“lack of compassion they demonstrated after attending a funeral”
Review of Inn on the Hudson

Inn on the Hudson
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Peekskill
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I booked a 1 day stay at, Inn on the Hudson to attend a funeral in the morning. I checked in Thursday evening, 2/7/14. Accommodations were clean and had ample space for my dog. I had no complaints with this pet-friendly lodging. I attended the funeral the next morning and expected to return prior to the 1pm check-out, however, due to unforeseen circumstances I did not make it back to the Inn till 1:23PM. By that time the magnetic key card had already been disabled and I was unable to gain entry back into the room to retrieve my bag and my dog. I attempted to explain the circumstances to the lady at the desk but, she brushed me off and just replied , “ that’s the business.” I asked her if the cleaning person could allow me entry and she replied that they were gone. For the 23minutes that I was late I had to pay an additional $65.00! To top it all off, as I was pulling out of the hotel lot I saw the cleaning lady pushing her cart going to the next room. Apparently, she was not gone! I give this location a bad review on customer service due to the lack of compassion they demonstrated after attending a funeral.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank Juana C
Innonthehudson, General Manager at Inn on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

All our team members at the Inn are sorry for your loss and we are always very compassionate and sensitive in these type of circumstances. So much so, we granted your request to have a 1pm late check out at no additional charge. The normal check out time is 11am. Unfortunately, you did not return until after 1:30pm to check out. Usually, we charge an additional full night stay for check outs this late, because our housekeepers are not available at that late time to clean rooms. Furthermore, there were other guest attending the same funeral that were also granted late check outs at no additional charge. However, under the circumstances you were only charged an additional 1/2 nights stay.
The housekeeping lady you saw was our Housekeeping Supervisor who is responsible for thoroughly inspecting rooms, before releasing them back to the front desk for sale, not cleaning rooms.
Again, we are all very sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed one night. We were in town for a party. Magnificent view of the Hudson River. Old fashioned motel with a great bed, old bathroom but very, very clean. Breakfast in the lobby in the morning. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2014

A great view, and the price is OK. The refurb of the rooms seem like it was a bit slap-dash in some areas, but they were clean. The train whistle adds an interesting touch. I was there for business and would likely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Jim L
Reviewed January 1, 2014

a four night stay - the choice was mainly determined by ease of access and location close to downtown Peekskill. The room was properly furnished with rather institutional motel furnishings, desk, chest of drawers, fridge and microwave tucked into a closet not big enough for the equipment. Nice bathroom, good fittings, good towels, mats etc. The provided rubber shower mat most welcome. Since the purpose of the stay was to visit with family the time actually passed in the room was minimal - did not visit the dining room or sample the breakfast hence no comment. My room fronted on the parking lot - hey, this is a motel! - but a stroll to the edge of the property facing the Hudson gave a fine river view.

Room Tip: To make the best use of the location, talk with the desk about rooms in the main building or second...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cloudseleyshovell
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed only one night as a quick Manhattan getaway to check out the Peekskill art scene. And I would definitely return to the Inn on the Hudson. It was convenient to Metro North -- we didn't want to rent a car -- and was just one hour from Manhattan. Yes, it did require a 15-20 minute walk, part of it up a very steep hill that wasn't pedestrian friendly, but we didn't consider that a big deal. (Even better, we passed a bakery and munched on a scrumptious cannoli as we trekked to the inn.) However, the weather didn't cooperate -- that morning the east coast was hit with a massive snowstorm. But with snow blanketing the Hudson Valley, it made our stay even more scenic. We had reserved a room -- which was great value for the money -- in a renovated room, on the floor above ground level, and overlooking the Hudson. The view of the river and the far shore from the bed couldn't be beat. The bed was comfortable with an ultra soft duvet and a bathroom that came with its own heating control. (A real plus because I like a toasty bathroom.) The staff was very helpful, even though we couldn't check-in until the required 3pm time. (We arrived at 10am and they did allow us to drop our bags in their back room, which was fine. We simply walked 5-10 minutes into town and spent the day exploring the outdoor sculptures, cafes and shops.) Also, the grounds crew was very attentive to shoveling and de-icing the property, key given the steep slope you have to drive or walk down to get to the main road. For dinner, we walked 5 minutes to a fine restaurant, Birdsall House, which is an atmospheric tavern that's all about the slow food movement. What a great way to end the day.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jcreature
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The hotel staff was nice enough to give us a view of the Hudson even tho we did not pay for the best rooms.
The rooms were small but very clean and comfortable. The staff was very pleasant and the breakfast was adequate. Not bad for the price in West Chester county.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MAMACITA2013
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Positives: Views, quick weekend out of the city, price. 5 - 7 minute walk to Division St. evening life. Beds are extremely comfortable.
Note: Rooms are average, nothing luxurious or out of this world. Continental breakfast. 15 min walk from train station, uphill. People seem to stay here while attending weddings nearby.

We liked this place to get out NYC for a quick weekend, no car.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 - 4 have unobstructed views of the river and mountains. Outside, the 4 rooms share a common...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sancho1982
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peekskill
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Point
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley

Been to Inn on the Hudson? Share your experiences!