Clark House Bed and Breakfast
$130
$65
Travelocity
  • Pool
Catskill Motor Court(Catskill)(Great Value!)
$70
B&B Lounge of Catskill(Catskill)(Great Value!)
$70
Travelocity
Winter Clove Inn(Round Top)
$240
$144
ComfortInn
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsasian roomexcellent hostsshort driveyogurthiking trailshudson valleyliving areaan understatementevery morningair conditionerbreakfast was deliciousmy boyfriendchristinehiketownscatskillweekend
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Wanted to explore the Catskills, went online and after checking out a ton of B&B's, the Clark House, Palenville web site was it.
It's always a little bit odd to go to the unknown of someone's 'home' until the doors opened at the Clark House and here it was- WOW! I haven't seen so much talent, warmth and charm except for that rare European score, in a very long time. The Clark's house was so wonderful! Every room was interesting (as were they) and the appointments were just so amazing. It took me a while to just get out of the house, I wanted to see it all. I had to have the American room as I wanted that sense of yesteryear (I came to relax) and to see the fields and mountain that is right out the window that beckoned me each morning for my daily hike and explorations. My friend took the New Orleans room as she loves the graceful romanticism of that room. We had a week of the most delicious breakfasts and daily treats ....(the web doesn't tell you that the owners owned a restaurant in Europe and Mike was a chef and Christine was a designer) which fortified us for our day-long hikes and swims with the best trails in the whole Woodstock, Saugerties area starting right on their property. We couldn't get over how easy it was to do anything and everything from antiqueing to wilderness exploring in this wonderfully situated B&B. Michael and Christine couldn't have made us feel more welcome, comfortable and happy to be there and guided us often to things that the guide books weren't much help with. I could go on and on but even though I've lived in NYC most of my life, this was such a wonderful discovery. I have discovered Palenville (who knew?) but best was to discover the Clark House B&B. I'll be back!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 10, 2006

I had the most wonderful stay at The Clark House. Both Christine and Michael created an atmosphere of relaxation, fun and pleasure for myself and two girlfriends! We loved the Lodge room where we were able to enjoy a big jacuzzi tub, wood burning fires each evening and great access to the deck and hot tub. We all found the house so beautiful and interresting and felt so at home with our hosts. The Clarks sent us to Woodstock for dinner at The Red Onion which we loved and the next night we walked to the country club down the street and had a great meal. That being said the meals we ate at the house were outstanding! We felt like they didn't miss a detail.
We had our reservation all set when we read a less than complimentary review about the inn, and I am so glad we went anyway. My girlfriends and I frequent B and B's, and we Iwill plan a weekend there every season. There is so much to see and do in the Catskills and this is a great home base.

• Stayed: June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
new york
Reviewed June 5, 2006

My wife and I spent a wonderful week end at The Clark house our room ( The French Quarter) was beautiful large ,bright and spotless we soaked away our recommended hike by Mike in our antique claw foot tub, the house was decorated in different styles all perfect to the last detail by Christine the other half of the Clarks.
Our breakfasts were amazing, fresh and filling, we certanlly felt that we had found a "home away from home in the Catskills"

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

I read the prior reviews on this bed and breakfast, which I stayed at a weekend in May 2006 with my girlfriend. The prior reviewers headline their reviews as follows "The Ritz-Carlton of the Catskills," "An Excellent B&B," a "Relaxing Hideaway." I can only say that these reviewers must have very limited travel experience.

Unfortunately, the B&B's website at Catskillsbb and the "candid" photos supposedly put in by a user to this site are deceiving. The photos imply that the house is romantically isolated in the countryside--it is not. It is by the side of the highway (actually a junction between two major routes) and immediately adjacent to other properties. You just don't see them in the photos. Further, the pictures of the rooms of the house does not show that the furniture is old, not antiquey old, just old and cheap.

My problem with the Clark House Bed and Breakfast in Palenville, started the moment I entered the room. I stayed in Room 5 (the American Room). It was small. The bathroom was disgusting (sink dirty, tiles dirty), a toilet that was very small placed awkwardly in the bathroom with limited leg room. Sound carries in the house. The room had no amenities. This means:

No telephone,
No television, and
NO Air Conditioning (OR Fan).

I opened the window to try to get some air in the night, but because it had no screen, a moth flew in.

In the morning, there was breakfast, which was fine. Just beware that the breakfast is served a single table for all the Bed and Breakfast guests. I don't mind that at all, but it's not for everyone.

The main areas of the house -- dining room, etc. are okay, but have nothing of the quaint beauty that the pictures on the B&B's website or this site, imply.

In other words, I can assure you that the highlight of your stay will NOT be this bed and breakfast. Incidentally, there is a jacuzzi out on the deck, which was a lure to me, but I never used it so I cannot comment on whether it is any good.

Finally, the proprietors are great. I had good conversations with both of them. They were very sincere, helpful people; however, there genuine friendliness is simply not enough for me to recommend this place.

I paid about $150 per night for the stay at this bed and breakfast. Possibly, it was worth half that amount--but the fact is that when one goes away (with a girlfriend) you hope to stay at a place that is memorable and as good, if not better, than your own home. This place utterly fails at that.

This is NOT the Ritz-Carlton of the Catskills. I have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, the Breakers and a host of great B&B's that I've reported on for Trip Advisor. You will be sorely disappointed in this B&B if you want anything more than a place to stay (with hospitable proprietors). -- if you have no other place to stay in the Catskills, I would reconsider your trip for different dates or make sure that you do not have ANY expectations about your stay.

Finally, a word about the area. My guest and I had otherwise a great weekend trip to this area of the Hudson Valley in New York State. One day we drove to Hudson, New York to tour the town, then down to Hyde Park to tour the Vanderbilt Manson (great place to go!) and finally to a drive-in movie in Hyde Park (must do, a lot of fun). The second day, we visited Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz as day guests, ate lunch there and hiked the grounds. Overall, this area of the Hudson gets my highest recommendation--just try to stay at a better B&B.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank CJayEE
Management response:Responded June 5, 2006

It was disturbing and most dishearting to see how disappointed one of our guests was when it is apparent that he was expecting a chain - style 5 star hotel accomdation.Particually upsetting to us was the comment on the cleanliness which is a priority this shows his inability to appreciate and discern original 60 year old fixtures,fittings and antiques (flea market and valuable treasures alike) that are coveted for their imperfections.
If one were to read all the other reviews about our bed and breakfast , it becomes clear that we offer something delightfully special and unique that sits so conveniently close to the many wonderful experiences the Catskills has to offer, though we are not on a highway ,route 23a offers our guests convenient access to where ever they want to go all year round.
It appears that it is this gentleman who has "limited" experience of privatly owned country bed and breakfasts, and is unable to enjoy pleasures of the simple charm that is intended to offer, giving our guests a respite from all the modern day technologies which is always avaiable upon request.
We will always look forward to your comments as we strive to be your favorite Caskill getaway.

Reviewed March 12, 2006

My husband and I stayed here March 3rd-5th. We stayed in the Sea Room. The room was lovely, with a gas burning fireplace next to a chaise overlooking the mountain tops, and aprivate bathroom with a shower.Mike, the owner, was a great host! He made a great breakfast also!
We went to Hunter Mtn(15min. drive)for snowtubbing, Saugerties for a nature trail walk up to a lighthouse(beautiful views) and antiquing in the town.
One night we ate at Fernwood (5min. away), which was like a small town restaurant which was great. The other night we ventured out about 20 min. away, to the Red Onion Restaurant. Great food, great drinks and romantic atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2006