“Can't believe we didn't know about the Windmill” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Shopping in Penn Yan
Rochester, New York
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Can't believe we didn't know about the Windmill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

I saw their ad on TV a few weeks ago and thought this might be a fun place to take my daughters for the day. It was a cool fall day, and not too busy, but vendors tell me it gets a lot more crowded in the warmer weather. The produce and baked goods quality and prices are fantastic; there are many excellent lunch choices -- ribs, bbq chicken and pulled pork are the best options. We enjoyed pulled pork sandwiches for lunch and one daughter had a "spud boat" (potato, pulled pork, cheese sauce) that looked pretty good. The fried dough offered by a vendor in the center area, fresh roasted peanuts close-by and the homemade perogies at a stand near the produce building smelled great. There are many craft vendors selling primitives, not my taste and apparently not for many others as these shops seemed empty. I bought a small cherry, handmade table, excellent quality for a very reasonable price and my eldest daughter was thrilled with the produce she purchased. There's a good quality butcher (no antibiotics or hormones) I'll be ordering from this week. I wasn't too thrilled with all the dogs that visitors bring, but my daughters were happy to see and pet some of them. The dogs were well behaved and their owners were responsible and friendly. It would be challenging to navigate the area in a wheel chair, but I did see one woman using a scooter with no problem. Everyone working is friendly, chatty and helpful.

A few miles north, there's Oak Hill Bulk Foods, a bulk & home made food store that is well worth a visit too. We found some interesting snack foods, spices, baking ingredients and other products at excellent prices.

pittsford, new york
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful Farm and Craft Market”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

Loved the Windmill and the farm market. The food is great and lots of goodies to buy

Syracuse, New York
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Good Amish Baked Goods, Some quality crafters”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I came here for the first time with friends on Saturday after hearing about this place for years. I had a great time, it was a girls day out so why wouldn't I? I bought some very good Amish baked goods. There were some quality wood workers and hand crafts, but mainly it was the same old stuff you see everywhere and quite a bit of tacky. If you like primitives, this would be a good stop for you. They seemed good quality, but I am not into decorating in that style. I did get a deal on a used James Beard Cookbook ($2.00) from the used book seller. This place allows dogs, I am a dog lover, but I left mine home. It's too crowded and I almost tripped over someones little Boston Terrier that was getting under everyone's feet in a vendor booth filled with pottery of all things. If I had fallen into a display who would have been responsible, me or the dog? Not to mention there are a number of food vendors and I observed dogs begging from strangers. The owners thought it was cute, really???

1 Thank jtreby
Naugatuck, Connecticut
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“THE place to visit when in the Finger Lakes/ Watkins Glen Region”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

We visit from CT several times a year and never miss out on this awesome place! Some great food, friendly people and affordable prices!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank honeydoll272
Syracuse, NY
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Just Another Overpriced Craft Fair”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

Just outside of PennYan--and an almost 3 hour drive from home--we parked free to see the buildings that comprise the Windmill Farm & Craft Fair, held Saturdays only. Free to attend, there are the usual Maple syrups, handmade furniture, pies and baked goods, outstanding Adirondack chairs (the highlight of the trip), places to eat as you walk, etc. I do like flea markets and yard sales, but this was a long drive to see the same old stuff that's, mostly, overpriced. I was shocked at the women's bathroom: though clean, the toilets don't flush, but rather, everything goes into a communal holding tank(?) My boyfriend said the men's toilets flush normally. Yes, it's cool to see the Amish, however, after all, they are just people, like us. The location seems like the middle of nowhere, ie, nothing else close by to see. If you love Crafts, by all means: go. But, my boyfriend was so happy when I said, "OK, let's go. I've seen plenty." (In <an hour) The Flea market on Park Street, in Syracuse, NY is also free and much better for "finds".

Visited September 2011