 more than what was listed. I asked the cashier to explain and was told that what I ordered was $3.50. Which is fine, but nowhere on the board is that price listed or is there any indication at all that the price for the Latte is higher. The cashier sent for the manager and I explained to her my confusion and asked if they intended to honor the price on the board, and was treated like I was the one being unreasonable. I was told variously that I was getting a good deal on the latte even at $3.50, that no one else got confused (I guess other patrons are psychic), that the board was from a year ago, and here have a free coffee next time said with just enough of an edge to make it clear that she simply wanted me to go away. I didn't want the free coffee--only for them to understand why I would be confused and for them to courteously fix the problem. Something like: "I see what you're saying and the board should have had the correct price clearly listed. We'll take care of it, but in the meanwhile we'll honor the price on the board." But that would have required admitting a mistake, so instead the manager argued with me and brushed me off.

TL;DR version: if you have any complaints/concerns, expect to be put on the defensive by their management and made to feel not only like you're a fool but as if they don't care if you come back or not. I was a loyal customer, but I won't be going back.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Chris S
Allie G, Guest Relations Manager at Village Bakery and Cafe, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Chris S,

I am very sorry and absolutely embarrassed to hear of the poor treatment you received recently when visiting us on Monday. I personally take full responsibility for the misunderstanding and will make sure we are more clear with our signage in the future to avoid such confusion.

As for the way you were treated by one of our team members, there is simply no excuse. We believe firmly that “the guest is always right” no matter the instance…especially in cases like this when you were 100% correct. The manager on duty should have made this clear to you and handled it much better than she did. We aren’t gaining anything by proving someone wrong. We should have accommodated your request and taken responsibility for the incorrect signage.

While your business is certainly valuable to us, it is more important for us to build a relationship with you and the community around us. This visit does not demonstrate our efforts and we simply do not want our friends and neighbors being made to feel this way. I am truly sorry that you were short-changed on this goal of ours.

Since we failed to take care of this properly when you brought it to our attention in the store, I would like to offer a refund to you. This is certainly not an offer to “buy you back", but a true effort to make things right. If we happen to win you back in the process, we will be indebted to you for that chance to serve you again. If you would like to grant us that opportunity, please send a mailing address. Regardless of what you choose, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Without which we simply would not know how we could better serve our guests. Thanks again.

Allie G
Rochester, New York, United States
“Family favority”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Not only does VB&C have wonderful bakery items (breads, pastries, cakes, cupcakes, etc.) but they serve wonderful breakfast and lunch items for those great family weekend breakfasts/brunches. And it's a nice spot for families of all ages and numbers - couples, parents with babies, young families, parents with teens. Seating is somewhat limited so get there early (or Sundays, better than Saturday), and plan on sharing a table. Wonderful egg sandwiches!

• Visited November 2013
Harwich, Massachusetts
“Comfort Food Comfortably Served”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

What can i say...this is a must go to place after our annual 500 mile drive. Atmoshere, service and food are all excellent. Sure would like to have this place in our hometown...but then again like the Pittsford Dariy if i frequented it as i felt i would be bigger than a house. Awesome treat and higgly recommended.

• Visited November 2013