“Come for the Views”
Review of Inn on the Hudson

Inn on the Hudson
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Peekskill
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed only one night as a quick Manhattan getaway to check out the Peekskill art scene. And I would definitely return to the Inn on the Hudson. It was convenient to Metro North -- we didn't want to rent a car -- and was just one hour from Manhattan. Yes, it did require a 15-20 minute walk, part of it up a very steep hill that wasn't pedestrian friendly, but we didn't consider that a big deal. (Even better, we passed a bakery and munched on a scrumptious cannoli as we trekked to the inn.) However, the weather didn't cooperate -- that morning the east coast was hit with a massive snowstorm. But with snow blanketing the Hudson Valley, it made our stay even more scenic. We had reserved a room -- which was great value for the money -- in a renovated room, on the floor above ground level, and overlooking the Hudson. The view of the river and the far shore from the bed couldn't be beat. The bed was comfortable with an ultra soft duvet and a bathroom that came with its own heating control. (A real plus because I like a toasty bathroom.) The staff was very helpful, even though we couldn't check-in until the required 3pm time. (We arrived at 10am and they did allow us to drop our bags in their back room, which was fine. We simply walked 5-10 minutes into town and spent the day exploring the outdoor sculptures, cafes and shops.) Also, the grounds crew was very attentive to shoveling and de-icing the property, key given the steep slope you have to drive or walk down to get to the main road. For dinner, we walked 5 minutes to a fine restaurant, Birdsall House, which is an atmospheric tavern that's all about the slow food movement. What a great way to end the day.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jcreature
There are newer reviews for Inn on the Hudson

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The hotel staff was nice enough to give us a view of the Hudson even tho we did not pay for the best rooms.
The rooms were small but very clean and comfortable. The staff was very pleasant and the breakfast was adequate. Not bad for the price in West Chester county.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MAMACITA2013
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Positives: Views, quick weekend out of the city, price. 5 - 7 minute walk to Division St. evening life. Beds are extremely comfortable.
Note: Rooms are average, nothing luxurious or out of this world. Continental breakfast. 15 min walk from train station, uphill. People seem to stay here while attending weddings nearby.

We liked this place to get out NYC for a quick weekend, no car.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 - 4 have unobstructed views of the river and mountains. Outside, the 4 rooms share a common...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sancho1982
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed three nights at the hotel. It's a 50's hotel so don't expect elegance. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We were in a "renovated" room but wasn't too impressed. The GFI receptacle in the bath was half hidden behind the bathroom vanity thus leaving only one plug available which didn't work. We couldn't get at the button to reset the GFI. The staff was friendly and the view of the Hudson River was wonderful. All in all, if you are just looking for a place to rest your head, this will suffice nicely. If you are looking for something modern and very nice...you might look elsewhere. Would we stay here again? Yes.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Chuck S
Innonthehudson, General Manager at Inn on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Thank you for your previous stay and your candid review. All of our rooms are renovated, but not all of the bathrooms are completed yet. The rooms with new bathrooms are appointed with all new fixtures, lighting and electrical, tile walls, floor and more.

We hope you can come visit us again and stay in one of our fully renovated rooms.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We booked a group block for our wedding weekend in October. Since our wedding ceremony & reception were in the area, we needed a place that was nearby and could accommodate all our guests who needed a place to stay for either two nights or just one. After speaking with Debbie over six months ago, I knew my guests were in great hands!! Every time I had a question throughout these past months, she was there with an answer and always a friendly disposition. If she wasn't available, Cassandra, Ryan or any other staff member was there to help. They were all so helpful and made many out of towners feel welcomed. The rooms were updated, clean and comfortable. The view was amazing, especially with the autumn foliage. The continental breakfast was just enough and the coffee was ALWAYS flowing fresh & delicious!!!! For a small inn, the Inn on the Hudson was just what we needed to make our traveling wedding guests feel comfortable and right at home!!!!!!!! Job well done to them all!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Moniveggie
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My rating doesn't reflect the room , the staff or the property's beautiful views of the
Hudson. My rating is for mgmt. misleading the public. I read reviews and the responses from mgmt. before booking a stay here. There are definitely a lot of construction workers staying at this Inn . Families might not feel comfortable, I was not completely comfortable.
Also after receiving a confirmation email, I tried to respond and ask a question twice- did not receive a response either time. Next I went the website, asked for the manager's email address, no response there either.
Here are the issues I had with my stay
1. Pets welcome: discussed this with Ryan at length. There was a nice grassy area to walk the dog but Never once when discussing room rate did he tell me there was a daily pet charge. Ive stayed at Sheraton's in MA and DC and Meridian in MA and simply had a hold on my card, not a daily chg. However, if that is their policy, I should have been told during the two calls I made to discuss rate. instead it was inserted at the very bottom of an email confirmation. In fact I missed it the first two times I reviewed that email. . I WAS SHOCKED BECAUSE Ryan advised that I shouldn't book thru a third party site- that I wouldn't get the nicer rooms ANd frequently they add fees. So I went with booking direct at $29/night more- and then they added $20/night for my dog which was never discussed. This is when I immediately responded to their email but was ignored. Let's be clear, I was not mad that they had a pet charge, I was upset that no one told me about this when I priced the room and when I booked it.
I was surprised I rec'd no response because I see that mgmt. responds to these reviews!
2. The room is small but very clean and very nicely recently remodeled...

3. The pool: A pretty locaton with tables and umbrellas -,on such a beautiful day, I thought
I'd sit out there and read overlooking the beautiful Hudson- wrong again.
The pool is padlocked. I was not told the pool would be closed during the week
4. Breakfast: A very nice variety of good quality quick breakfast items. No complaints at all. I've stayed at bigger hotels with lots of room to eat that didn't have as many items as this one did

In closing, this must have been a gem back in the 60's. The rooms have been
nicely redone. They are small but thats what motel rooms were like back then. A
microwave, fridge, nice closets and nicely done bathroom.I could be very
comfortable here if it werent for the issues listed. It was nice just reading watching the beautiful scenery until the construction workers return later in the day-
For this it would be tough for me to recommend to a family
Oh, The restaurant on property has a beautiful deck with amazing views. We didn't eat here but we did stop for a drink. I was astounded at the NYC prices, again the view was beautiful but then just to my right are a bunch of bare chested construction workers drinking on their porch and using foul language
This ruined it fr me- this could be such a nice place to stay.
Tips: ask for room #1 if you decide to give it a try

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rrbh
Innonthehudson, General Manager at Inn on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

We apologize for any confusion about the Pet Fee. However, this room was booked days before check-in and an e-mail confirmation was sent with-in minutes after the booking explaining our Pet Fee. The guest had more than ample time to change, modify or cancel their reservation without penalty.

We also apologize for not responding to your e-mail, however we have no record of receiving it, including checking our junk mail. We respond to all e-mails received.

We advertise the pool is seasonal. The pool normally closes after Labor Day. This year we kept the pool open on weekends thru September per future guest requests.

Lastly, we do not discriminate against anybody or business's that require rooms for any legal purpose.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed last night and the night before at the inn. The room was comfortable and the view was beautiful. When we checked in my he was told that the resturant was open until 10:00pm. After being out all day we returned to a very full parking lot and drove around 3xs til we found a space to park. That was fine we realized there was a party going on. We went to get something to eat at the resturant, which we were told was open til 10, and were told that there was a private party and we couldn't even get a cup of coffee! Had we known this before we came back we would have eaten out. We didn't want to leave at that point, we didn't want to take the risk of not being able to park. Would we stay there again? Yes, because we figured it was just an oversite that shouldn't have happened.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank crashLongIslandNy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peekskill
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley

Been to Inn on the Hudson? Share your experiences!