“Great Adirondack getaway”
Review of Irondequoit Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Piseco
Irondequoit Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Piseco B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Adirondack getaway”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Irondequoit Inn is like visiting the Adirondacks several decades ago. Lots of activities and lots of quiet, both. The Innkeepers are especially friendly and accommodating. Many visitors come back year after year, and it works for couples as well as family/friends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Even though I live in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, I can't wait to get back to the IrondIquoit Inn. I first visited in the summer of 1981 when my husband took me to visit his family holding a reunion there. Since that initial visit I have returned numerous times and have been able to stay in the full variety of accomodations. We have camped by the lake. - delightful. We have lived in cabins and had lovely rooms in the Inn. -cozy and rustic. We have been able to match the needs of our family with an available accomodation. The proximity to trails, activities, museums and nature centers is ideal. It is also a perfect place to just relax quietly and enjoy the beauty of the Adirondaks. I just recommended the Irondoqoit to a business acquaintance.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed February 3, 2010

You don't go to the Irondequoit for opulent accommodations. It is an old Adirondack Inn and it shows it. But if you're looking to enjoy the Adirondacks away from the noise and commotion of Old Forge, Long Lake, or Lake Placid, this is the place.

It's old, but it's not a dump. Unlike another reviewer, we did not find a lack of hot water or working toilets in the (shared) bathrooms. No warnings about putting toilet paper into the septic system. We found it rustic and quiet -- just what we were looking for.

Like another reviewer said, the people there checking you in do not own the place. They are just innkeepers (and they live there). It is owned by an association -- families which each own a part of the property and run it in absentia. Therefore, the upkeep of the property may not be as current as it would be if an owner was there every day. But, we have never found the property to be unacceptably dirty.

To us, the most attractive feature of the Inn is its orientation on Piseco Lake to watch the sunrises from the front porch. The porch faces south, and the sun rises to your left as you sit on the porch in one of the several rocking chairs there. It's mesmerizing to watch the sun gently burn the morning fog off of the lake and from between the pine trees. To watch the angle the shadows make against the trees as the sun slowly rises. Then, when Mother Nature's show is over, to head into the rustic dining room for a hearty Adirondack breakfast.

To enjoy this show, one has to be up around 6 AM in the summer. The dining room staff arrive around this time, but they do not put out the coffee until about 6:45. So, for 45 minutes to an hour, you have to sit on the porch without your morning brew. We submitted a suggestion to the association recommending that the first thing the staff should do when they arrive in the morning is put out the coffee for the guests. Then they can proceed preparing the breakfast items. We hope they took our suggestion. We'll find out when we next stay there.

Another enjoyable thing to do at the Inn is walk across the street into the woods and walk until you hit the "baths". A babbling mountain stream with plenty of rocks to sit on and enjoy lunch with your favorite beverage. Soak your feet, too, in the cool water. We only found out about the "baths" by questioning the innkeepers about the property. We also submitted a recommendation to the association that they write up the things to do in and around Piseco, laminate it, and put a copy in each room so the guests will be more informed.

All-in-all, we recommend the Irondequoit. Hopefully the owners will keep the property in acceptable shape -- enough to keep the people coming back but not "improve" it so much that it becomes yet another glitzy motel in the mountains. Heaven forbid they should tear it down and replace it with something "newer and better".

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BigBirdPhiladelphia
Greenfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 1, 2009

My week long stay at the Irondequoit Inn, in Piseco NY, was much more than I envisioned it would be. There were plenty of activities to keep myself or a family busy for more than a week. One can hike or bike on a snowmobile trail directly from the Inn property or take a short paddle from the Inn’s sandy beach over to their Private Island for a picnic and hike. On the Island there is also a small sandy beach for the adventurous person to take a swim.
If you’re a paddler, like I am, you will be happy to discover that the Inn is located close to several great bodies of water that can take you on a leisurely or wilderness paddle. But be prepared to meet up with a few beaver dams!
Although breakfast was not included in the price of my efficiency, I chose to get the whole Irondequoit experience by joining the Inn Guests for breakfast in the dining room on the day of my departure. I found the server to be friendly, food service fast and my tasty meal prepared to my special requests.
I found the guests who were also staying at Irondequoit to be friendly and welcoming. One evening the sounds of singing could be heard throughout the property. I and two other friends, who also love to sing, introduced ourselves to several families sitting around a campfire. Guitars, banjos and song books were shared, songs were sung and fond memories created!
I am an adventure and explore. My wonderful positive experience at the Irondequoit Inn is what will keep me coming back time and again. I look forward to my next trip to Piseco Lake this fall!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
pittsburgh pa
Reviewed August 31, 2009

This is our tenth year at the Inn. We started coming when a friend from college invited us to join them, she had gone to the Inn every year growing up. We have stayed in the Inn, camped, and rented the cabins. Its always great. Its a place where your children are safe to run around a play and experience nature and grow in confidence and independence. Its hiking, swimming, kayaking out to the island and campfires and s'mores at night. Its playing uno with your kids, and probably the kids in the cabin next door, on rainy days. Warm days and crisp nights, with loons calling to each other across the lake. Its somewhere we look forward to going every year. A place to reflect, recharge, that remains almost unchanged and where you can mark the changes in your children every year.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We just stayed at the irondequoit inn for a weekend. We had stayed before years ago and liked it enough to return. Yikes! The place had changed alot. Bottom line is that the Inn desparately needs a major renovation with regards to essential maintanance! From water damaged walls poorly patched in our bedroom to being asked to "NOT FLUSH TOILET PAPER DOWN THE TOILET?!" to the water in the shower going from ok to ice water to no water,,,it's upgrade time! Especially regarding the toilet. The only other place I've been asked to "not flush the toilet paper" is in rural Mexico where they have no sewers. In Mexico I wasn't paying for an expensive b&b room. At the irondequoit I was. Won't be back...sorry.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rev123
MASSACHUSETTS
Reviewed July 17, 2009

we started going to the irondequoit some years back. we have camped at camp site 1, stayed in the inn and stayed in a cabin. it's truly a special place with incredible history. the former innkeepers and the present innkeepers have always made us feel so welcome and at home. located on piseco lake great area for kayaking, hiking, running, birding, campfires etc etc etc. we have met so many wonderful people there and we stay in touch with them now on a regular basis. i always feel the adirondacks is like my home away from home and being at the irondequoit so puts me at peace!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Irondequoit Inn? Share your experiences!