“Great Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penn Yan
The Fox Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 12 Penn Yan B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and another couple traveled around to local wineries and stopped mid-way to stay at the Fox Inn B&B. This B&B is a great old mansion, kept in gorgeous decor and clean condition; in inn-keepers were friendly and helpful.

We stayed in the William Fox two-room suite. A door separates the suite from the main hallway, and in the suite, a hallway separates each of the three rooms: two bedrooms and a bathroom. Both rooms were very nice, containing a welcome basket of snacks and bottled water, and were equipped with A/C. The bathroom was wonderful with a gorgeous faux-marble shower.

Breakfast is made-to-order at 8 or 9:30am. We selected items from a list the night before, and the menu was excellent: juices, teas, coffee, yogurt (with blueberries and strawberries) or a fruit dish, and eight or so main courses with variations, including light breakfast options, creme brule french toast (my choice and was delicious!) and your choice of 3 variations of frittatas (one of the main eight options). Everyone was more than satisfied with their meals.

As a suggestion if you are wine-touring, pick up the $12 Passport in one of the winery gift shops. It has free tastings at 7 of the 10 main wineries on Keuka and discounts at wineries, restaurants, and B&Bs like this one. We got a great deal!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DoctorRansom

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed at the Fox Inn with our young son this spring. We couldn't have had a better experience. Our room was spotless and included a rollaway for our son to have his own "special bed". There were lots of nice touches to make it feel homey and comfortable. The downstairs decor included lots of beautiful antique Victorian furniture and nice touches to make you feel at home. (Keurig coffee, drinks, games, etc). The new owners, Tanya and Mike had just taken over, and even their first weekend they seemed like a couple pros! They were very welcoming and friendly, and were able to address our questions right away. The breakfast was delicious, especially the crime brûlée French toast. My son ordered it, but I think I ate most of it!

Tanya and Mike also have a young son, and were kind enough to let us use some of his toys. It was lovely sitting on the back steps watching him zip around on a trike in the evening. Oh, and the yummy cookies they gave us as a parting gift were pretty awesome too!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lucy Fox room, which had a lovely serene feel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KristieSwan
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I took my wife for her birthday, and had a great time. The new management of the Inn were very helpful and interactive. We felt like we made great new friends. They were interested in what our trip plans were, and very informative on the local sites and restaurants. The William Oliver room is beautiful, and the complimentary beverage (bottled water) and snacks in the room is a nice touch. In the morning at breakfast we had the most amazing food served to us. The portions are perfect, (except for the cinnamon bun, bring a friend, Holy Cow...Best Ever). Being spring the garden is in full bloom so the aroma was wonderful, a great place for morning coffee. I guess the best description I can give is that the relaxing atmosphere compliments perfectly the Victorian Décor.

Room Tip: The William Oliver room is very spacious and relaxing, and the décor is wonderful for people who enj...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

First, let me preface this with the fact that we enjoyed our stay, but will not be going back. The location is ideal, its definitely pretty. However there are no locks when leaving your room - this is slightly unnerving but understandable in a small town. When we arrived, the smoke detector was beeping indicating low battery. We notified the female owner right away, and she stated her husband knew and would get around to it. However, it took 4 hours and a phone call to the owners while on the way out to dinner before the battery was changed. Breakfasts were delicious, but you could hear them preparing from the Dorothy Fox room making it hard to sleep. Uniquely guests get to pick their breakfast from a selection of about 6-8 choices. The room was clean, but small. And the whirlpool tub holds only one. Breakfast was served with little interaction with staff, but they were pleasant when speaking with you. During breakfast on the day of check-out, the male owner brought out our bill. We were talking with the other couple who had stayed there too. They had their wallet with them, my husband stated he did not but would bring down a credit card after we finished eating. When we were not quite through eating, the owner came out again asking my husband to pay stating he needed to do some things in the garage. This is over 1 hour prior to scheduled check-out time. My husband and I excused ourselves from breakfast stating we'd be right back and would check out then. Check-out went smooth, however if you want to enjoy breakfast on check-out day bring your money with you to breakfast. We were quite put-off by this. Owners did give a couple restaurant recommendations to us upon asking, and also told us where to find menus for local restaurants. Our stay was nice, but not what we expected for a last minute trip to Penn Yan. The room was clean, if slightly dusty and we did get fresh towels in the morning from housekeeping. In the summer, a trip might be more enjoyable with more to do throughout the town.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My preference when traveling is to stay in a bed and breakfast and I have had many excellent experiences. Unfortunately my stay at the Fox Inn was a disappointment. I will highlight the positives and negatives to give a balanced review.

Positives
Location - near the Keuka and Seneca Lake wine trails and an easy walk into the village of Penn Yan

Game Room - a beautiful pool table, antique slot machine, and complimentary coffee and tea

William Oliver room - enjoyed the gas fireplace and whirlpool tub, complimentary basket of snacks with bottled water

Breakfast - two breakfast times, choice of many entrees and generous portions

Extras - we were given home baked cookies for the ride home

Negatives

Security - there are no external locks on the room doors and the guest entrance is unlocked during the day. When questioned, the owner indicated there has never been an issue. This was an issue for me and the owner's answer is unacceptable.

Cleanliness - there was visible dust on the artificial arrangements in our room which makes me wonder about the general housekeeping practices. There was a figurine on one of the window ledges with both hands broken off (please discard). When you open the cover to adjust the heat, the area around the heating unit is clearly dirty. There were dead leaves from a plant on the floor in the guest entraway the entire weekend.

Hospitality - when the male owner showed us to our room and when we checked out, he did not offer to assist with the luggage. Owner refilled the coffee for one guest but did not extend the same courtesy to my partner. The minimal breakfast conversation seemed like he was going through the motions versus really wanting to engage with the guests. The female owner appeared to serve breakfast but otherwise was not visible and we had to introduce ourselves to her. Owner used one of the prime parking spaces.

Internet - for two days we had intermittent access to the Wifi in our room. We mentioned this to the owner but there was no remedy and he joked that we shouldn't be on the computer while on vacation. We could access the internet form the main floor.

Refrigerator - there is no refrigerator available for guest use. The refrigerator in the game room is stocked with soda and beer available for purchase. There is a grocery store within walking distance.

Housekeeping - an envelope with a suggestion for a tip for the housekeeper was left on our nightstand. I have stayed at numerous B&Bs and never experienced this. I consider any housekeeping costs to be covered by the room rate.

Misc - Keuka Lake wine trail pamphlets from 2011 in the display rack. 2012 wine trail events poster prominently displayed in the entraway. No TV station listing in the room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Cliff and Michelle are great hosts. Visted wineries for my wife's 50th birthday with 2 other couples and stayed overnight at the Fox Inn. We felt right at home from the beautiful parlor area to the bedroom. The breakfast is 5 no 6 star quality. Delicious!!
3rd time staying their. Ni other place we rather stay when touring wineries than the Fox Inn.
Thanks again Cliff and Michelle for another great getaway.
Dave Price

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My fiance and I went to this area to check out some of the wonderful wineries and had the pleasure of staying at the Fox Inn. I love staying at B&Bs but my guy had one bad experience and was put off by them. After our stay, he is totally converted! The Inn was beautiful, our room was so comfortable and the food was outstanding! He especially liked the gift basket in our room and I really liked ALL of the little touches that make staying at B&Bs so great. We are hoping to be back in the area after our wedding in July and we 100% plan on staying at the Fox Inn again. We highly recommend it!! Thankyou so much for making it great!
oh and ps! Michelles cookies are amazing!!!

Room Tip: We booked directly through the Fox Inn website and it shows all the different rooms and the prices f...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple