“Poor Experience”

Dining options: Reservations
Bear Creek, Pennsylvania
“Poor Experience”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We dined at what they call the "New" Sarrasin's on the Lake. We ate there at 7PM on a Friday night. We chose to sit at the bar which may have been a mistake because the service was next to non-existant. There was a small TV playing and no music. There was another couple seated there when we arrived but they left shortly thereafter. There were very few people in the restaurant which seemed strange. We ate at the "Old" Sarrisin's over the years but did not care for it, and thought we'd give the "New" place a try. We found that nothing has changed...the same furnishings and even some of the same waitstaff. We ordered the fish fry special which was terrible. The salad was warm, the cole slaw was warm and the fish was tasteless. The waitress told us they were out of baked potatoes. My wife had a pasta dish which was bland. Their beer selection was poor and my draft was served in a warm glass and the temperature of the beer was unacceptable. My wife had a glass of wine and again the selection was poor and the server was uncertain of the kind of wine they had. The wine serving was in a small glass. We will never go back to this restaurant again.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank John B

Elmira, New York
“they know how to please there guests!!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Food was awesome and service was great!!!! Make a mean Manhattan Filet and the signature dessert was melt in my mouth!!!! Juli you were great and Tammy you were right the best Margaritas around!!! We will be back!!!

• Visited August 2011
Dobbs Ferry
“Karaoke night from Hell”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We arrived and sat down in the bar area because there was a large meeting going on in the dining room. We had a very nice table with the lake view and a very lovely waitress. Unfortunately the attendees of the meeting spilled into the bar area and after looking at a little card on the table saw that Karaoke Night was starting at 7pm, it was the restaurant's first time doing it, on a Wed.
We tolerated it until a Def Leopard song was sung.
The food and wine were very good and the service was excellent. Our poor waitress said, ' she won't be working Wednesday's any more".

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Lorrie K
Ottawa, Canada
“Decor reminiscent of a retirement home. Food marginal.”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

When I asked the hotel desk clerk to recommend a nice place for a meal and glass of wine, we were told to try Sarrasin's on the Lake. Driving up, the exterior looked nice and dare I say upscale. But once in, the large dated opened dining room looked like a retirement home - not helped by tables of mostly elderly patrons. It was scorching hot so no one was sitting outside. Nonetheless, this is Penn Yan, not New York City, so we gave the place a chance. I had the "fish fry" - which in U.S. speak is just fish and chips - and my mom had the steak. Not horrible, but not great either. There was nothing fresh or homemade about the food. The salad was a very mediocre mix of iceberg lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes. The bread sticks were undercooked and looked store bought. I couldn't help but feel really uncomfortable about the place, sort of a "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmare" vibe. Service was good (place wasn't busy) and price was reasonable but that's all. Wouldn't go back or recommend.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank StephMcD3
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
“Great view, terrible food and service.”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I must say that my family ate at this restaurant last summer and had absolutely wonderful service and very good food. That's why we went back this year. What a difference!!! The place was so understaffed. We waited about an hour to be seated (we did say we didn't mind waiting to have a table outside) and then at least another hour to get our food. But the worst part is that when we finally did get our food it was absolutely terrible. The baked potatoes were nearly cold - no way you could melt butter on them. The lobster was totally tough as if it had been cooked and then re-heated. The salmon was burnt on the outside and raw on the inside, and the vegetables were not fresh. I will say the manager did comp the meals, but my husband left hungry as he couldn't even eat his meal. The salad was good and the view was great, but we will NOT be returning to this restaurant.

• Visited July 2011