“many delicious choices”

Freelance Cafe and Wine Bar
Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Piermont
Cuisines: International, American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
hillsdale, nj, usa
“many delicious choices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

staff is very friendly. at the meal's end, wonderful pecan pie triangles. lotsa butter. their coconut shrimp are always excellent. on a cold night, the onion soup rules. they share the kitchen with xavier's. chef kelly says it is his wife's favorite of all the restaurants. we have to agree.

Visited February 2013

New York, New York
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

For my money there is no better restaurant to enjoy in the lower Hudson Valley than Freelance Cafe, except maybe for Peter Kelly's other area restaurants. Having said that, Freelance remains our very special place. The combination of food, atmosphere, art, music, and staff can't be beat. The menu is constantly evolving and is always very creative. There's a great selection of both large and small plates and the beer list is impressive — particularly if you like craft beer selections. For years the restaurant didn't take credit cards but now they do, making it perfect. It can be difficult to get a table because the restaurant is on the small side but the wait is well worth it.

• Visited January 2013
Englewood, New Jersey
“Simply the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is by far our favorite restaurant ever. We have been eating here for over 20 years. The food is always outstanding. The dishes are very creative and tasty. We have never experienced even a mediocre meal. The staff are always friendly and helpful. This is the only place we have ever waited on line for a meal. They do not take reservations. Our suggestions would be to change the menus more often. We eat here at least 3 times a month and need a little more variety. Also, get new chairs! Some are ripped and they are extremely heavy!

• Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
“WORTH THE WAIT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I live near this restaurant... it is a NYC quality restaurant, about 35 miles NW of the city... and a quaint little hamlet known as Piermont. If you like "foodie elite" quality ... this is it! No reservations... so be prepared to wait... but WORTH THE WAIT!

Visited October 2012
nyack, ny
“Not as good as it used to be...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had dinner last night, and were dissappointed and surprised to see such a decline in quality.

We have had so many really delicious meals in the past, but last night was pretty bad.

We started off with 2 glasses of wine, I had a cab, and my husband had a French wine, ( forgot.) The wine was good, not great, and our glasses seemed more like small, white wine glasses, while we noticed people at the bar drinking from larger "red wine" glasses.

Next I had a salad that was suppose to have goat cheese, and pears. I asked the waiter if there was lettuce and vegetables, too, and he assured me there were. Unfortunately, the tiny salad had about 4 small leaves of lettuce, and most all of the rest was cheese, no pears to be found. I couldn't even eat the lettuce, as the amount of pepper it was prepared with, made me cough incessantly.

My main course was wasabi tuna, which tasted "fishy." It also came with broccolini, drowned in butter, ( yuch!,) unpleasant tasting seaweed, and finally, potatoes, that were actually good. I took a few bites of the tuna, ate the potatoes, and then asked the waiter to wrap up the rest, which was most of it. He never even questioned why I hardly touched the food.

My husband ordered scallops, which he said were lacking in flavor, and mediocre at best.

We did notice there was hardly anybody there, which we attributed to the nast weather, but maybe not....

• Visited October 2012