“Palenville's best kept secret!”

Fernwood Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Palenville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
New York City, New York
“Palenville's best kept secret!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

From the wonderful food to the friendly family service, you will have a great experience. The homemade suffed clams are the best (and our favorite). The generouse size portions will satsify everyone, we always leave with leftovers and plenty of money still in our pocket. We cannot say enough good things about the Fernwood...if you haven't tried it, your missing out!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank momdadplus3

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Catskill Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Elegant and comfortable, cozy and friendly. Such a delightful backdrop to enjoy a scrumptious meal. We have eaten here a number of time over the years and have never been disappointed. Favorites are the Scungilli Diavlo and Stuffed mushrooms for starters. We celebrate with their Queen Cut, and our appetites are deliciously satiated with the lamb or chicken choices. The Bistro is also a great place to hang out with various entertainers joining them on weekends. I recommend the espresso martini. A unique place with tasty food.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Lliam G
saugerties ny
“Fine dinning the way it should be..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

From location to service and food this place is a must have and must visit often. Weather your on a date or with the family you just cannot go wrong. Its a given from all the reviews and my own experience the ceasar salad is a winner by far the very best you will find from The American hotel in Sag Harbor to culinary in Hyde Park...The specials are always outstanding and robust. Iv' had the lobster on there lobster bake night and it was fantastic as well.As a rule I never have my lobster stuffed,so I tried it here the crab stuffing was the best I ever had as well. For apps I have had the little necks on the half shell and they were tiny and fresh as can be as should be. Cocktail sauce home made and amazing. Been there many times I have tried many of there specials weather it be the pork chops or the chicken dishes I have never left there hungry or dissatisfied. Then the deserts wow again I say wow Jenny the chef and one of the owners does an amazing job there too. I had the pecan pie which is my fav so she had huge competition well guess what she won again. Then comes the bill, lol who loves the bill...lol I have always found out the food always taste better when someone else fits the bill...I am proud to pay the bill here anytime.. bring the fam be seated in a wonderful antique filled dinning room and be pampered like your grand mother did for you and only she could do for you untill now...Fernwood all the way for this foodie, .

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank foodismythingalways
New York
“Like stepping back in time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We eat here fairly often and really enjoy the atmosphere. Driving to the restaurant as well as entering it, there is a feeling of being back in the 1950s or thereabouts and I mean this in a very positive way. The food is very good, especially the caesar salad and the shrimp scampi. They also have special shore nights in the summer with VERY reasonably priced lobster dinners. Mary and her family have a nice family-run business.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank NYSbeachgirl
New Paltz, New York
“An Utter Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Before I start this review I want to say that I represent a party of three who are very down to earth diners and who have a very good pulse on what constitutes good Italian food.

We traveled to the Fernwood Restaurant specifically based upon the recommendations found at this web site and I am sorry to say this dining experience was an utter disappointment. The owner who doubled as waiter tried his best to be congenial and welcoming but this was no solace for what followed.

Not to be facetious I will get the few positives out of the way. The water, the Italian bread and butter were very good. That said, I will break down where it all went bad.

We got an appetizer of 'fresh mozarella, avocado and pesto with balsamic vinegar. There were two slices of not the freshest mozarella cheese with four thin slices of avocado with a dollop of pesto. The balsamic vinegar was thickened with a heavy dose of sugar.

My main entree was eggplant parmagiana with angel hair pasta. While the eggplant tested nice the tomato sauce could very well come out of a can..hardly season and way 'too tomatoey'. The pasta was way overcooked and in hindsight I should have asked for it to be served al dente. Overall, not nearly what I expected out of this meal.

Fernwood's signature entree, veal scampi, is touted as a "knockout". My wife and mother-in-law both ordered it and my wife's reaction was that it fell way short of expectations. My mother in law suffering from early onset dementia would say a can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti was good so I can not use her feedback.

The entrees were supposed to include a vegetable but none came. When I brought this to the owner's attention he came out with one small plate of unseasoned cauliflower, broccoli and baby carrots for the three of us.

I understand Fernwood is an old building with a homey atmosphere but truth be told the color combinations in the main dining room made for a depressing environment. The same can be said for the adjoining bar/bistro area.

So sadly, this is a one and done dining adventure for us. I don't think that the cook was "off" or that it was an aberration. Everything that came out of the kitchen seemed A-OK with the owner/waiter, so he has to take responsibility for our dissatisfaction.

Bottom line, I DO NOT RECOMMEND this restaurant. Far off the beaten path, it was not worth the extra traveling to get there. And finally, for the life of me, I would really like to know how these other reviewers gave such high ratings...makes me highly suspicious that they had a vested interest in their rave reviews.

• Visited August 2012