“Crazy Ride”

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Crazy Ride”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We waited for the water release date to partake in the tubing. It was well worth the wait! The creek was about up to our hips and moving fast. The water was brown and very warm. The girl who signed us up mentioned it was a Class II rapid, we were excited. We did not take the helmets but after our first minute going down the creek we immediately knew why we should have. It is so easy to fall backwards on to rocks or just crash into rocks after falling out of the tube. Husband and I fell out many times, as the girl at the desk said we would. It was very difficult to stand in the creek and to get back into the tube once fallen out. There were waterfalls to pass over, and it was difficult to keep control of the tube. There were whoopdies, and many things were very enjoyable. Only 3 or 4 times did either one of us feel verry in danger, which IS alot, but makes it all the more exciting.
Town Tinker states they are not responsible for what happens on the creek, they are just supplying the equipment for anyone who wants to tube. Usually the creek isn't very high or fast which is why we waited for the water release. We had a really great time and look forward to doing it again next year, but with helmets. Bring your own water shoes if you can, not flip flops.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank sonicachic311

Brooklyn, NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Not worth drowning or head injury”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If I had read these reviews before getting into the river last weekend would i have believed tubing could be so dangerous and terrifying? I am glad that I did it for one reason only -- so I can know enough to forbid my children from doing it when they are grown!

About a quarter mile into the two mile course, my tube went over a rock ledge and I spun 360 degrees head over heels in the water, my tube went flying, and it took a huge effort fighting against the current to get to the side of the river. I couldn't have retrieved my tube or flipped it back upright without help from the three people who came to my aid. Thank god I was wearing the helmet, which, bizarrely, is optional! My legs are banged and bruised and scraped, which lines up with what they told me at the rental: "you will get bumps and bruises." I guess my fear is about what might have been if i hadn't rented the helmet. This just seems pointlessly risky. Not worth breaking your neck for.

Visited August 2013
10 Thank KrisPBrooklyn
nyc
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 200 helpful votes
“Water Level is Key -- Can be very dangerous if flood gates open”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The variation of reviews on this site are the result of very different experiences. I have tubed the here multiple times and my adventures STOPPED the after a terrible experience being thrown from my tube, pulled down the wrong arm of the river, and nearly drowned despite being a lifelong and very strong swimmer. The difference the last time was that the overflow gates for the reservoir along the river were wide open. We were floating down a lazy little low water river, then BOOM we float past 15 foot tall overflow gates completely open. The entire experience changed. Where normally you had low water in areas and even had to walk your tube over them, instead there were mini rapids. Tubing here is great IF IF IF the overflow gates are closed. Its a very different and VERY dangerous experience when they are open. The tube rental store does NOT tell you about this and they absolutely should. This is the reason for the very divergent reviews on the site.

Visited June 2013
11 Thank decca_mac
Putnam Valley, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Dangerous!”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I came thisclose to drowning today! On top of that my legs are bruised and ripped up from getting thrashed about over rocks. Had no idea how dangerous the conditions were. I took my son and his 3 friends for the outing. Thank God it was me and not them that experienced what I did. Luckily good samaritans rescued me.
THANK YOU to Wes and his wife Linda!!!!! Another friend of theirs also went to the boys to let them know I was okay. What if they weren't there to help me?

Visited September 2012
8 Thank GoPixi
Shokan, New York
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Tube the esopus at your leisure”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

although the water of the Esopus was very low as long as you could manuever the tube you could get down the water with little problems. very safe they supply helmets and life jackets' you supply the sun screen. not good for people that are young I would have to limit this adventure to ten or older (as long as they know how to swim well)

Visited August 2012