“Seedy and Overpriced”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Peekskill
New York City, New York
“Seedy and Overpriced”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This review details my FIRST-HAND experience with this "establishment."

The view is pretty - it's the ONLY good thing about this hotel. "The Inn" has no right to charge such high prices for an old hotel that is so run down and sorely in need of renovation, repair and staffing. That is just WRONG. My husband and I fled from this place - and I mean we FLED. THAT was a first. BELIEVE the negative reviews. Here are the details.

CHECK IN/THE LOBBY:
Terrible first impression. Outdated/messy. The woman in this "lobby" was not welcoming & never even cracked a smile. Upon check in she informed my husband and I that a "security deposit" was required. When I made the reservation (with her) over the phone I was not told ANYTHING of the kind! But now we were being told: $100 security deposit for paying cash and if we pay by credit card - there's a $40 security deposit. The deposits are refunded after final "room inspection." WHO DOES THIS? Not even the finest hotels! I peeked into the restaurant (off the "lobby") which didn't resemble the website photos at all. More like a musty smelling, run down bar.

ROOMS:
Our first room was a balcony twin with a view of the Hudson. I noticed right away something that another reviewer said: the doors don't close properly, because we had a hard time getting into the room. The doors to the room & the balcony have to be tugged HARD to open - and SLAMMED hard to close.

The rug looked clean and the beds looked comfy so I sat down. THE COMFORTER AND THE SHEETS WERE WET - AND I MEAN WET. ON BOTH BEDS. I was grossed out. I ran to check the Bathroom . . . you guessed it - TOWELS: WET.

Upon calling reception I was told that "the maintenance man" would come up. Maintenance man shows up - holding a pile of sheets & states that housekeeping went home and he "does not change sheets." "Neither do I," I replied, "Not when I'm on vacation and I'm paying this price for a room!"
Long story short: they moved us to a "renovated room" because not a person there would change the sheets. (I'm very sorry I didn't get photos of the filthy, stained tub in this bathroom before we moved.)

NEW ROOM:
Ground floor, view not as great - but the sheets and towels are dry. Room is far from "renovated" but it is nicely painted. While I'm unpacking my husband goes directly to pool - which looks refreshing. Upon unpacking I find a small bloodstain in a dresser drawer, dirty windowsills with dead bugs & finally "white yucky looking stuff" on the black-splash of bathroom sink. At that point I decided to keep my clothing IN my carry-on. Tub/shower newer than last room but still not up to par as far as cleanliness. Now I am really GROSSED out. How can I bathe/sleep here? For my husband's sake I will try! I put on my bathing suit and walked to the pool.

BRING EARPLUGS
Now that I"m standing in the pool area I can see what did NOT show in the pictures: a Thruway beneath us - and THEN the view of the Hudson! (GOOGLE it - you will see!)
POOL:
The water looked clear & refreshing. Upon entering & grabbing the hand rail - it wobbles and tilts over to the side. Rust fragments float away. OK, that's broken! I look down. There is dirt all over the pool floor, some sort of disgusting imbedded stains & bugs floating around. I decide to stay on the top step & wet my feet. My husband swims over and he's kind of grossed out too. We get out of the pool & sit at a table to gaze at the view.

Unfortunately it's the exact opposite of tranquil with all the HORNS honking, train whistles blowing & vehicles racing past. I thought of my own peaceful backyard. I looked down to scratch an itch on my leg - and spotted large groupings of tiny ants milling everywhere on the old, cracked cement. EWE!! I am totally sickened!

As if to put the icing on the cake a variety of work trucks (fencing, landscaping etc) barrel into the parking lot and park directly in front of the ground floor rooms - promptly blocking the last good thing: the view of the Hudson. Upon making inquiry of teenaged "lifeguard" we found out that they were in fact staying overnight. This was ONE thing that wasn't the owner's fault - but it ruined the last good thing - the view - and so there was NO reason to stay here any longer and we marched to the office to check out.

To their credit the nice boy who was now at the front desk was pleasant & checked us out/issued a refund without any problem - as 3 more enormous trucks pulled into the parking lot. Two thumbs down on all counts - and if I had more thumbs I'd point them down as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gram777
Innonthehudson, Manager at Inn on the Hudson, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
This review is unfair and does not accurately reflect the Inn as evidenced by an overwhelming amount of positive reviews received. In fact the reviewer was very negative from the beginning, although we bent over backwards trying accommodate her during the very short time she was on property. She was given a full refund.

The lobby is a little outdated, however an Architect has been commissioned to completely re-design the lobby. We hope to begin construction this fall.

I worked as a manager for a major hotel chain for 20yrs and there is nothing unusual about our security deposit policies for cash.

The day of check-in was during one of the most oppressive heat waves on record. The first room she checked into may have been a little damp due to the a/c units working double time.

The complaints about the second room are totally unfounded. The renovation of this room is under one year. Not only did it receive fresh paint, but an entire new bathroom with subway tile and all new fixtures. All of our fully renovated rooms also have new window treatment, Flat screen HD TV's, 300 thread count sheets and more.

The pool is crystal clear and inspected regularly by the Heath Department. There is always a certified lifeguard on duty that also checks and cleans the pool for environmental debris. It is an outdoor pool.

Normally we do not have work trucks here. However this day, a crew of tree trimmers did stay with us. They were hired by the local utility to trim trees around power lines. They were here in an effort to prevent another Hurricane Sandy like disaster and there was no other place for them stay.

Our Inn is a quaint and beautiful place to stay with stunning views of the Hudson River. The Inn would not still be in business since 1957, if this review had an ounce of credibility.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
NY
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This motel type establishment sits on a nice piece of property overlooking the Hudson River. The lobby is quite old looking and it is unfortunate that it hasn't been updated because it gives a bad first impression. I was traveling by myself on a business trip and the lobby experience was a bit intimidating...I thought the room would be the same, but fortunately it wasn't. The room was small, but nicely renovated, painted a nice color with nice furniture, a comfortable queen size bed and the bathroom had new fixtures and tile. There was an outdoor swimming pool on the premises too that was appealing. The neighborhood immediately past the hotel was a bit "sketchy" so I decided to order in for dinner. If I had to spend the night there again, I might do so because I couldn't find any other worthwhile hotel/motel in the vacinity. I think that if they invested in their lobby, the inn would be much more attractive and inviting.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Nmnikolis
Innonthehudson, Manager at Inn on the Hudson, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for your candid review. Your assessment of our lobby is correct. That is we have commissioned an architect to re-design the lobby and entrance. This will be a major renovation which will include relocating the front desk and creating a separate continental breakfast area. Hopefully, the next time you visit us, we will have a beautiful new lobby and entrance in par with our beautiful new rooms.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel is located with a stunning view of the Hudson River. The room was very comfortable and clean. The hotel rents out to a separate restaurant. I thought the food was very good and we sat out on the patio and watched the sun set on the Hudson...Wow! The hotel breakfast was fair to good-- standard for hotel continental breakfast but nothing great. The odd things about the hotel were the fact there was a group of men drinking and hanging out down the way from us. They caused no harm, but they were not scenic. Additionally, the hours of the pool were such that we really couldn't use it. Hotel was very reasonably priced and well located to explore Westchester Co. We were left with the impression that this could be really a special place with a little thoughtful renovation and marketing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I chose it as its great location on my way home from a long drive for a stop-by for two nights. The room is small, but it has microwave and a small refrigerator. The whole structure seems just to have a renovation, or at least painted. Everything looks clean and fresh. There is no coffee maker, but free breakfast is offered in the lobby. Most reviews mentioned the beautiful view, you can't miss it. With overlooking down the wide Hudson River and the mountains on the back, it is relaxing to drink your coffee in front of it on the wide porch. While I say a perfect place for a short stay, it may be good for a longer stay: the town has plenty food choices to offer, the Bear Mountain has gorgeous Sever Lakes for you to visit, etc. I say as long as you don't plan to stay inside of the room much, you will be happy to stay there. It is over my expectation for a two- star hotel. We may go back to the hotel for the scenery in the mountain.

Room Tip: The room we stayed is their standard room, too small for a family. There might be townhouse type roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
northcoast
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Reality does not measure up to the photos or the description.
You are paying for the views.
While the sweeping view of the Hudson from the terrace was exactly as advertised it was the only thing that made our stay for one night out of the scheduled two worth while. Badly in need of rehabbing. I don't know where they are stashing the renovated rooms with the nice bathrooms that they picture, but our bathroom was right out of a horror movie. It was crap and it was just creepy. Old, old, old and so many coats of paint over everything it is in danger of falling right off the walls. Try putting some window covers over the bathroom windows. That frosted glass does nothing to give privacy with the light on at night and anyone can just walk right up to the windows on the walkway that runs the length of the back of the building where the entrance to the second floor rooms are. To their credit that walkway was very well lit.
The terrace door has been painted so many times it is hard to open and close. Bad fit and finish on all exterior surfaces. The railings between terrace units are not even secured on one end. Safety issue. Lovely view and nice furniture. Very relaxing to sit out on but don't look for a lot of privacy out there.
The room smelled stale and old and it is.

The pool was run down and badly stained, at least I hope all those dark areas on the bottom and walls were stains rather than accumulated crud. Area surrounding the pool had cracks everywhere, weeds starting to pop through, and the pool water was cloudy water.

The staff was friendly and responsive and the continental breakfast was varied and adequate.
The 24 hr. beverage bar was a nice touch but none of these things are enough to overcome a premium rate for a very sub-premium room.
We will never go back.

Room Tip: If they exist, make sure you get a renovated room. Supposedly these renovations have been going on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank feedthesweet
Innonthehudson, Manager at Inn on the Hudson, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for your response. All of our rooms have been renovated to some degree. They all have new bedding, 300 threat count sheets, carpet, window treatment and HD flat screen TV's. About half of our rooms are fully renovated, which includes new bathrooms. Since the renovation of the bathrooms is very extensive and time consuming they are done during our off season. We hope to complete many more during the upcoming off season this winter.

Travelers are raving about these Peekskill hotels

Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We looked and looked for a place to stay in June when EVERYONE was either graduating getting married or otherwise celebrating something. This place was full the first, second and third time I checked. B&Bs were expensive. Finally, a room became available and I grabbed it. It fit the bill perfectly. We had two events and this hotel was about 15-20 min from each place. It has a great view. The continental breakfast was quite adequate - they even had a choice of cereal other than for kids, some yogurt, fruit, bagels and English muffins. Their restaurant was nothing special, however, it was nice to have that as an option. The room had a microwave and a 'fridge. There was a lovely balcony off the room where we could sit and enjoy the incredible view of the Hudson river below. The way the hotel is built, you have the advantage of a great view from above -- yet you have no stairs to lug suitcases.

Room Tip: Room up the hill with the deck seem best. It felt like you were up above, but yet you had no stairs...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
CT
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Selected this hotel for a single night stay based on view. Our room was located so that from both the window and the comfortable deck outside we had a fantastic, high up and unobstructed view of the river and the sunset. The restaurant was very good for dinner, as was the self-serve breakfast provided by the hotel. We were encouraged to see ongoing renovation/upgrading of both facilities and grounds. We would definitely stay here again and would also recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Request water/west-facing room in the building that houses the office and bar/restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sterlingcat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peekskill
The Thayer Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bear Mountain
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Point
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown

Been to Inn on the Hudson? Share your experiences!