“Quirky spot with rude owner”

Mystery Spot Antiques
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Phoenicia
More attraction details
Owner description: Our 16th Season! 2017 Fall hours: open Saturdays 11 - 5, Sundays 11 - 4 + holidays through Thanksgiving weekend. (Then we'll take a winter break with a few pop-ups). Described by Country Living magazine as "a love-at-first-sight wonderland of oddball collectibles, vintage clothing, and objects d'art," Mystery Spot Antiques is part store, part museum, part odditorium, and a whole lot of fun! Named for Homer & Langley, the infamous Collyer Brothers, this obsessive and artistic "Shrine to Clutter" is packed to the rafters with unusual antiques, tons of estate-fresh vintage clothing, 1,000's of used records & killer vinyl, found objects, mid-century, OOP art books, and downright oddities such as the Creepy Doll Exhibit, Petey the Petrified Piranha, and Desdemona, the Devil Girl of Phoenicia. Heck, even when are doors aren't open, customers are welcome to dig through our dollar record bins and our famous YARD SALE IN A BOX on the front porch, with an honor money drop at your service.
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stop into Mystery Spot every so often when we're in the area. I'm not an antiques person and I happen to find 60-yr old clothes and shoes to be kind of gross. But I like to sort through the books and the old family photos on display. My mom gets a kick out of the array of clothes and "garage sale in a box" items on the front deck and the slot where you put money if you're purchasing something when the store is closed. So with all this in mind, I was surprised this past weekend when I visited the store and found the owner to be so unfriendly (downright rude, in fact). First, I asked if there was a rest room available. I didn't really expect there to be, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. The answer was "ummm.... Not really" and then she opened the door to the bathroom right in front of me! Next, my father - a retired, professional photographer - was admiring one of the cameras that was on display. She snatched it out of his hands and said, "I need to assist customers with that. Can't you see the tag?" And proceeded to point out the microscopic, dust covered tag that said to ask for help - a tag he was apparently supposed to read from the shelf on which the camera sat. After that we just called it quits and headed into some of the other shops, which is sad because I'm sure my parents would have picked up a few items. Maybe she was just having a bad day or maybe she just doesn't care about how customers perceive her, but the owner definitely needs help in the manners department.

hokeypix, Owner at Mystery Spot Antiques, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry we do not have a public restroom. The room you mentioned is in fact our dressing room and it is reserved for our customers to try on vintage outfits they are considering purchasing. We take great pride in our eleven years of business, repeat customers, and consistently positive reviews.

Reviewed September 19, 2010

And I've been to a lot!
I make at least two trips a year, and have a special budget, and a special place in my heart, just for the Mystery Spot.
After tubing down the Esophus river, I spend the rest of the day digging through classic vinyl, vintage suits, old books and magazines, antique kitchen stuff, lamps, and just plain wierdness. There's this masonic cape i've been meaning to buy for years....

Anways, it's not far from woodstock, so if you're staying there, a good plan is to get up early on a saturday or sunday, and cruise garage sales in the hills, then get lunch in Phoenicia, and spend the afternoon and the rest of your $$ at the Mystery Spot. You won't be disappointed!

1  Thank donundeen
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I can say, without exaggeration, that this place is like Mecca for thrift store hounds. So much to see, so much to covet...

Proprietor Laura Levine has packed her store with the cool, the quirky, the fun and the poignant. I bought as much as I could carry back to Texas in my suitcase - and regretted having to leave other things behind. My friends and I spent a good hour sifting through various rooms of clothing, books, artwork and home decor, wanting just about everything we saw. It was heavenly.

Psst: Laura is also a venerated rock photo-documentarian and sells her photos and artwork from the store. Ask to see it!

2  Thank LassAustin
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I love this place, and visit several times a year to see what Laura has brought in. The vintage clothing is fab, and some of it is brand new (!). I've also picked up a few fun housewares and doodads along the way. Don't miss it if you're in the nabe.

Reviewed December 26, 2009

The Mystery Spot is one of those amazing and rare creatures that you find once in a lifetime. I say "creatures" because it is part "Ooowww, Ahhhhh" and part "what the hell?". This wonderful shop is situated in Phoenicia, NY and is a complete feast for the senses. (The funny thing about Phoenicia is that it's only a few miles past Woodstock, but most folks stop in Woodstock and don't venture further, but trust me, it's absolutely worth the few extra miles.) You will find more wonder in the Mystery Spot than in all of Woodstock combined. I personally LOVE the Mystery Spot, it is my all time favorite odds and ends shop (lots of odds and some really good ends), equal parts antiques, oddities, and museum. Everything I have ever bought at this place is a conversation piece in my house, from the bizarre Bavaria portrait painting to the mid-century marvels. I even feel actual regret about things that I've seen there that I didn't buy only to return later and find someone else had snatched up my treasure. All in all, if you love stuff, if you love vintage, if you love awesome deals then the Mystery Spot will be your favorite new spot. (Seriously, I dig the "spot" so much that my band has written a bunch of songs about it and the treasures that I've found there.) Between the vintage vinyl, the fur coats, the lamps, the artwork, the film cameras, the EVERYTHING-this place is just Rock-n-Roll, with a touch of Victorian. Just go already! Beyond worth it!

1  Thank Mellowgold