“Back to Great!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Rochester, NY
“Back to Great!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We went to JoJo last night for dinner after taking a break after a couple of not so good experiences about a year and a half ago. The food was awesome! We had such a great dinner. Everything was excellent but the grilled romaine salad, in my opinion, was just incredible. The service was fantastic. It's nice to see them get back on track! I know a few people that I'd spoken to were having bad experiences a few years ago as well and we decided to go back after hearing through the grapevine that they'd changed some things. I'm so glad that we did, it was wonderful. Looking forward to coming back again soon.

Visited March 2014

Fairport, New York
“LOVE this place!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The atmosphere and ambiance of JoJos is like no other! Love the decor, great wine selection....the bar is awesome and the food as well!! Great place to meet with friends for drinks and stay for dinner! Their pizza's are the bomb!! Nice thin crust, not too heavy on the toppings and fit well into my healthy eating plan!!!

Can't wait to go back!

• Visited March 2014
Rochester, New York, United States
“Good atmosphere. Mediocre food.”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Trendy place in Pittsford. Apparently owned by the same people who own TRATA. Decent sized dining area and a full bar. Decorated quite well. Clientele on the night I went there mostly included thirty somethings out for a drink, men in suits who looked like they were unwinding after a long day at work and girls on a night out. The place is loud. Service was prompt and the waiters/waitresses were helpful and courteous.

What ruined the otherwise great ambiance was the food. The Jo Jo burger was dry and slightly overcooked. It came with lettuce which did not look or taste fresh. I like my burger juicy and this one was the opposite. I had to douse it with ketchup to make its passage through my esophagus easier.

The white truffle parmesan fries were good. Nothing to write home about however. Serving size was small.

The Jo Jo Dough for dessert was the only thing that everyone enjoyed. Fried dough balls with delicious vanilla ice cream poured on top. My friends ordered the carrot cake and another cake they had on their menu and both were very mediocre.

Prices were reasonable. Bathrooms are well stocked and mostly clean.

I could consider coming back here in the future maybe for the atmosphere but I probably won't. I'd need a lot of persuasion. Would rather go to TRATA instead.

• Visited January 2014
NY
“Short Ribs were great but...”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The noise level was so discomforting. This place is a happy hour bar. The people that are around the bar area 'shout and yell' at each other and could care less if your table is next to them.

As far as the food goes: I can tell you that the Charcuterie Platter for the price was a joke and insult. I received a couple dried up pieces of speck or prosciutto--couldn't really tell what it was as it was too dry, and tiny pieces of cheese that looked like a mouse got to it before we did. You can get better quality meats at Wegmans for $13-$15 per pound! I don't expect a pound but I do expect it to be sliced to order and enough for at least 2 - 3 people. After all they say it serves 2-3 for $15 bucks. It was pre-sliced leftovers and I think the servers got to it before we did. FYI Jo Jo (whoever you are): A Charcuterie platter should have 4 or 5 varieties of cured meats and more than one piece of each - Hello!

The Short Ribs were great. Tender and juicy and the sauce had great flavor but... you can't get them with the polenta anymore (which is a shame) according to their current menu.

We also shared a pizza. My wife thought it to be awesome but I dont like cracker crust pizza (with barely any toppings) that can be used as a weapon if tied onto the end of a stick. I like traditional wood fired Napolitano pizza which is what I thought it would be but it was far from italian.

A proper crust should be crisp on the outside but chewy in the middle with toppings flowing to the center. There was no Cornicione which means they probably used a rolling pin to destroy the dough. After all, they do have a wood fired oven. Why not take the next step and follow a traditional recipe.

One final point - Why is it that restaurants serve wine by the 1/3 glass? In Europe, most paces serve by the Bottle or Carafe (half or full). Then you pour it yourself. After all, this is a Wine Bar! 3 or 4 oz. of wine at $7-$10 dollars? Far too many US restaurants follow this consumer rip-off American tradition.

My Jo Jo recommendation is to order your food to go, stop by the liquor store, pick up a bottle of wine, run into Wegmans for some cured meats and take it all home for a quiet romantic evening. Else, if you go there be sure to make reservations and ask to be seated way in the back unless you have earplugs and know sign language.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MrGzReview
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“The opposite of intimate”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were a group of six and when we walked in we knew that it was not going to be an intimate dinner. The place is dominated by a large bar that was maybe three people deep. We had a reservation and were seated immediately. But the noise level was deafening! It was hard enough to hear the person next to you and there was just no chance to hear someone down the table from you. The food was ordinary. A squash soup was okay, fries with a steak, just cooked frozen fries from Sysco. The wine list was was good. Service was good for a very busy night. But I just wanted to get out of there to get away from the noise.

• Visited October 2013