“Perfect Piermont Weekend”

GreenLeadersGold level
Williamsburg, VA
“Perfect Piermont Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend vacation in the "Firehouse Suite." The suite is in a renovated old brick firehouse building, truly unique in design and setting. It is very private and within easy walking distance from the restaurants and shopping in the charming Village of Piermont. We checked in with our very welcoming host Carolla at the Riverview B&B, then we followed her in our car across the village to the Firehouse. Everything in the suite is just perfect for a quiet, restful weekend for two people: gas fire in the den, comfortable furniture, wonderful bed and linens, nice toiletries. The place is spotlessly clean.
And the back of the building is perched literally over the tidal creek, so the view and sound of the water provide a relaxing backdrop. Other reviewers complained about the traffic noise, but since we had the windows closed we really didn't notice. It was remarkably quiet at night. There was another guest in the separately rented downstairs part of the building but we only heard the door slam a couple of times, not a problem for us.

Other reviewers complained that they had to fix their own breakfast (Carolla provided plenty of eggs, milk, butter, jams, English muffins, coffee tea and juice). However we loved this because we enjoy cooking, and prefer privacy which in a normal B&B setting, you have to forego to join the other guests downstairs at breakfast time. The Firehouse has a great kitchen with small dining area for two. The kitchen had everything we needed (blender, coffeemaker, small countertop oven, toaster, great selection of new pots and pans, gas stovetop). We loved the Suite so much we shopped for food at the Market in Piermont and cooked all three miles "at home" on Saturday.

Piermont is very small and you can leisurely take in the entire place on foot over one Saturday. So many beautiful old houses! Take your walking shoes and your bike and explore the nearby trails. Step outside the Firehouse and you can walk to both Tallmann Mountain State Park and the Joseph Clarke rail trail within a few minutes. The pier is an easy stroll and you can enjoy an incredible view of the Hudson River and the Tappan Zee Bridge from one of the log benches, and watch the fishermen along the shore. We loved Piermont and the Firehouse and are looking forward to another visit in the spring.

Room Tip: Things to consider: The stairs to the suite are very steep and the toilet and a small sink are in a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Back Home

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

We have just returned from a trip to Piermont and we stayed at the RiverView. This is a lovely, old house with great charm. Our bedroom, with a king bed, was on the second floor. Although the bathroom was in the hall there was nobody else sharing it. It was very hot while we were there but there is a room air conditioner and we were quite comfortable. Breakfast was served to us each morning either in the atrium (a wonderful glass addition to the house), or the front porch. We had a great view of the Hudson. The house is nestled in canopies of trees and is very shady - even in hot weather. The grounds are exceptionally beautiful with a large swimming pool - everything is well kept. We had choices for breakfast - eggs, English muffins, fruit, coffee or tea, french toast - or you could bring in your own and store it in the freezer or refrigerator (I brought yogurt).
There were cats and dogs and I am not an animal lover but these pets were extremely well behaved and didn't bother me at all. There is a steep flight of stairs to the second floor in case that would be a problem for someone. Also, the road up to the house can be difficult to navigate going down unless you can turn your car around at the top. It is quite steep.
We had a very comfortable time in a lovely setting and would recommend it highly. Perhaps we will try the Firehouse next time. Both properties are owned and managed by the same person.

Room Tip: They are both nice - our room has a king bed and the other is a queen. The other is a room with a k...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank judieb5
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 1 night at the Firehouse in Piermont. I could have easily stayed a week. We had a great time and it was a very relaxing stay.

After checking in at the main house where Corolla seems to have several projects going on –the view from her office of the bridge is AMAZING. She escorted us to the firs house and took the time to explain how everything worked and was located. She was really very lovely.

We had our own spot to park, off the street, and she (Corolla) has made the garden look very nice.

We were located in the upstairs on the 2nd floor. The living room windows open out to a creek that was flowing – and in the morning I was able to watch the ducks play. It was private and it was like a small apartment. Really decorated beautifully like something out of a magazine - -but comfortable not stuffy. And I loved the Restoration Hardware sheets and towels!

The breakfast was included in the price corolla had the fridge stocked with English muffins, jam, butter, farm fresh eggs, fresh OJ (Which my husband loved), milk and cream, and I was able to make a pot of coffee ( a selection of teas were also available) in the morning and cooked up a great breakfast of scrambled eggs. The only thing I would have like to have seen added was some cheese.

The Firehouse was really very charming, convenient to restaurants and shops in Piermont, and overall we had a great stay.

The a/c unit was in the living room in one of the windows, but was just ok for cooling.

There were fans in every room and the toilet was VERY small but the Very comfortable queen size bed made up for it.

Though I would have perfered to have been closer to Nyack, Corolla was lovely and accomodated us last minute and we were thrilled we dicided on this location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Blueeyes_two1
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2010

We stayed at the Firehouse in Piermont and with three adults we were able to rent out both rooms on the first floor. We basically had our own little apartment and what a place it was. Smartly decorated, super comfortable and complete with top-notch amenities.

We had a few awkward situations with the service but all in all the management was very attentive and definitely took pride in their place.

The breakfast at this location was pretty limited though. The fridge was stocked with english muffins and eggs. I would have preferred to have some more variety but considering that we had our own apartment we could bring food in as needed.

My favorite feature was a whirlpool tub in the bathroom which I hadn't realized was there when I booked it. I used it every day of my stay!

You have to check in at the main house and that place seemed really lovely too. Maybe we'll stay there on our next trip.

Highly recommend The RiverView B & B. It was even better than it looked on the website!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank djrhoffman
Rolla, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

The Firehouse is very charming, convenient to restaurants and shops in Piermont, and overall quite nice. There are only 2 drawbacks. The house is across the street from a Public Works building, where the workers begin leaving early in the morning with heavy trucks, and the Firehouse is also on the city bus route, convenient, but noisy. We recommend turning on the a/c unit fan at night, the background noise somewhat alleviates the early morning street traffic noise. Another minor, but, notable caveat. The main house offers a hot breakfast for the same price as the Firehouse, with its refrigerated fix-it-yourself eggs and english muffins. Those details aside, the Firehouse is very comfortable, quaint and pleasant. Carolla is a friendly & helpful host.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank mjvf57
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

Thanks to Carolla for a wonderful stay. Everything was as advertised and nothing was amiss. Both properties are beautiful. Easy day trips to Manhattan. Piermont is very quaint as is Nyack which are both nearby. Lots of great places to dine. Beds are very comfortable...amazing sheets! Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Megyver
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2008

Caveat: we actually never got to stay here, because the owner blew the reservations so badly. In January 2006 we reserved both of their properties (the main house and the "firehouse") for ourselves, our parents, siblings, and two close-friend couples to stay at during our wedding in nearby Saddle River in June (it was a small wedding, 45 people total--the rest of the guests stayed elsewhere). I also told "Carolla" (the owner) during my in-person tour of the place in January that we would like to have a get together of the famililes plus a few (4-6) close friends at the firehouse after the reception. She said definitively that it would be no problem. This was the main reason we chose the property (it is also nice looking and in a nice location). She then told us to have each family and friend staying there to call her individually with reservations.

My and my wife's parents did so. Several times. With absolutely no response one way or the other. They called. They emailed. They left credit card numbers. All with no response. I then called her a couple of times to ask what the problem was. (This is all we needed during our wedding prep :-( ) No response for me either. Finally she called back. Meanwhile my parents had gotten a confirmation back for SOMEONE ELSE, whom we'd never heard of. I called again, saying, "you do remember we've reserved the whole property, right?" She had apparently started to rent one of the rooms to someone not affiliated with us, apparently without even asking whether they were members of our party, then sent their confirmation to my parents! My wife's parents and one of her friends had similarly frustrating experiences. Then, two weeks before the wedding, she suddenly decided she didn't want to have us have the gathering at the Firehouse (10-15 people, mostly septagenarians and the rest classical musicians) as she was worried about "insurance". The main reason we booked the property, and the most important thing that I discussed with her in person in January when I visited, was to have a beautiful place for out-of-towners to relax after the main festivities. Needless to say, we were livid. We were also without an evening activity for the wedding-goers 2 weeks before the date. Luckily one of the Hilton Pearl River bridal suites had had a cancellation, thank God, so the day was saved. But she nearly ruined our wedding.

To be fair, the property is good looking, especially the Firehouse which was beautifully redone and overhangs an old mill canal. However, the time I visited the main house there was a quite unpleasant smell by the main bedroom. Carolla later said (when I got the courage to mention it) that it was work they were doing in the basement, but I suspect it is the several dogs and cats she has in the place--perhaps the litter box was too close.

Unless you're extremely flexible, don't get your hopes up, and have a backup reservation somewhere else, stay away.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
7 Thank Incisive_Idiot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piermont
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Holiday Inn Orangeburg - Rockland / Bergen
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Residence Inn Orangeburg Rockland/Bergen
HNA Palisades Premier Conference Center
The Time Nyack
The Time Nyack
#1 of 3 in Nyack

Been to Riverview Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!