“Wonderful Surprise”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: 1-315-548-5200
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here on 4/25/13. It was our first visit to the Phelps Hotel, and we did not know what to expect. We have never been welcomed so warmly at any restaurant, big or small. The genuine friendliness of the staff and owner made us feel more like friends than customers. Our waitress, Kim, was friendly, and helpful by suggesting possible choices for our dinners. We both had prime rib, which was cooked as requested, juicy and simply wonderful. The sides and potatoes were well prepared and presented. On a scale of 1 - 10...our meal and dining experience rated a 10!

There are newer reviews for Historic Phelps Hotel Restaurant

Reviewed April 10, 2013

On a previous visit my wife asked to have her dinner boxed but the staff threw her lobster tail out. When we told the hostess her response was "things happen". We gave them another chance a year later and found that the server was slow, brought us chardonnay instead of the cabernet sauvignon ( didn't seem to know the difference) that we ordered with our steak, finally returned with the wine AFTER dinner. She refused to let us box our own meal and though warned not to do so she again threw out the entrée. The meal was pricey and just OK. This used to be where we went for special occasions but in recent years even the food quality is all over the board. We have found better choices in the area.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

After finishing our shopping at Waterloo Premium Outlets, we didn't feel like eating anything in the food court, and was hoping to find some restaurant on the way back to Farmington where we were staying during our ski trip last weekend. While driving through village of Phelps, we noticed a sign for a restaurant, and stopped to figure out if is open. As soon as we opened the door, it felt we stepped back in history, and we started admiring the building and the decor in the restaurant, as it was so appropriate for this place. Even the music on the radio was so appropriate, with some oldies from 50's and possibly even 40's. It was easy to imagine that the building and the establishment has seen some other times, when this area must have been living some other, possibly more glorious days, as the picture from the early 1900s is showing at the entrance. As for food, we ended up choosing a special for the day, scalloped potatoes and ham, beef soup and salad bar, and we loved it all. We finished our meal with chocolate raspberry truffle cake, which came beautifully decorated and rich and delicious. We really enjoyed our meal in this gorgeous historical ambient with the relaxing old music in the background, it was the best part of our trip and a memory we'll cherish forever. Unfortunately, we didn't have our camera with us to make some pictures (who takes a camera to shopping, anyway, lol), but I hope we'll be passing through this area again, at some point in future, as I'd love to be able to step back in time again, and enjoy all that this place has to offer.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My fiance and I decided to get dinner on a Friday night. It was 8:30pm by the time he was out of work and we got our 3 month old ready to go with us. When we arrived, the host (elderly lady) ignored us for 5-10 minutes while one of the servers cashed out. Finally she looked and my fiance and I and said "can I help you". "We said yes we would like a table to eat" confused by her questions (isn't it evident we were there for dinner?) She hesitated and rolled her eyes. Confused by her rudeness we said "nevermined", since for some reason it was a big deal. I asked her, "I thought you are open until 10pm?" She said "we are, I told you, you can get a table". I was so furious we decided to leave (Why would we stay now, we felt extrememly unwelcome). It was the worst costumer service I have ever experienced. Needless to say we will NEVER return. I was a server for 5+ years and am very familar with the resturant buisness, I couldn't imagine ever treating a customer as she did.

2  Thank A B
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Phelps Hotel has been my favorite restaurant in the Finger Lakes area for many years. The food is excellent, with very generous servings, a nice wine list and the staff is always friendly and courteous. You are never rushed through the meal, yet the wait staff is attentive to your needs. Try one of their holiday buffets if you'd like a wide variety of foods, but make your reservations well in advance - they only do a set number of sittings. If it's your birthday, you'll receive a momento of the occasion to take home with you.