“Decor reminiscent of a retirement home. Food marginal.”
Review of Sarrasin's on the Lake - CLOSED

Sarrasin's on the Lake
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2011

When I asked the hotel desk clerk to recommend a nice place for a meal and glass of wine, we were told to try Sarrasin's on the Lake. Driving up, the exterior looked nice and dare I say upscale. But once in, the large dated opened dining room looked like a retirement home - not helped by tables of mostly elderly patrons. It was scorching hot so no one was sitting outside. Nonetheless, this is Penn Yan, not New York City, so we gave the place a chance. I had the "fish fry" - which in U.S. speak is just fish and chips - and my mom had the steak. Not horrible, but not great either. There was nothing fresh or homemade about the food. The salad was a very mediocre mix of iceberg lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes. The bread sticks were undercooked and looked store bought. I couldn't help but feel really uncomfortable about the place, sort of a "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmare" vibe. Service was good (place wasn't busy) and price was reasonable but that's all. Wouldn't go back or recommend.

1  Thank StephMcD3

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I must say that my family ate at this restaurant last summer and had absolutely wonderful service and very good food. That's why we went back this year. What a difference!!! The place was so understaffed. We waited about an hour to be seated (we did say we didn't mind waiting to have a table outside) and then at least another hour to get our food. But the worst part is that when we finally did get our food it was absolutely terrible. The baked potatoes were nearly cold - no way you could melt butter on them. The lobster was totally tough as if it had been cooked and then re-heated. The salmon was burnt on the outside and raw on the inside, and the vegetables were not fresh. I will say the manager did comp the meals, but my husband left hungry as he couldn't even eat his meal. The salad was good and the view was great, but we will NOT be returning to this restaurant.

1  Thank Pamela H
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We went on a Sunday. Our server was a bit snarky because they were busy. There were Sunday specials which included a salad/soup bar. Italian wedding soup. Familiar with the meatballs in a canned spaghetti? And everyone's favorite, canned spinach? Minute rice? Those, I am reasonably certain, were the things floating in my chicken broth. My special entre was ravioli with scallops/lobster/shrimp in a cream sauce. Edible, but only barely. The ravioli itself was likely from the groery section of bj's warehouse. I have no clue where that sauce originated. Oh. There was pieces of canned asparagas in the sauce. I love asparagas. But please, not canned. My spouse had the dried up barbecued ribs special, which she barely touched, opting instead for margaritas, straight up, no salt. Our server said this place had recently reopened under new management. I enjoy eating out. Doesn't matter if it's high-end or low-life bar food, as long as the service is friendly and the food decent. This place sits right on the lake, with options for stting outside, with great views inside........... A lot of potential if they hired a real chef and some decent servers. Next time I am hungry in this town I'll opt for chicken mcnuggets.

2  Thank swampknot