“A surprising treasure”

Add it.
La Trattoria
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Delivery
Description: 3156947402 is the phone number. They just opened up about a month ago.
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I took my wife to La Trattoria for her birthday this year. We wanted something casual, and she suggested trying out their pizza.

A little backstory; as a Buffalo born and raised man, I'm quite picky about my pizza and wings. Only one place anywhere around Penn Yan makes a decent pizza, but they've been hit or miss depending on the cook that prepares it. So I was not expecting much from La Trattoria at first. I was letting my prejudice of Penn Yan pizza, and their somewhat minimalistic atmosphere influence me.

I'm proud to say I couldn't have been more wrong. The pizza was very good, possibly the best pizza I've had since moving to Penn Yan that I didn't make myself. The sauce was a little more on the mild side then I personally like, but the dough was excellent and perfectly done in New York thin crust style. There were a good amount of toppings and it was baked to absolute perfection, not too doughy, not too crispy. But what really blew my mind was the wings. These were perfect Buffalo style wings. Immediately upon biting into them I could tell that they were properly done with butter and Franks brand redhot sauce. Deep fried just enough to give the right amount of crisp without burning, they were absolutely drenched in sauce. Also in typical Buffalo tradition their 'mild' wings were about as spicy as anywhere elses 'medium' in the area. To me that's perfect, but if you're sensitive to spicy foods, be forewarned.

Here's the kicker. The price was fantastic. For possibly the best pizza I've had outside of Buffalo, and definitly the best wings, it was under $15. The other local place that's decent charges more than twice that much for the same thing. My wife and I made sure we got a menu so we could order from them in the future after they told us they even deliver!

As for the restaurant itself, well, the decor is the only downside I could see. The location has been converted from a pizza place, to a cafe, to a chineese buffet, to a diner, and then to it's current itteration. As such it feels a bit picked over. The decor is a bit minimalist and the blacks and reds fit the theme, but feel a bit sparse. However the fantastic service from not only our waitress, but someone who I'm going to assume was the owner was as excellent as you could expect.

All told I'm really blown away by this hidden treasure in Penn Yan. I would highly suggest you try it out, and don't make a judgement based on the appearance, you won't regret your meal.

1  Thank PeterWaite

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We enjoyed a delicious dinner at La Trattoria on our recent trip to the Finger Lakes. The restaurant still doesn't have their liquor license and they do have some more renos to do but the meal tasted home-cooked. We spoke to the two owners following the meal and they were very pleasant to chat with.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My mom and I just came back from a nice dinner at La Trattoria in Penn Yan, NY. it's located right next to the Best Western which is where we are staying for the next few days.  The restaurant needs decor, pronto! There are candles everywhere which is nice but they weren't lit ( it was only 6pm!) I feel as if the bathroom is more decorated than the restaurant itself.

There's a nice variety of dishes on the menu including traditional Italian meals like chicken parm, spaghetti, pizza and salads. They also offer burgers and sandwiches with fries which I thought was interesting.

My mom and I decided to share the special of the day, fettuccine Alfredo with chicken. It came with salad and hot homemade bread. Let me just say that we shared it and still had enough for lunch the next day! It was a good price of $14. We ordered an extra side salad ($2.50?). I thought the dish was kind of bland and would have been better with garlic, white pepper, garlic powder, parm cheese, something! The chicken was also bland; but nicely cooked and not dry at all.

Service was good; out waitress was very attentive as was the hostest.

All in all, a nice restaurant. Definitely go check it out.

1  Thank Laurenn7147
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Refreshing new Italian restaurant!
Our party of nine enjoyed dinner very much!
Chicken Parm, Eggplant Rolintini, Spaghetti all good!
Sauce was bright not dark or loaded with sugar.
Bruschetta excellent!
Service very attentive and well timed.
Atmosphere /personality needs work but it's new, I'm sure they willl get there!
They need Italian Music and decor to spice it up.
The area restaurant offerings are dominated somewhat by a local group who serves mediocre food in most of their establishments so if you want to have a great authentic meal visit La Tratattoria!
Hubby said Yes, Yes!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We ordered three pizzas for delivery: margarita, veggie, and pepperoni and were really impressed. Fresh, delicious ingredients, and a nice crust - delivered quickly by a friendly driver. We'll definitely call again! Keep up the great work.