“Water Level is Key -- Can be very dangerous if flood gates open” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Town Tinker Tube Rental

The Town Tinker Tube Rental
Ranked #5 of 9 things to do in Phoenicia
nyc
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 199 helpful votes
“Water Level is Key -- Can be very dangerous if flood gates open”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The variation of reviews on this site are the result of very different experiences. I have tubed the here multiple times and my adventures STOPPED the after a terrible experience being thrown from my tube, pulled down the wrong arm of the river, and nearly drowned despite being a lifelong and very strong swimmer. The difference the last time was that the overflow gates for the reservoir along the river were wide open. We were floating down a lazy little low water river, then BOOM we float past 15 foot tall overflow gates completely open. The entire experience changed. Where normally you had low water in areas and even had to walk your tube over them, instead there were mini rapids. Tubing here is great IF IF IF the overflow gates are closed. Its a very different and VERY dangerous experience when they are open. The tube rental store does NOT tell you about this and they absolutely should. This is the reason for the very divergent reviews on the site.

Visited June 2013
11 Thank decca_mac

Putnam Valley, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Dangerous!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I came thisclose to drowning today! On top of that my legs are bruised and ripped up from getting thrashed about over rocks. Had no idea how dangerous the conditions were. I took my son and his 3 friends for the outing. Thank God it was me and not them that experienced what I did. Luckily good samaritans rescued me.
THANK YOU to Wes and his wife Linda!!!!! Another friend of theirs also went to the boys to let them know I was okay. What if they weren't there to help me?

Visited September 2012
8 Thank GoPixi
Shokan, New York
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Tube the esopus at your leisure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

although the water of the Esopus was very low as long as you could manuever the tube you could get down the water with little problems. very safe they supply helmets and life jackets' you supply the sun screen. not good for people that are young I would have to limit this adventure to ten or older (as long as they know how to swim well)

Visited August 2012
1 Thank sue k
Port Washington, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Failed to Clearly Notify Patrons of No Water Release”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

My family and had a very POOR experience at Town Tinker Tube Rental. When I arrived at Town Tinker on Saturday July 14, 2012, after a 3-hour drive, I was told at the check-in window that, contrary to Town Tinker's CURRENT website posting, today was NOT a water release date and that the flow was average (Class 2) rather than whitewater (Class 4). When I asked why their website did not advise customers of this change, the Owner butted into the conversation I was having with the employee and told me, "This was posted on the Alerts. You have to read the alerts." When I again pointed out that their website was incorrect, the Owner got VERY DEFENSIVE and RUDE and started yammering away about how I should have checked the "Alerts." Hey, I 'get' that this is seasonal business and that the tube rental guys have no control over when water is released from the reservoir, but Town Tinker absolutely misled its customers. Yes, indeed, their very own website did say, under the "Water Release Dates" tab----- where anyone would obviously look first-----, that it was a water release day. On a DIFFERENT page, there is a hyperlink called "Updates and Alerts." When one clicks on this, it takes one to Facebook. Well, I dont use Facebook! Hundreds of millions of other people in the USA don't either, so I don't think it's unusual that when I find myself on Facebook, I click Back. I will not use this business again because the Owner is so desparate for business, he misled his customers.

Visited July 2012
5 Thank Dixie_Willet
Salisbury, Maryland
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Hate to be a downer, but this is NOT a safe course”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I remember tubing the Esopus when I was about 14 (around 25 years ago), and I don't remember us being in any danger, I'm guessing we were either in another section or the water was running a lot higher... my fiancee and I went for the gusto the other day, and still have the bruises to prove it. There are a TON of rocks that you cannot avoid, I'm almost surprised neither one of us snapped a leg. There is still a lot of debris up and down the creek that could use cleaning out as well. I hate to be a downer because I love fun on the water, but you better be prepared for a bumpy ride on this course, I'd almost advise going with a helmet.

Visited July 2012