“A Great Stay”
Review of Hilton Pearl River

Hilton Pearl River
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pearl River
Reviewed February 21, 2010

My family (consisting of my husband and two daughters ages 8 and 5) recently spent two nights at this hotel. We travel a lot for both business and pleasure both abroad and in the US. We were visiting this hotel because we live locally and were having our wood floors done. We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. It was extremely comfortable, spotless, and accommodating. I consider myself a very picky and particular traveler. The hotel assigned us a room as requested, quiet on an upper floor away from an elevator. I honestly had two of the best nights sleep I have ever experienced in a hotel. It was extremely quiet, bedding was very comfortable and room was in great shape. We had room 414 on the fourth floor. We used the pool facilities and they were extremely clean, a lifeguard was on duty and the pool furniture was very comfortable so I could read the newspaper. When my daughter was in the whirpool we couldn't figure out how to work the bubble jets, so we just figured she would stay in the warm water. About 5 minutes later, a passing staff member came over on his own accord and told my daughter "why don't you use the bubbles?" and proceeded to tell us how to turn it on. I also requested a cot and extra towels in our hotel room at the front desk upon check in. The items were at the room within five minutes of getting into the room. I have to say I was impressed! The only negative I could give this hotel is the bathroom was a bit on the small side, however, it was perfectly adequate and updated. Also, we ate one night at the hotel and staff was very good and food was good, but if you are there would recommend you venture out to Pearl River main street and visit either Louie's On The Avenue or The Porter House in Montvale - both have consistently good food. We would definitely consider this hotel again and would recommend it to family visiting us in Bergen County!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 15, 2010

We had our wedding at this hotel in December '09 and it was absolutely beautiful. Philip was so helpful and accommodating from the beginning of our planning, and Barbara the maitre'd was so helpful too. Our guests are still raving about the service from the staff at our reception and the wonderful food, and it was important to us that everyone really enjoy the food. My bridesmaids and I all stayed in rooms at the hotel the night before because of our early morning the next day and everyone liked their room. The bridal suite is beautiful and spacious, and as they always are at the Hilton the bed was so comfortable. We had so much room for the hair stylists and makeup artist in the bridal suite that morning which was convenient, and the hotel sent up a nice breakfast for us. We are so happy, the hotel and wedding were everything we dreamed of, and I couldn't be happier with the comments our guests have given us. Thanks to all the Hilton staff!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrsboofy
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I stayed at this hotel while attending a dance at the US Military Academy.
Although this hotel is very beautiful, it does not make up for the ridiculous service I recieved from its staff. After realizing I left my vest in my room hours after I had checked out and flew back to Chicago I called the Hilton Pearl River and I told them that I had left it in my room, and even WHERE I left it. The guy on the phone only took my name and number and said he'd call if anyone had found it. So i waited a few days and had not heard anything so I called them back. This time I was transferred to the " Lost and Found" only to be stuck having to leave a message on the answering machine ( and that was in the middle of the day ).. ... so I continued to call atleast every other day that week until I finally asked for a manager to speak to . It was a female manager, and she seemed very uncomfortable and clueless as to what to do with me besides transfer me to the lost and found, AGAIN. So I called her back after leaving yet another message with the lost and found, and told her that i KNOW my vest was found because room service was cleaning the room next door to mine when I checked out and the first time i called was 11 hours later. I told her that my vest is either in the lost and found, or someone from their hotels room service staff decided to steal it because it fit them, and if thats the case, then she's obviously turning a blind eye to the situation. Finally I told her that if someone from their staff did take it unrightfully, then they need to compensate me for it because thats just ridiculous, especially if they have the Lost and Found service to begin with.. after I mentioned that I was transferred to the Lost and Found's answering machine, once again, without the lady manager even doing [--] about returning my vest to me or compensating me for their room service staff's sticky fingers....
All in all, because of this experience, this hotel is definitely not worth staying at ever again. Whats the point of having a "lost and Found" if you're going to turn your back while your staff steals things left in the rooms.... HORRIBLE..... and for the price that we payed for our room, I was expecting better service than that.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
HiltonPearlRiver, General Manager at Hilton Pearl River, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2010

We have thoroughly searched for this lost item without any luck. In this case, it seems as if we did not respond to the guest as expediently as we should have with the results of our investigation and search. Since then, we have been in touch with this guest numerous times to assure them that their missing item has not yet been located.

I am proud of the honesty of our staff, particularly our housekeeping attendants. Recently, one of our housekeepers was given a reward for returning a diamond ring of extreme monetary and emotional value that was successfully returned to a guest who had lost it. Stories of honesty and exceptional guest service like this are not uncommon in our hotel.

Reviewed February 2, 2010

I am a frequent traveler to Rockland County. My visits are work-related and require week-long overnite accomodations. I am always looking for a good value and a clean, safe
place to stay. I have tried other hotels, but the Pearl River Hilton is at the TOP of my list!

My biggest issue with this hotel -- in the past -- was the staff. But, I am delighted to report that there has been a steady improvement (over the past year) in their friendliness and service. They now welcome me back each time, and everyone calls me by my name. They bend over backwards (figuratively speaking) to make sure that my requests are met. I could not ask to be treated any better.

I spent more than sixty nights there last year. Each visit was better than the last. I am now in the middle of my second week there for 2010. The staff continues to spoil me with VIP treatment. Additionally, their downstairs renovations are nearing completion. The fitness center is much improved, and I am really looking forward to using the new sauna.

When you have to travel so often for business, it really helps to have such a great place to go to when the work days are done.

1  Thank BamaBelle99
Reviewed January 16, 2010

I had been looking forward to staying here, but I was very disappointed. The walls were too thin and it was incredibly difficult to fall asleep. Also, the pillows and mattress were really poor quality and the bathrooms are very outdated. I also was disappointed for a business traveller, they charge for wifi, and the overpriced $20/person breakfast. If you get the golf course view, which the guy checking me in was rude about giving to me even though I had requested it beforehand, the hotel is not near anything else so I think a bed and breakfast would be much better. There are a few in the area I've heard of in Nyack and Piermont that I would rather stay at next time in this area.

I've stayed in many Hilton hotels around the world and this is definitely not up to the Hilton reputation. The website photos are misleading, especially once you get to your real hotel room.

2  Thank traveller999991
HiltonPearlRiver, General Manager at Hilton Pearl River, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2010

I have made efforts to contact this guest by sending a message via Tripadvisor but unfortunately have not gotten a response. I will try to address their concerns point by point.

Noise from a room next door is likely a result of loud neighbors rather than thin walls. Certainly, if neighboring rooms are unreasonably loud, this doesn't make for a good night's sleep.

Our down-filled pillows, high thread count sheets, and Serta mattresses are all components of the Hilton Serenity Bed package, which is a required brand standard in all Hilton Hotels. Generally our bedding gets rave reviews.

Our bathrooms were fully and beautifully renovated in mid-2008 so we are surprised by this comment.

WiFi is complimentary to all travellers in our Corporate Negotiated Rate Program. Our charge of $5.00/night for WiFi is much less than neighboring full-service properties that charge $11.99 and $12.95.

The Hilton Breakfast is priced at $15 and is a full buffet featuring omlettes and eggs cooked to order. Numerous other breakfast options exist at lower prices.

Most travellers prefer our surroundings, bordering a golf course while just 3 minutes from "downtown" Pearl River and 20 minutes from Manhattan.

There is no excuse for rude service and I would like to hear back from this guest to be able to address that particular issue immediately. We have succeeded in this very difficult market for over 20 years because of our exceptional service.

Reviewed January 12, 2010

We planned our daughter's wedding at the beautiful Pearl River Hilton- everything from the first "Hello" by Banquet Manager Gerry Burns to our check-out the morning after the beautiful wedding was professional, flawless and impeccably perfect!! Gerry and her staff made a long day (we got to the hotel by 9am and left 11am the following morning) a wonderful experience- one of the best days of our lives.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MOTBNewCityNewYork
Reviewed January 7, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for a conference and had the worst experience ever. I've stayed in numerous Hiltons before and usually had great service. However, in this place the staff is incredibly rude, we had stains on our pillowcases and when we called housekeeping, they acted as though they didn't know what we were complaining about. We asked if it'd be possible to get new pillows, and it took them 30 minutes! Finally my husband went downstairs, where the woman was just about to bring them up (or maybe she wasn't, since she was still down there). The room smelled like cigarette smoke, and when I went to take a shower, saw several cockroaches. What a nightmare. We asked to switch, but were told the hotel was fully booked (though it didn't look like there were that many guests). When we booked our room, the concierge said breakfast was included. Then when we got there we found out it was an extra $20 per person, for a pretty crappy breakfast.

The only reason this hotel is in business is because there's no other ones in the area. The golf course next door is pretty, but I would never stay here again. The staff and management clearly know they're the only game in town, and treat you that way.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
HiltonPearlRiver, General Manager at Hilton Pearl River, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2010

For issues as unacceptable as this, we are all very surprised that we have no record of this situation which supposedly took place in January 2010. As of today, 8 January 2010, we have not hosted any conferences this January nor have we received any complaints such as this.

Needless to say, it is discouraging to read a review like this when you take pride in your hotel and the service you provide. Obviously, the details as relayed by this guest make for an unacceptable stay. I would invite this guest to get in touch with me directly to discuss any issues experienced.

Our housekeeping department is exceptional and one of the reasons why we have been able to succeed in this very competitive hotel market for over 20 years.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pearl River
#1 of 1 in Woodcliff Lake
Castle Hotel & Spa
Castle Hotel & Spa
#6 of 7 in Tarrytown

Been to Hilton Pearl River? Share your experiences!