“NOT the Ritz of the Catskills”

Clark House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Palenville B&B and Inns
Manhattan, New York
“NOT the Ritz of the Catskills”
Reviewed May 28, 2006

I read the prior reviews on this bed and breakfast, which I stayed at a weekend in May 2006 with my girlfriend. The prior reviewers headline their reviews as follows "The Ritz-Carlton of the Catskills," "An Excellent B&B," a "Relaxing Hideaway." I can only say that these reviewers must have very limited travel experience.

Unfortunately, the B&B's website at Catskillsbb and the "candid" photos supposedly put in by a user to this site are deceiving. The photos imply that the house is romantically isolated in the countryside--it is not. It is by the side of the highway (actually a junction between two major routes) and immediately adjacent to other properties. You just don't see them in the photos. Further, the pictures of the rooms of the house does not show that the furniture is old, not antiquey old, just old and cheap.

My problem with the Clark House Bed and Breakfast in Palenville, started the moment I entered the room. I stayed in Room 5 (the American Room). It was small. The bathroom was disgusting (sink dirty, tiles dirty), a toilet that was very small placed awkwardly in the bathroom with limited leg room. Sound carries in the house. The room had no amenities. This means:

No telephone,
No television, and
NO Air Conditioning (OR Fan).

I opened the window to try to get some air in the night, but because it had no screen, a moth flew in.

In the morning, there was breakfast, which was fine. Just beware that the breakfast is served a single table for all the Bed and Breakfast guests. I don't mind that at all, but it's not for everyone.

The main areas of the house -- dining room, etc. are okay, but have nothing of the quaint beauty that the pictures on the B&B's website or this site, imply.

In other words, I can assure you that the highlight of your stay will NOT be this bed and breakfast. Incidentally, there is a jacuzzi out on the deck, which was a lure to me, but I never used it so I cannot comment on whether it is any good.

Finally, the proprietors are great. I had good conversations with both of them. They were very sincere, helpful people; however, there genuine friendliness is simply not enough for me to recommend this place.

I paid about $150 per night for the stay at this bed and breakfast. Possibly, it was worth half that amount--but the fact is that when one goes away (with a girlfriend) you hope to stay at a place that is memorable and as good, if not better, than your own home. This place utterly fails at that.

This is NOT the Ritz-Carlton of the Catskills. I have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, the Breakers and a host of great B&B's that I've reported on for Trip Advisor. You will be sorely disappointed in this B&B if you want anything more than a place to stay (with hospitable proprietors). -- if you have no other place to stay in the Catskills, I would reconsider your trip for different dates or make sure that you do not have ANY expectations about your stay.

Finally, a word about the area. My guest and I had otherwise a great weekend trip to this area of the Hudson Valley in New York State. One day we drove to Hudson, New York to tour the town, then down to Hyde Park to tour the Vanderbilt Manson (great place to go!) and finally to a drive-in movie in Hyde Park (must do, a lot of fun). The second day, we visited Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz as day guests, ate lunch there and hiked the grounds. Overall, this area of the Hudson gets my highest recommendation--just try to stay at a better B&B.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank CJayEE
, owner at Clark House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 5, 2006
It was disturbing and most dishearting to see how disappointed one of our guests was when it is apparent that he was expecting a chain - style 5 star hotel accomdation.Particually upsetting to us was the comment on the cleanliness which is a priority this shows his inability to appreciate and discern original 60 year old fixtures,fittings and antiques (flea market and valuable treasures alike) that are coveted for their imperfections.
If one were to read all the other reviews about our bed and breakfast , it becomes clear that we offer something delightfully special and unique that sits so conveniently close to the many wonderful experiences the Catskills has to offer, though we are not on a highway ,route 23a offers our guests convenient access to where ever they want to go all year round.
It appears that it is this gentleman who has "limited" experience of privatly owned country bed and breakfasts, and is unable to enjoy pleasures of the simple charm that is intended to offer, giving our guests a respite from all the modern day technologies which is always avaiable upon request.
We will always look forward to your comments as we strive to be your favorite Caskill getaway.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
new york
Reviewed March 12, 2006

My husband and I stayed here March 3rd-5th. We stayed in the Sea Room. The room was lovely, with a gas burning fireplace next to a chaise overlooking the mountain tops, and aprivate bathroom with a shower.Mike, the owner, was a great host! He made a great breakfast also!
We went to Hunter Mtn(15min. drive)for snowtubbing, Saugerties for a nature trail walk up to a lighthouse(beautiful views) and antiquing in the town.
One night we ate at Fernwood (5min. away), which was like a small town restaurant which was great. The other night we ventured out about 20 min. away, to the Red Onion Restaurant. Great food, great drinks and romantic atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank VR91704
New York NY
Reviewed February 20, 2006

Husband and I just got back from a ski trip to Hunter Mountain and stayed in the Sea Room at the Clark B & B. Overall a very nice experience - roaring fireplace, sweet smells all around, decor is adorable in the house. Our room was very nice - and we loved the fireplace. Mike was extremely accommodating and we enjoyed speaking with the other guests. Breakfast was always very good. You are a little limited to dining options without a car, but there are a few within walking distance. We ate at the golf course and really had a nice time speaking to the owners- good food, conversation, etc. We also ate at the Fernwood which looks a bit odd but the food was outstanding. The hotel is a very nice short drive to Hunter. If your destination is Hunter Mountain, there isn't a "truly" ski lodge feel (restaurants, bars etc.) at the base of the mountain, so driving is a necessity no matter where you stay. We would definitely stay at the Clark B & B again - I think it is probably a stunning area in all seasons.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank ciaopescao
New York
Reviewed January 21, 2006

There's lots of choice in the Catskills and its hard from a distance to tell the good from the good websites. We booked Clark at the last minute and stayed in the Sea Room. it was really lovely with great views and a nice gas fireplace to provide flickering romance. Mike is a great host and very helpfull. Clark is only 10-15 min drive from Hunter which is very handy. Its a lovely drive too and after a hard day skiing its nice to get back to the elegant luxury of Clark. Its simple but thats what you want in an Inn of this nature. Breakast was really good - healthy and very sufficient. Coffee tastes great too! Within walking distance is the golf club where you'll find local characters, decent food and a surprisingly good and reasnoble wine list. a three min drive or 15 min walk takes you to the Fern restaurant. Given that its really hidden away, the food and decor here is really really good. Wine list is top notch. Al in all, Clark is a great base for Catskill adventures. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 17, 2005

We stayed here on November 11 & 12, 2005. We were in town for a wedding anniversary party, and the recommended hotel, The Friar Tuck, had pretty dismal reviews on TripAdvisor. I found the Clark House online, and after speaking with Mike, the owner, decided I would give it a try. The Clark house is a small Bed and Breakfast, with 5 rooms. We booked four rooms, one for us, and the other three for other members of our family to spare them the suffering at the Friar Tuck. Driving into the Catskills was terrifying. It seemed that at every turn there was a "motor lodge" or motel. I was pleasantly surprised once we arrived at the Clark House. The rooms have different themes, and we stayed in the lodge room. I did see all of the rooms, and they were all very nice and clean. Our room was the largest of all the rooms; we had a sitting area with a woodstove, and then we had to actually climb a ladder to get to our bed, which was in a small loft area. We also had a nice, basic breakfast at the inn, which was cooked by Mike, the owner. The Catskills is a very rural area, with little to do, and almost nowhere to go. We picked up "dinner" (i.e., junk food) at the gas station on our first night there. I would not recommend the Catskills as a vacation spot, but if you are going there, I would highly recommend the Clark House.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed October 24, 2005

My partner and I spent a wonderful weekend in this B&B, which we enjoyed even though it poured with rain. This B&B has everything we had wanted - a big yet cosy room, a working fireplace, lovely mountain views, friendly and helpful owners, excellent breakfasts, and a great location which is close to lots of hiking, very good restaurants, and not too far from NYC. We'll definitely be back and certainly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 9, 2005

The former Palenville House Bed and Breakfast is now known as the Clark House Bed and Breakfast. It is run by Mike and Christine Clark, a very nice couple. My husband and I stayed there twice this year. Most recently, we spent a night in the lodge room with rustic furnishings. During the afternoon, we relaxed in a hammock under some apple trees within the large property. We then went to Woodstock for dinner, and returned to enjoy the hot tub on the deck. Breakfast was wonderful, with fresh baked goods. We highly recommend the Clark House.

• Stayed October 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palenville
Catskill Mountain Lodge
1805 House B & B
1805 House B & B
#1 of 2 in Claverack
Bavarian Manor Country Inn & Restaurant

Been to Clark House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!