All reviewslife changingron and julieweight lossde stressexercise classeslife stylejuices and smoothiescertain foodsstretch classesher husbandlbsprogramnutritionhealthresultspoundsretreat
Reviewed February 28, 2011

i looked at places around at many different weight loss places on line. their web site is lovely, however what you see is NOT what you get .first the place is rustic, old, and needs a MAJOR OVERHAUL, everything needs help . the house is cold. the rooms are cold and i never got warm. the lectures that ron gave were o.k, but not of great interest. we need to know how to lose weight and keep it off, and he goes on about stuff that is out of books that i could read on my own. every time i wanted to ask a question he waved me off, and at the end of the talk left and went off campus, i never saw him again that day.i noticed that everyone gets the same juice,sometimes in plastic containers.i don't think that's to healthy, the exersizes classes were great, and the massages from barbara were the best i had in my life she was such a wealth of information o n health and wellness and has had many years in this field.sophia who walked with me was lovely and an asset. but on the whole the place need help. ron and julie seem to dissapear and are seldom around . i had to ask the house keeper for my juices when i over slept and she had no idea where things were, and she was the only person on the premises, i was about to go hungrey, everyone left without feeding me. thank god barbara showed up and found my juice. there is no rhyme or reason to this place.save your money and go to a real weight loss spa because i never saw such disaray in a business.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank travelaround66
birchcreekretreat, Owner at Jump Start New York, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Dear Reviewer, I'm glad you enjoyed our fitness program - we have worked very hard over the years to provide outstanding exercise for our clients. The gym has been recently expanded to include a full circuit training section and we are proud of our brand new floor in the yoga area. We have also added a fun new Zumba Fitness class to the schedule with great feedback from guests.

Thank you also for recognizing our excellent staff - most of our employees have been with Birchcreek for years and we feel like they are family. Their first concern is always guest service.

Our New York retreat is held at a beautiful, restored estate, surrounded by 23 acres of woods, streams, mountains and nature.Winter is absolutely beautiful here - and cold! Your visit was in January. We go out of our way to ensure guests comfort, including individual thermostat controlled heat in each room so you can regulate your heat and be comfortable. All I can say is that although juice fasters traditionally tend to feel cold for a time during detox (regardless of the weather or room temp), I would hope that guests would feel comfortable enough to bring any discomforts to my attention during their stay.
-Regarding the lecture series - unfortunately we have had to request that the audience reserve questions until the end of a session so that all relevant topics can be covered on schedule.However, Ron is well known for spending hours in conversation with our guests who have specific weight loss or health issues not covered in a seminar.
-Regarding juices - Our delicious, fresh juices are served throughout the day in glassware for all meals. There are a few exceptions. 1. when trainers carry guests juices out on a hike 2. when guests will be coming into the dining room to be served on different schedules (for example, after power walking or hiking) or 3. if a guest will be late for a meal. Those particular juices are then stored in sterile, safe, capped (to keep fresh), highest food grade plastic bottles, which are approved by the government to 700 degrees farenheit.
Also, we frequently serve different juices to different guests because of allergies, health issues and guest preferences (for example, some of our clients request all green or all veggie juices which we are happy to provide). Perhaps there were no special requests during your stay.
- And, finally, regarding a housekeeper who did not know where your juice was when you overslept and missed a meal - I apologize that she was unable to help you (she actually has nothing to do with meals), but at no time is a housekeeper the only staff member on premises. Although someone might have temporarily not been at the reception desk in the lobby, we are always available at the phone number provided to all guests.
At Birchcreek Retreat, maintaining our historic facility and continually upgrading for the best experience are an on-going process which we take seriously. We respond quickly to any guests problems and recommendations. And will continue to do so. The amazing number of returning guests and guest referrals show us that we are successful.

Reviewed January 2, 2011

This was an incredible life changing time for me. The juice fasting combined with bootcamp helped me to reach my weight loss goals and left Birchcreek feeling renewed and transformed. I was comfortable in my room, slept well, had all my needs met, enjoyed the grounds, location, and neighboring towns and the staff was wonderful. I can't say enough about how terrific this Retreat experience was for me! I would recommend this to anyone! Love it!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I was looking for a place where I could get healthier and lose weight. For me this included detoxing, juicing, excercising, getting a massage, relaxing and unwinding. Well, mission accomplished at Birchcreek Retreat! My room was large, clean, with a comfortable king-size bed, soft fluffy towels a nice line of Spa Therapy Body products that were replenished daily when the rooms were cleaned.
I did the 7 Day Birchcreek Jumpstart Juice Fast Program with no hunger pangs whatsoever. The juices are loaded with nutrition and the schedule keeps you from being hungry. There's also an assortment of herbal teas available 24 hours a day. The other guests were friendly, inspiring and motivating. We went on guided walks every morning, enjoying the great outdoors, nestled in the Catskill Mountains that are abolutely gorgeous in the Fall, bursting with colors. The excercise classes include stretch, yoga, pilates, cardio and power breathing. The instructors customized excercises to accomodate different levels of fitness/ability and everyone received individual attention. The nutritional seminars are very informative. The body treatments are excellent! Barbara, the Jack-of-All-Trades-Therapist-Extraordinaire, adds another level of variety and competence to the program with her body treatments! Another nice thing about the retreat that I'd like to mention is that there are no "hidden" costs, The price quoted is what you pay - no additional taxes or "mandatory" gratuities added, like some other places charge. To boot, I was able to take advantage of their 50% off Fall Discount. I plan on returning to Birchcreek once the renovations to the gym and treatment rooms are completed. A sauna, steam room, and wet treatment room will be a welcome addition.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I went with a friend to Birchcreek to jumpstart my way to a healthier lifestyle and to begin to lose a little weight. The staff were very welcoming and I felt right at home. We learned a lot, exercised a lot and relaxed.... all while losing weight. The spa services were fantastic! I am back less than a week and have continued the juicing program. I intend to apply the principles I learned at Birchcreek from this time forward.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Excellent place to do a juice fast, lose weight, and gain a new perspective. You enter a home when you go to Birchcreek and they take care of you like a family member. Always encouraging, but plenty of space and privacy.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo