“Pearl River Hilton - Great staff, great property, wouldn't stay any place else!”
Review of Hilton Pearl River

Hilton Pearl River
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pearl River
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I am a frequent traveler to Rockland County. My visits are work-related and require week-long overnite accomodations. I am always looking for a good value and a clean, safe
place to stay. I have tried other hotels, but the Pearl River Hilton is at the TOP of my list!

My biggest issue with this hotel -- in the past -- was the staff. But, I am delighted to report that there has been a steady improvement (over the past year) in their friendliness and service. They now welcome me back each time, and everyone calls me by my name. They bend over backwards (figuratively speaking) to make sure that my requests are met. I could not ask to be treated any better.

I spent more than sixty nights there last year. Each visit was better than the last. I am now in the middle of my second week there for 2010. The staff continues to spoil me with VIP treatment. Additionally, their downstairs renovations are nearing completion. The fitness center is much improved, and I am really looking forward to using the new sauna.

When you have to travel so often for business, it really helps to have such a great place to go to when the work days are done.

1  Thank BamaBelle99

Reviewed January 16, 2010

I had been looking forward to staying here, but I was very disappointed. The walls were too thin and it was incredibly difficult to fall asleep. Also, the pillows and mattress were really poor quality and the bathrooms are very outdated. I also was disappointed for a business traveller, they charge for wifi, and the overpriced $20/person breakfast. If you get the golf course view, which the guy checking me in was rude about giving to me even though I had requested it beforehand, the hotel is not near anything else so I think a bed and breakfast would be much better. There are a few in the area I've heard of in Nyack and Piermont that I would rather stay at next time in this area.

I've stayed in many Hilton hotels around the world and this is definitely not up to the Hilton reputation. The website photos are misleading, especially once you get to your real hotel room.

2  Thank traveller999991
HiltonPearlRiver, General Manager at Hilton Pearl River, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2010

I have made efforts to contact this guest by sending a message via Tripadvisor but unfortunately have not gotten a response. I will try to address their concerns point by point.

Noise from a room next door is likely a result of loud neighbors rather than thin walls. Certainly, if neighboring rooms are unreasonably loud, this doesn't make for a good night's sleep.

Our down-filled pillows, high thread count sheets, and Serta mattresses are all components of the Hilton Serenity Bed package, which is a required brand standard in all Hilton Hotels. Generally our bedding gets rave reviews.

Our bathrooms were fully and beautifully renovated in mid-2008 so we are surprised by this comment.

WiFi is complimentary to all travellers in our Corporate Negotiated Rate Program. Our charge of $5.00/night for WiFi is much less than neighboring full-service properties that charge $11.99 and $12.95.

The Hilton Breakfast is priced at $15 and is a full buffet featuring omlettes and eggs cooked to order. Numerous other breakfast options exist at lower prices.

Most travellers prefer our surroundings, bordering a golf course while just 3 minutes from "downtown" Pearl River and 20 minutes from Manhattan.

There is no excuse for rude service and I would like to hear back from this guest to be able to address that particular issue immediately. We have succeeded in this very difficult market for over 20 years because of our exceptional service.

Reviewed January 12, 2010

We planned our daughter's wedding at the beautiful Pearl River Hilton- everything from the first "Hello" by Banquet Manager Gerry Burns to our check-out the morning after the beautiful wedding was professional, flawless and impeccably perfect!! Gerry and her staff made a long day (we got to the hotel by 9am and left 11am the following morning) a wonderful experience- one of the best days of our lives.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MOTBNewCityNewYork
Reviewed January 7, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for a conference and had the worst experience ever. I've stayed in numerous Hiltons before and usually had great service. However, in this place the staff is incredibly rude, we had stains on our pillowcases and when we called housekeeping, they acted as though they didn't know what we were complaining about. We asked if it'd be possible to get new pillows, and it took them 30 minutes! Finally my husband went downstairs, where the woman was just about to bring them up (or maybe she wasn't, since she was still down there). The room smelled like cigarette smoke, and when I went to take a shower, saw several cockroaches. What a nightmare. We asked to switch, but were told the hotel was fully booked (though it didn't look like there were that many guests). When we booked our room, the concierge said breakfast was included. Then when we got there we found out it was an extra $20 per person, for a pretty crappy breakfast.

The only reason this hotel is in business is because there's no other ones in the area. The golf course next door is pretty, but I would never stay here again. The staff and management clearly know they're the only game in town, and treat you that way.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
HiltonPearlRiver, General Manager at Hilton Pearl River, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2010

For issues as unacceptable as this, we are all very surprised that we have no record of this situation which supposedly took place in January 2010. As of today, 8 January 2010, we have not hosted any conferences this January nor have we received any complaints such as this.

Needless to say, it is discouraging to read a review like this when you take pride in your hotel and the service you provide. Obviously, the details as relayed by this guest make for an unacceptable stay. I would invite this guest to get in touch with me directly to discuss any issues experienced.

Our housekeeping department is exceptional and one of the reasons why we have been able to succeed in this very competitive hotel market for over 20 years.

Reviewed December 31, 2009

Overall, the hotel is very nice. According to the Hilton website, the pool was going to be completed in early December so my kids were excited to swim during winter. However, upon arrival, the pool was empty with ladders in it. Hilton probably should have updated their website to indicate the delay. Perhaps we'll swim next time.

We ate breakfast twice and while there were clearly scheduling issues due to the renovation (the restaurant was set up in one of the function rooms). That said, Anne was wonderful as were the other staff members. For the life of me I can't recall the other woman's name but she was also fantastic. She suggested some museums for our children to visit and even printed out directions. I sure do wish I could recall her name. Anyway, I can not say enough about how great they were to my family. They did a great job with the obvious challenge of carting food down a hall vs. having a kitchen to walk out of into the restaurant.

The rooms were well equipped (although the iron was broken, but not a big deal). My kids used the game system and I was quite surprised when I got the bill of $30.00 on my bill. I'm laughing because I think my kids knew and kept adding time onto the initial purchase. Just a note of caution if you travel with kids who like to play video games. The room was spotless, bedding pristine, and the beds were so comfortable.

Front desk personnel was efficient, professional, and very polite. No problems with check in or check out. Parking was plentiful, free, and the hotel was in a nice area (office park area). The Palisades Mall is a 10 minute ride from the hotel and was enormous with plenty of restaurant options and any store you could imagine.

We will definately be coming back to the Hilton Pearl River!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank clamchowda
Reviewed November 11, 2009

From the moment we arrived our stay was FABULOUS. We had a magnificent huge, upgraded room to start things off. Everyone at the front desk could not have been more helpful. The ballroom and reception area were gorgeous for the wedding and everything looked perfect. Le Jardin for brunch the next day was beautiful too. The fall foliage was lovely and despite the pool and fitness center being closed for renovations the place was great - the restaurant is also relocated but the people were all very accomodating. Gerry Burns was the best wedding coordinator one could ever dream of - the tasting was phenomenal and my son and daughter in law who planned the wedding loved working with Gerry. OUr friends are still calling 12 days later to rave about the food and the quantity as well as the quality - everything was truly spectacular. I am sure our family will be back for more weddings and family events.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank njfeldman
Reviewed October 16, 2009

I see nothing special about this hotel save its beautiful exterior. It may depend on what your priorities are, but I was not satisfied.

Location is pretty, but if you are traveling to see the area, this hotel is not that close to anything. You can drive into nearby towns to eat, but, unless you know the area, this will be difficult (the hotel does not have much in the way of local information). As others have mentioned, though the pictures show lovely grounds, there is really not much that is accessible to guests.

We were there for a wedding, as were many others, and we did not receive the room type we reserved. We reserved a king, non-smoking (many months in advance) and received a double room that smelled like smoke.

Room's decor was nice, though a bit worn-looking. Not much in the way of closet space. Also, as others have said, we heard a great deal of hotel noise from other rooms and from the hallway. On a wedding weekend when lots of guests are up late, this makes it difficult to have a quiet night.

Also, the room's bathroom was newly remodeled, but had no towel racks or hooks. The hotel said it was 'green' and that we could reuse towels, but we had nowhere to hang them between showers. Also, no bathtub, just a shower.

I was NOT impressed with the hotel's dining room. Breakfast was a buffet (starting at $15 for the 'cold' buffet of cereal and breads) that did not contain enough food for me to feel it was worth the money, even with the omelet bar. The lunch that I had (chicken pot pie) seemed to have been made with mixed frozen vegetables, dry chicken, and a weak broth - DEFINITELY not worth what I paid. Pasta dish was ok.

However, the food at the wedding we attended was quite good and presented well.

Given that the hotel markets itself to weddings and to romance, I was disappointed that there was no spa.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Park Ridge Marriott
Park Ridge Marriott
#1 of 1 in Park Ridge
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown

Been to Hilton Pearl River? Share your experiences!