“Packing and other Tips/Info - Great JumpStart to Lose those xtra lbs!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pine Hill
Jump Start New York
New York City, New York
“Packing and other Tips/Info - Great JumpStart to Lose those xtra lbs!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect when I arrived for my 7 day Bootcamp and Juice fast Retreat in the Catskills, but it turned out to be exactly what I wanted. It jumpstarted my matabolism and lost 8.5 lbs in 7 days.

Just know, this will not be for everyone. It is rustic, outdoorsy, no food (except a salad at dinner if you option for this), and far away from bigger town. This is NOT a spa retreat, although there is a hot tub in the gym to use.

Helpful Hints:
- Most people there wanted to lose betw 10-50 lbs, so we were all in pretty good shape.
- Age ranged from 30's-60's and most people came alone.
- The group consisted of both men and women.
- There's room for about 8-10 people to stay there at a time, so class sizes stay small and personal.
- Bootcamp is moderate, not advanced.
- Don't let it scare you that you are doing a Bootcap without eating food. You drink enough juice meals that you do not feel hungry.
- You get to try out a bunch of classes that you may not have tried before: Kick boxing, zumba, Pillates, Yoga, and Circut Training.
- The trainers did a good job making you feel like you had a one-on-one personal trainer.

Packing tips:
- They provide thick yoga mattes, water bottle, and some first aid (band-aids, advil, icy-hot), so no need to bring them yourself.
- You are busy from 9am-6:30pm and then you just want to go to sleep. We slept about 10-12 hrs each night.
- Don't bring too much non-workout clothes or reading materials as you will not have much time to use them.
- I found my Camelpack water pack useful on the morning hikes.
- I brought my electric heating pad and used that everynight on my sore muscles.
- A water proof windbreaker would be useful - you hike in the rain it it's not too rainy

Things to do:
- You can visit Woodstock, about 30-40 min East, but most of their stores close around 5/6pm.
- Closest Drug store is in Phonecia, about 15-20 min away.
- They have Board Games, DVD, Books available, plus TV in your room.

I made some new friends and we're thinking of going again next year.

7 Thank shainatv

Business
Hartford
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

This place is All about juicing , no nutrition classes, no food & the fitness classes were not boot camp like as expected , and if your looking for yoga they only had one class the whole week.good for beginners ,not fit minded ..not worth the$$$

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Sanwil
Waterloo
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I did the 4 night bootcamp offered through Groupon. I was struggling for months to lose even one pound and getting really frustrated. I lost 3.5 lbs in the 4.5 days I spent at Birchcreek. It was exactly what I was hoping for! Small groups, rustic but comfortable atmosphere, inspiring and helpful trainers, juice fasting plus plenty of exercise, a daily walk outside in the fresh Catskill mountain air, time alone at night to relax/reflect/read/watch tv/enjoy some me time. I left one week ago and have lost another 2.2 lbs on my own. The average person was looking to lose 10 to 50 lbs and improve their overall health. If you want an over-the-top luxurious experience like Canyon Ranch this is not the place for you. If you want to eat 3 meals a day and only occasionally get some exercise probably also not your ideal retreat. But for me it was ideal!!! I had an amazing massage one night, there is also a hot tub and an outdoor pool. Very picturesque property and my king room was nicely appointed, fire place, private bathroom, cozy and charming feel. I am hoping to return with a friend in January.

4 Thank Kristin220
NJ
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I did the 4 night boot camp thru Groupon. I 've never dieted before & was looking to lose 5 lbs. B & B style rooms, which were very clean. I had #22, bed/pillows were comfortable; room was quiet except for the creek running just outside-very nice. WIFI worked well as did my cell (verizon). I had planned to do the healthy meal plan, but since all the other women were juicing, I gave it a try. While I didn't feel hungry or ill, if I had to do over, I would take the meal plan. They made me a beet/apple salad my last night, which was delish! I lost 2 1/2 lbs, 2" off my waist & 1" off my belly. Best part was the am walks & we were able to do many of the classes outside. All the staff/trainers were very good. Had a deep tissue massage with MaryEllen, who was excellent. Cons: ingredients/nutrition info of what was served wasn't included; program advertised walk + 3 hours of fitness classes & 1 hour of yoga every day, but only the walk & 3 hours of fitness were scheduled each day. (not sure I needed another class, but I was looking forward to yoga at the end of each day). We did have 1 yoga & 1 stretching class while I was there. Overall, good way to jump start losing some weight.

2 Thank Michelle219
New Jersey
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I did a 7-day boot camp program at the NY location.

I will start with what I liked…
- Healthy and clean eating/juicing
- Great trainers and good work-outs
- Weight loss – note – you will lose weight because all you’re doing is juicing and may be a raw meal a day. Most of the weight lost will be water weight and it will come back unless you maintain a similar lifestyle after leaving the retreat.
- Kick start healthy living

What I hope they would improve…

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but when I showed up to an old house at the end of a horrible drive-way, I was not very impressed with the premises. If you are on their website and looking at the NY gallery, only about 5 of the photos are of the actual NY location. Not sure where they got the other photos from because I sure didn’t see what they had on those photos. The rooms are comfy but the rest of the premises can be improved…there is one work-out room, an above ground deck pool, and that’s about it for the Birchcreek “Spa” and retreat.

According to their web site, upon arrival I was to get an orientation with a weigh in and measurements…I didn’t. I got a file with a few printouts and was asked to read at my leisure. I was weighed in, but no measurements. No explanations or overviews were given about the program, juicing, etc. The other guests were nice enough to get me educated on the day’s events but that information was not provided by the staff.

The NY location has one or two people (mostly one person) during the day at the house but there was no staff overnight. They basically run a one-man show…the person who checks you in, is the person who serves your juice, and the person who does the weigh-ins, etc. Also, no one is allowed in their kitchen area. They lock the kitchen overnight.

On their website they talk about nutrition classes and learning how to eat clean, etc. but you are given that information ONLY if you enroll for a specific program. I was there for the boot-camp program and therefore not given any nutrition-related information. When I asked whether there were classes, videos, or documents that I might be able to get, their response was (and I quote) “you don’t get that with your program”.

And finally, the admin staff is rude!!! (I am not referring to the great trainers and not the lovely lady who prepares the juices and meals during the week), I am referring specifically to the two ladies who do the check-ins and the weigh-ins…they are truly rude! This was an observation made by all of the guests.

I won’t be returning and definitely will not be recommending to friends. Plan to try another place next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank gypsygal123
Melville, New York
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Maria was my first contact at the location, and what a pleasant girl she is. Very relaxed and personable, but bf my reservation was complete I must have called the owner Julie several times, sometimes 2x per day to indulge me that there really was a program and that I would be welcomed with fitness enthusiasts who were going to work my muscles through their training knowledge.
I went to see the country, but came away 6 pounds lighter and with an amazing adventure loaded with high energy juicing and just delightful tour guides and experiences both with birchcreek and with locals.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank srchen4
North Carolina
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I think your experience is dependent greatly on your expectations and readiness fro the program. If you are looking for this to be like the Waldorf Astoria or Mandarin Oriental you will be disappointed. Birch Creek Pine Hill is like staying at a very nice B & B (bed and breakfast) in a quiet setting with nature all around. The house is probably 100 plus years old with all the charm of that era. There are plenty of places to curl up and read a book, sit on the deck and sip your tea or chat with your new friends. The style is laid back and relaxed so you can recharge from the stresses of work and home or just rest after a hard workout.

I travel for business a good amount and stay in many nice hotel chains. This is not a hotel chain. This is a nice rustic retreat where you can get in shape, lose weight, change old patterns, and unwind. It is clean and the cleaning staff works hard to keep it that way. Can you find little things that are not perfect - yes. Are they big deals, not really- especially when put in perspective to with what you hope to accomplish.

You get this setting along with a excellent workout program where you can push yourself as hard as you want or go at the pace you need. It is nice to be exposed to and try different types of excursive. I did yoga, rebounding, kick boxing,and Pilates. I used weights, bands, walls and balls of all types. If i could not do something due to a knee injury, we would figure out another way to get results.

There were a mix of fitness levels while I was there and they did a good job of working in the different levels. I am not super fit anymore so I can not speak to how it would be for a marathon runner, but it was perfect for me.
Sophia is a Gem! Stacey and Tracey are also great. There are a few different trainers and different programs you can go with. I learned a lot from trainers Jeff and Kathy.

For me it was a perfect start to getting my body back. I was a athlete in my younger days and was not only thin, I was very fit. I enjoyed moving and it was hard to get me to stop. Over the years I raised kids, worked, took care of family and friends- everyone except myself. As a result I stopped looking in the mirror and when I finally did at 46, I did not like what I saw. I had become overweight and out of shape. I am not very coordinated and have had a hard time fitting in the gym scene.

At Birch Creek I found other people who were in the same boat and ready for change. Jeff, one of the trainers, helped me focus on what I could do well and improve on what I could not. I never felt stupid if I could not do an exercise or was slower than someone else.

The first walk I brought up the rear and could only go an hour of the walk with the group. Tracey walked me back and encouraged me on what I had accomplished. Each day I improved and by the 7th day I made it to the top of the trail - a nice uphill mountain trail.

The juicing was better than I thought it would be. I loved most of the juices though a couple definitely needed some hot sauce to get thru. I tried and liked things I never thought I would. The first 4 days were really just like what Sophia had prepared me for. On the hump day I was beat and even took a nap between workouts. The next day I felt terrific and did each day after. I lost 10 lbs in a week, definitely gained a lot of my muscle back and built up my endurance.

I chose 2 massages. I had a deep tissue on my second night and a lymphatic after my hump day. I think these were very good choices to go along with the program.

Beyond the great weight loss, my shape changed. Things shifted in a very good way. When I got home my husband and sons could not believe how good I looked and that my biceps were so much bigger :). My clothes hang differently. One of the best things was when they each came to me, separately, and shared how proud they were of me!

I am proud of me too! I finally did something for myself. I wish I could have stayed 2 weeks this time. I plan to keep up what I learned there and hope to go back with in the next 6 months to a year.

Finally - I think it is always the staff that can make the difference in a person's experience. The owners are lucky to have the staff they do.

LF

#3 of 3 in Fleischmanns
Spillian: A Place to Revel
Spillian: A Place to Revel
#1 of 3 in Fleischmanns

Been to Jump Start New York? Share your experiences!