“Not a welcoming or warm spot to eat”
Review of Birdsall House

Birdsall House
Ranked #16 of 76 Restaurants in Peekskill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Pleasantville, New York
“Not a welcoming or warm spot to eat”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This restaurant is dark and the waitstaff unfriendly. We literally had to use our cell phone to read the menu. We actually felt reprimanded when we asked questions about the menu. There were limited non-meat choices; yes, there were a few (recited defensively by the waitress), but two of them were "blackened," and the third had cheese on it. So if you don't like spicy food, as my sister doesn't, and cannot eat dairy, there are limited choices. The only choice of soup had meat in it. There are also two projectors projecting black-and-white movies (without sound) side by side onto the wall. An attempt at ambiance, but actually distracting if you are trying to have a conversation. This place is more of a bar that serves food than a restaurant. If you go with that in mind, maybe it's fine.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Andrea939

Boston, Massachusetts
“A new bar has been set...”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

As a vegetarian, I was completely overwhelmed with the taste and quality of the lunch I enjoyed at the Birdsall House. The decor is unique, and certainly not overbearing: vintage magazines framed on the wall, and 2 projectors mounted above the bar showing old films on the wall will not wow or amaze you, but the food definitely will. My friend suggested we go there because of their beet burger ( a combination of beets and rolled oats, served on a brioche roll with carmelized onions and goat cheese), but I opted for the blackened tofu sandwich, served on grilled sourdough bread with arugula and a cajun remoulade sauce. I also asked for their fennel and celery slaw instead of the side salad that normally accompanies the sandwich.
Since I can not use expletives here, I will simply say this: I am looking forward to the 200 mile drive that I will have to make to enjoy this delicious, sublime, treat for the senses, which in my opinion, has no equal. Get some of the house fries and homemade smokey-spiced ketchup ( they sell it to go too), and take yourself to a new culinary plane. And the beet burger was great too. No beer for me this time, but apparently, it's one of the major draws for the restaurant. So please, go and eat and drink here, so that I can continue making a road-trip to the beautiful hamlet of Peekskill for my favorite sandwich of all-time.

New York City, New York
“Great Beer selection and the food is not bad either”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Bridsall house is a small restaurant. The decor isn't anything special. However, the beer menu is. They have 20 different craft beers on tap that does change quite frequently. If you are a craft beer lover then this is a great place to try some new beers. They will let you taste things first before you buy a glass so you don't have to worry about getting something you might not like. They have a limited menu but it is very good and not your typical pub food. I had the pork nachos which was really good and their special which was Jerk Chicken and that was very good as well. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I wish the decor match the more upscale food and beer they serve.

New York City, New York
“Small Gem in Peekskill”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I read mixed reviews about this restaurant but decided I should visit. I had the smoked brisket chili as an appetizer and it was good and spicy. My guest had the cheese plate which he enjoyed. I had the goat cheese en croute and it was delicious! A yummy mesclun salad was underneath the goat cheese en croute. My guest loved his hangar steak. It was cooked to perfection (medium rare) and scrumptious roasted vegetables accompanied the steak. We ordered the maple bacon ice cream. It was good nothing special. The restaurant is noisy and dark. The gentleman waiter was just ok...... They had an extensive beer menu and a good wine menu too. I'm definitely going to go back!

westchester, ny
“Great Local Bar”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I'm not much of a beer drinker but this place has lots of selections and the staff are always helpful with suggestions and recommendations. And the food is great.

Visited February 2012