“Excellent meal with an authentic taste”

Itacate Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 48 Restaurants in Penfield
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: If you're looking for that quaint, quiet place to sit down and enjoy authentic Mexican recipes passed down from generations, you will find it here.Itacate features classic Mexican dishes prepared using fresh ingredients. Family-owned and operated, our menu features the same items we ate growing up at our mother or abuelita's kitchen, items such as chile rellenos; asado de puerco; carnitas; or the intricate flavors of the tortilla soup. For those with special menu needs, we offer both gluten-free and vegan friendly options.We want you to feel as if you were eating at one of our homes. We provide you with a casual dining atmosphere in which to enjoy a family meal.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I've been eating and cooking mexican food for a long time. I make my own enchilada sauce for example so I have a pretty good idea of the difference between an establishment with great Mexican food versus Taco Hell.

I went with my girlfriend on my parents recommendation after they had eaten here twice. We were quite pleased with the friendliness of the staff, speed of service, and the quality of food. The sauces were authentic and flavorful, salsa was delicious, and the owner's homemade hot sauce is not for the faint of heart. It gave me the impression of Habanero peppers not Jalapenos. Spicy and delicious.

I had the enchiladas and my GF the Carne Asada. Both were delicious. The homemade margarita was excellent as well. Prices were very good. They just got their liquor license so don't walk in expecting a big selection. Dos Equis for beer which I find decent anyhow so no fault there.

The atmosphere was simple, clean enough, nothing fancy, but for the people commenting that they expected something amazing I don't "get" where you're coming from.

3  Thank David_NY_USA

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Rochester doesn't have enough Mexican restaurants to be sure. This is a gem of an addition that is a must visit. Excellent service, a cute interior and ambiance and a traditional and cheaply priced menu. Think $1.75 for a kids quesadilla! Try the American Burrito---awesome! Everything we had was delicious and of really high quality. Fresh fresh fresh. Try the flan or coconut sorbet for dessert. Amazingly tasty and perfect. Top it all with a friendly owner and it was a great meal for a family of 5!

1  Thank dlekas
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Small menu, but they make up for it with fresh, delicious food. Friendly and attentive staff; we will definitely be back

Reviewed January 7, 2013

After reading some of the reviews I was not sure but we decided to try it and am glad that we did. There was 10 of us, they did not serve alcohol but that was OK the food and service was excellent. Everyone loved what they had ,we tried the desserts they were also excellent!! We will definitely go back!!

3  Thank Missy41504
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Looking at the outside of the buiding, you might over look this gem. The food is wonderful, staff is great and expirence perfect! Menu doesnt have tons to select from, but the options they have are very tastey. Took the family there, they were not thrilled when we pulled in, but with full stomaches that loved the place. Diffenately a diamond in the rough!

2  Thank 4gourmetharts