“Good value for the money but was ignored at check-in”

Best Western Plus Vineyard Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Penn Yan
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Good value for the money but was ignored at check-in”
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Long story short.......stayed here for a wedding in the Finger Lakes and overall it's a solid choice if you're looking for modern/clean accommodation without breaking the bank.

WORST CHECK-IN EXPERIENCE EVER! After spending six hours in the emergency room after someone at our BBQ fell down some stairs we arrived at the hotel at 2am extremely exhausted. As we walked in the door to the deserted lobby the young man at the front desk picked up an incoming call. We then waited (some of us falling asleep) 20 minutes while he painstakingly slowly helped someone with a very complicated reservation. Why someone is calling a hotel as 2am to make a reservation for weeks down the road is beyond me. Why the man ignored us for 20 minutes at 2am while I stood in front of him is inexcusable. After hanging up there was no apology whatsoever. He could have easily told the woman on the phone that he'd call her back in five minutes.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE.....I felt the hotel offered very good value. I paid about $144 per night for a king suite. This is a very expensive area with lots of old dumps, very expensive resorts and granny-decor B+Bs. Believe me I researched accommodation for weeks. This BW was originally sold out but luckily a room opened up a few days before our trip.

The hotel has a modern and comfortable feel. Evertying seems to be in good shape. I can't stand hotels with 70's/80's decor (ie wood paneling, shag carpet etc) so this hotel was a good find. It's in a good/easy to find location right on the main drag in Penn Yan and the Dunkin Doughnuts across the street came in handy.

One minor complaint - the lobby was stifling. It was in the high 80's/low 90's and the lobby felt like a sauna. It would not have been comfortable having breakfast there or spending any length of time in the lobby day or night. I saw air vents so I don't know if the a/c was broken or if the lobby isn't air conditioned or if they were just saving on their power bill. Ironicly the hallway on the second floor was ice cold. So, on the night we checked in (at 2am thanks to Mr. Ignore) we went from the Sahara lobby to the Arctic hall only to open the door to our room which was about 90 degrees!

FUNNY - we came back to the room after a long/hot hike at Watkins Glen with a pizza and six-pack. When we realized that the bottles were not twist-off we called the front desk to ask for a bottle opener since we didn't have one and there was none in the room. My sister comes back from the front desk with a huge set of someone's personal keys which had a small bottle opener on it. I got a kick out of that and was grateful that we could delve into our well-deserved brews.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ChrisWayland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Toronto
Reviewed May 26, 2010

My friend and I stayed here for two nights over the Canadian long weekend for our trip to the Finger Lakes. At US $125/night (+tax), I think the value can't be beat. The rooms are really clean, comfortable and spacious. I would definitely recommend staying here if you're looking for a convenient location for touring the lakes, and aren't concerned with a nice view or staying on the water.

Room:
We wanted a room with two doubles, though none were available, so we stayed in a king suite on the 3rd floor which came with a pull-out sofa (I stayed in the bed which was quite comfortable, probably more so than the pull-out!). It was a very spacious room, with an armchair, small fridge and microwave, long dresser with plenty of drawer space, a desk and a good TV. I appreciated that there were extra mirrors in the room, including a full-length. The closet wasn't really a closet, more of an open space with a rail with hangers, but it was fine.

The bathroom was quite compact, though it had sufficient counter space. Good toiletries -- Pantene shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, make-up removing towelettes, and shower cap. Hair dryer was small and attached to the wall.

The room overall certainly wasn't anything fancy. Yes, there was a polyester bedspread, but it's a Best Western after all! However, I appreciated that everything seemed relatively new, and that the room was very clean and quiet. We took advantage of the free high-speed wireless internet, and the connection was very good.

Breakfast:
This was included in the rate. It is served in the lobby in a small area with tables and chairs. The selection was decent -- better than I thought it would be. Make your own waffles (no special toppings), cereal, yogurt, apples and oranges, pre-packaged baked goods (muffins, etc.), fresh bagels for toasting. I noticed during the afternoon that they put out cookies for guests to enjoy.

Other:
Parking was free in a well-lit lot, no concerns at all with safety. There is apparently an indoor pool and gym however we didn't have a chance to visit them. If you didn't bring your laptop, there is a computer and printer in the lobby for guests to use free of charge.

Location:
We stayed in Penn Yan due to its proximity to the lakes that we wanted to visit (Seneca and Keuka), and to Watkins Glen where we hiked the gorge. It is about a 20-30 min drive south of the main highway, and about a 15 min drive to Watkins Glen. Overall, it was the perfect location for us. The hotel itself is on the intersection of two fairly busy streets, so nothing around it that's terribly interesting or scenic. We considered spending $200 to stay at the Harbour Inn and Hotel in Watkins Glen, however decided that since we would be driving around seeing the sights the whole trip, it wasn't worth the extra money.

Overall, a good stay and I wouldn't hesitate to return. I know from experience that in the Finger Lakes there are older, shabbier hotels that cost the same if not more, so this was a good all-around hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Needed an affordable hotel for a family trip to ski at Bristol Mountain. The hotel was clean, pool area appropriate size for a hotel where we saw no one else using the pool in our three days there. Great hot breakfast, excellent front desk service with spa, restaurant and winery recommendations. Only downsize was maid went home quite sick one day, but front desk provided us with towels and the maid (still seemingly pretty sick) was very sorry the next day. How they handled an unavoidable and less than perfect situation, made this hotel a complete hit.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for our anniversary. We decided to check out the Finger Lakes area & some wineries. It was wonderful! The staff was always very friendly, the rooms very clean & the bed very comfortable. This hotel made our anniversary perfect. It is close to a lot of wineries & restaurants. Will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angel4546
williamsport pa
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Very nice hotel. Numerous resturants near. Staff was pleasant and friendly. Free Breakfast was hot sandwiches, eggs, waffles, bagles, muffins, coffee.. etc.. microwave and fridge in the room.. already plannig our next visit to the wineries and boating. They have parking for boat/trailers as well. Highly recomment this location.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank furrels
Ny State
Reviewed December 20, 2009

This was my first time at a Best Western. It will not be my last. As an entertainer I travel a lot, mostly for business but on occasion I have the opportunity to have my wife along and then I try to make it as romantic as possible. This trip was to visit with an entertainer friend who was in town for a couple of shows. He lives and performs in Vegas. So in other words I did not have to work this time.

We live a little over 100 miles from Penn Yan and the weather can be a factor so I did not book the room till the day of.. I had called and ask about the suites but felt that for the amount of time we had it wouldn't be worth the extra money. I was wrong..

Once there, Jaci, checked us in and went way out of her way to make us comfortable, I up graded to the suite with a fireplace, I joined the rewards program, She helped with directions to the show and other places I needed to go.

After the show I brought a pizza from near by Pizza Hut back to the room, we had the fireplace on, watched some TV, drank some wine and had a good night in a quiet, warm, very comfortable room.

Next morning we had breakfast, waffles, coffee, fruit from the lobby, again in the room in front of the fireplace. It was a perfect short get away. However I forgot my swim suit for the indoor pool but I really would not have had time to use the pool anyway.

Only thing that kept this Best Western for being "absolutely" perfect was location, it was in a good location but it would have been nicer if was on the lake shore. BUT I am sure the price would no longer be what I paid....

Oh yea and I loved the cookies....

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank BenAwhile
North Carolina
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We chose this hotel for its convenient location for driving to areas of interest in the western Finger Lakes. The hotel is new, which is always a plus. The room was very large and well appointed. Oddly the bathroom was tiny. Would prefer a little more space there, as only one of us could fit in there at a time. The view was of the Duncan Donuts across the street, but we like DD so that's ok. The staff was very friendly, but had no solution for a clogged sink drain. We offered to plunge it ourselves if they could come up with a plunger, but one could not be found because the maintenance guy had left for the day. Not a big deal, but sortof inept. Breakfast was what you would expect -- basic and convenient.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus The Hammondsport Hotel
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls

Been to Best Western Plus Vineyard Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!