“It's no mystery...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mystery Spot Antiques

Mystery Spot Antiques
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Phoenicia
More attraction details
Owner description: It's our FIFTEENTH SEASON! Open Sat-Sun-Mon. Described by Country Living magazine as "a love-at-first-sight wonderland of oddball collectibles, vintage clothing, and objects d'art," Mystery Spot Antiques is part store, part museum, part odditorium, and a whole lot of fun! Named for Homer & Langley, the infamous Collyer Brothers, this obsessive and artistic "Shrine to Clutter" is packed to the rafters with unusual antiques, tons of estate-fresh vintage clothing, 1,000's of used records & killer vinyl, found objects, mid-century lighting, out of print art books, and downright oddities such as the Creepy Doll Exhibit, Petey the Petrified Piranha, and Desdemona, the Devil Girl of Phoenicia. Heck, even when are doors aren't open, customers are welcome to dig through our dollar record bins and our famous yard sale in a box on the front porch, with an honor money drop at your service.
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It's no mystery...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

I can say, without exaggeration, that this place is like Mecca for thrift store hounds. So much to see, so much to covet...

Proprietor Laura Levine has packed her store with the cool, the quirky, the fun and the poignant. I bought as much as I could carry back to Texas in my suitcase - and regretted having to leave other things behind. My friends and I spent a good hour sifting through various rooms of clothing, books, artwork and home decor, wanting just about everything we saw. It was heavenly.

Psst: Laura is also a venerated rock photo-documentarian and sells her photos and artwork from the store. Ask to see it!

2 Thank LassAustin

Forest Hiils, New York
“A Real Gem in the Catskills”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

I love this place, and visit several times a year to see what Laura has brought in. The vintage clothing is fab, and some of it is brand new (!). I've also picked up a few fun housewares and doodads along the way. Don't miss it if you're in the nabe.

Rosendale, Ny
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oh, Sweet Mystery of Life At Last I've Found You!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2009

The Mystery Spot is one of those amazing and rare creatures that you find once in a lifetime. I say "creatures" because it is part "Ooowww, Ahhhhh" and part "what the hell?". This wonderful shop is situated in Phoenicia, NY and is a complete feast for the senses. (The funny thing about Phoenicia is that it's only a few miles past Woodstock, but most folks stop in Woodstock and don't venture further, but trust me, it's absolutely worth the few extra miles.) You will find more wonder in the Mystery Spot than in all of Woodstock combined. I personally LOVE the Mystery Spot, it is my all time favorite odds and ends shop (lots of odds and some really good ends), equal parts antiques, oddities, and museum. Everything I have ever bought at this place is a conversation piece in my house, from the bizarre Bavaria portrait painting to the mid-century marvels. I even feel actual regret about things that I've seen there that I didn't buy only to return later and find someone else had snatched up my treasure. All in all, if you love stuff, if you love vintage, if you love awesome deals then the Mystery Spot will be your favorite new spot. (Seriously, I dig the "spot" so much that my band has written a bunch of songs about it and the treasures that I've found there.) Between the vintage vinyl, the fur coats, the lamps, the artwork, the film cameras, the EVERYTHING-this place is just Rock-n-Roll, with a touch of Victorian. Just go already! Beyond worth it!

1 Thank Mellowgold
A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't Miss The Mystery Spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2005

Packed to the rafters with funky antiques, vintage clothing, rusticalia, mid-century modern lighting, vintage vinyl and out-of-print art books, this tucked-away gem on Phoenicia's boardwalk is a must-see while visiting the Catskills. It's only open weekends and holidays, so plan accordingly! Reasonable prices and lots of eye candy, including Desdemona, The Devil Girl of Phoenicia, and Peter the Petrified Piranha. Fun website at www.mysteryspotantiques.com.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member