“Wonderful stay at the Pearl River Hilton”
Review of Hilton Pearl River

Hilton Pearl River
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pearl River
Virginia Beach
“Wonderful stay at the Pearl River Hilton”
Reviewed October 6, 2006

My husband and I travel to the NY area often, but had never stayed at the Pearl River Hilton. We hadn't made hotel reservations in advance on this particular adventure, which is out of character for me, as I am very particular about where I stay. We decided to try the Pearl River Hilton, site unseen. What a wonderful surprise to drive up to this beautiful hotel in such a lovely setting. We were so encouraged, and hoped the beauty of the outside would be matched on the inside. We were not disappointed! The hotel is lovely, inside and out. The lobby is elegant, but not intimidating, and the rooms are furnished with quality furniture and fabrics, giving the feel of luxury.

And, to make our experience even better, we had excellent service from the moment we walked in the lobby. The receptionist was professional, friendly and knowledgable about the area.

We had an excellent stay at the Pearl River Hilton. We are excited about "our great find" and look forward to our next stay.

• Liked — furnishings, service
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank MLDM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Portland OR
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I stayed at this hotel because I didn’t want to stay at the Orangeburg Holiday Inn ever again. The travel agent thought it would be more “upscale.” And it was to some degree but it is not “all that.” It looks very Swiss chalet on the outside but is really average business hotel on the inside. The food is so-so, the location is so-so, and the front desk staff had about as much personality as a potato. Really it is an average hotel in an area with a bunch of average and below average hotels. Still looking for a good business hotel in the area.

• Liked — It looks good on the outside
  • Disliked — Unfriendly front desk staff
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank alcbkr
westminster
Reviewed June 10, 2006

When we checked in, the desk clerk never welcomed us or looked up from his computer. He took an inordinate amount of time to check us in and was totally unfriendly. The Executive King room was spacious and looked out on the lovely back side of the property . The room, however was quite spartan and there was an accumulation of dust alongside the hard as a rock sofa. We were going to have a cocktail in the lobby bar, but it was deadly as was the hotel in general. On our second night, we got into bed and found that housekeeping had put a small sheet on the bed sideways and the bootom third of the mattress was uncovered. We got up at 11PM and tried to remake the bed. We requested stationery and it took charades to make the housekeeper understand because she didn't seem to speak English. We have Diamond VIP status with Hilton Honors and always receive a free newspaper as one of the frequent guest perks. When my husband asked someone who said he was a manager why he didn't receive a daily nespaper he was told that we didn't get one because we were Hilton Honors members. ABSURD! On the second morning of our three night stay, someone elses bill with all of their information was put under our door, We gave it to the front desk clerk, but neither an apology or a thank you was offered.
This hotel seems to be more interested in weddings and catered events than the hotel guests. It is a shame because it is a lovely location in the Hudson River Valley, but we have added it to our "Do Not Return List".

new jersey
Reviewed April 24, 2006

This hotel is simply beautiful! I can see how many people feel as if the service is not the best, especially from a Hilton, but this is upstate New York and things can be a bit backwards! This hotel is a great place to stay if you are going inbetween Bear Mt NY or the Hudson Valley and NYC. Other than that, its kind of out of the way from most other places. This hotel has a beautiful lobby and room for weddings. The pool is large and noone is ever in it, so if you do need a swim its a nice and quiet place to go. The best part of my stay was the beds.. they are so comfortable! It really is a nice and quiet hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank Sweetestsin129
Reviewed February 18, 2006

I stayed here one night because I was attending a meeting in the hotel. Because it was the off-season I guess, there weren't many people staying at the hotel and so I was upgraded to an "executive king," which meant a king-sized bed and a little sitting area plus a desk. The room looked fine, a little nicer than a Holiday Inn, and was quite big—about 30x15 feet—with a bathroom that was comparatively small. The room was clean and had a pleasant view of a neighboring golf course. When I got to the room around noon, the heater was rattling loudly, so I called down and asked for them to take care of it while I grabbed lunch at the hotel restaurant. The restaurant was fine and the people there were quite nice. Back in the room, the heater was not fixed, so I called again at 3:00 and was told by the man at the front desk that he had just started for the day and would look into it. I set up wi-fi, which they offer for $5 a day, and tried to get some work done, but the signal kept dropping. I finally found a spot over near the front door where I could set a chair and get a weak signal, but it was rarely up to two bars and often zero bars. We went back to the restaurant for dinner and asked at the front desk at 7:00 for them to please fix the heater in our room. They said they would take care of it while we were at dinner, but it didn't happen. The rattling went on all night, which led to a pretty poor night's sleep. When I went to check out, I figured I would mention to them that I was dissatisfied and that they should fix the rattle before they put another guest in the room. But the person checking me out never asked if I had enjoyed my stay or if everything was all right. I had to initiate the conversation and he responded by looking at me with a stare. He was the fourth person I had told, and I doubt he said a word about it to anyone else. To me, this hotel suffers from simple failure of management and there's no reason for you to stay here. Until they get new managers in to fix the staff issues at the most basic level, I can't recommend this hotel. I'm sure there are other places nearby that would appreciate your business.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank Thad
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed February 12, 2006

Just returned from two weeks at this hotel. I have to honestly say that this is one of the worst in the Hilton chain.

The outside of the hotel is very nice and elegant. This is where the niceness and elegance end.

I arrived at the hotel and there was no porter or luggage carrier around. So basically plan on moving your luggage up to your room on your own. My first interaction with the front desk staff was pretty bad. I was greeting by an entire team of dreary depressed front desk agents who seemed to be unhappy to be there. There was no "Welcome" or any other chat that would be considered friendly. It was almost as if I was bothering them being there. The entire conversation consisted of them looking at their monitors with their head down and not looking up until it was time to give me my key.

Given there was no porter or luggage carrier, I then chugged my luggage up to my room.

The room was nice and spacious. The two chocolates on the bed was a nice touch. The toilet made a low hissing sound the ENTIRE time I was there. Since I had already unpacked, I just decided to just close the bathroom door to avoid the noise.

The next evening I went downstairs to the in-hotel bar, this was an adventure as there was no bartender to be found. Several other guests were waiting in excess of 5 minutes before someone showed up. The bartender seemed to pop in and out when he "felt" someone was wanting something to drink. I did initially feel that this was a one time issue, except I spent several nights in the lobby area and discovered that this was pretty much the normal drink process.

The evening room service was great and they really go out of their way to give you what you want. I requested a couple of things that were not on the menu and they were able to take care of me. The breakfast room service was interesting. I filled out the breakfast room service request card that you hang on your door the night before with the time you want it delivered. I chose the 7:30am to 8:00am time slot. The next morning I jumped in the shower at 7:00am and figured I had 30 minutes until the delivery. At 7:15am I hear a knock on my door, the knock then turns into several harder knocks. I jump out of the shower to discover that my 7:30am room service decided to show up 15 minutes early and was now waiting on me. I was not happy.

It was almost the end of my two weeks and I had another manager there to replace me and he needed a place to stay locally. I went to the front desk and yes, again, same dreary staff with the same attitude. I was treated as just another pesky guest with a problem. I asked to book and pay for a room for this replacement manager for 1 1/2 weeks. I was told that this was not possible and that all I could do was book it. Another staff member jumped in and told her that it was indeed possible and proceeded to charge my credit card. Again, I truly felt as if I was a bother and was absorbing time from their normal duties.

On checkout I think I was "almost" expecting a "Goodbye and Thank you for staying with us", of course this did not happen. I was given my final bill ($2,500) and sent on my way. I guess I expected too much.

Overall, nice looking hotel, too bad the staff ruined what could have been a very nice stay.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
#1 of 3 in Nyack
Park Ridge Marriott
Park Ridge Marriott
#1 of 1 in Park Ridge

Been to Hilton Pearl River? Share your experiences!