Canaltown Bed and Breakfast
Hampton.com
$69
$67
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 31, 2009

The host and hostess were incredibly accommodating and nice, Barbara even hand made a hot pad to use in our kitchen at home. She said she wanted to get in touch with the historical practices of the area so she bought a tradition loom on which to practice weaving. I loved it and was touched by her sincere kindness.

This was not a great place to go with kids as the room we stayed in was very tiny and had many, many nic-nacks and such for our 18 month old to destroy. We were pleasantly surprised to find an extra bed in our room which came in handy, we didn't ask for a room with two beds but we were glad to have it for our little family. The house didn't seem to have anywhere to go besides our room, like a common area or something, so what little time we were there during the day was spent cramped in the room. There is a park directly across the street at the school which you can go to in the evening, which was great.

The breakfast was a bit disappointing, we had pancakes the first morning which were undercooked such that liquid came out of them when we cut into them. The hostess wasn't eating with us so I don't think she knew and we declined to tell her out of courtesy but I'm certain she would have been happy to correct the mistake had we asked. The next morning was a recipe that included cake mix which was too sweet for my wife but I enjoyed it. It was a little on the soft side too.

The accommodations are very old as they have been running the B&B for many years. The carpets and wall paper are from the seventies with green shag and all. I haven't stayed in many B&B's so I can't say what's normal or not but it was a bit unexpected.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, just keep your expectations within reason and you'll be fine.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Joshu
Reviewed July 15, 2007

The Canaltown B&B was a comfortable, hospitable place for my 5 days in Palmyra. One of a handful of lodgings in town, it's a 19th century home originally built as a Sunday School by the local Episcopal church. It is on SR 21 (Main St.) a few steps from the junction of SR 31, where that church and three others form the only intersection in the U.S. with a church on all four corners. The Erie Canal is a short walk away, and I spent a lot of time on the warm afternoons enjoying the parks and marinas on the Palmyra and nearby Macedon shore.

The hosts, Bob and Barbara, couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Even while I was making pre-trip arrangements with them by phone, they were giving me travel tips about the area, and they had the visitor bureau send me a packet of local info. Like many people who make Palmyra their destination, I was there to visit historic and religious sites of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Bob and Barbara understood my priority. They also had information about other places of interest--where all the museums were, where to see a lock on the Erie Canal and maybe watch it in operation, or what to do along nearby Lake Ontario.

Although the Church sites are not within walking distance, much of the rest of Palmyra is. I spent a lot of time walking around looking at the architecture and enjoying the museums and local shops. As a Californian, I am not used to seeing whole streets of buildings that were around when the British burned the White House, so the whole area (Palmyra, Manchester, Phelps, Waterloo, Seneca Falls, etc.) was an architectural feast.

I had a comfortable room, if a bit "fussy" (but very cute--inhabited by many, many rabbits!), looking out at the yard, the next-door 19th century house, and the 19th century school across the street.

Another party staying there was a small family of three adults. I did not see the entire house, but from what the hosts said, it seemed that groups of varying sizes could be accommodated, and a bathroom would be shared by no more than two parties.

Since I was there before the Hill Cumorah Pageant, the house was not full. So it was quiet and not very busy. I enjoyed leisurely breakfasts in the mornings, with creations like strawberry deep-dish French toast and cheese strata with eggs and sausage. The conversations with Barbara and Bob were part of what made the breakfasts so enjoyable. I would definitely send my friends to them!

2  Thank Frisco_Roadrunner