“Better than Ever”

GreenLeadersGold level
new york
“Better than Ever”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Just got back yesterday from our wonderful trip to the Catskills. We have been coming to the Catskills, namely the Catskill Mountain Lodge for over 30 years and I must say that it was better than ever. The service from the new owners Kathy and Al is friendly, warm, knowledgeable and welcoming. If a family atmosphere is what you are looking for, look no further. The rooms were clean, beds were comfortable, there is a good restaurant (serving breakfast, lunch and dinner) and lounge on the premise. The Lodge is located near many tourist attractions and the one everyone was talking about was the new zip line up at Hunter Mountain. Unfortunately, we didn't get there this week, but we are already planning our next trip up in two weeks and are bringing our parents. If sightseeing is not your thing, there is a wonderful clean pool, in a serene setting, a gameroom for the kids and a gym that my husband and son took advantage of. We can't wait to return. P.S. If you are "city slickers" like my family, make sure to take a look at the country night sky. The stars are incredible.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jdvmny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bronxville, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here over valentines day and had a fantastic experience. It was a last minute trip and not much was available so I was a little nervous about what we would find. We ended finding a great cozy place with an absolutely fabulous staff. Al and Kathy were very helpful and a bunch of the guests and Al stayed up all hours of the night in the Kindred spirits pub(recommend Janets Buffalo wings) having just a great time. Valentines Day dinner was also great. It was a great place to get away from the city, ski, and relax. Honestly I think the people that complained are just used to 5 star accomadations and cannot recognize true charm when they see it. We will visit again next year!!!! until then......

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miller35
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 21, 2010

The only positive thing I can say: the tap water here is delicious.

For the rest of it, I wish I'd thought to go spend the night in the car; I might have gotten some sleep that way. We paid $95 for one night in a "cabin." Here's the laundry list: the place reeked of cigarette smoke. Everything was shabby and low quality: thin, stained, and scratchy sheets, no mattress pad, a mattress about as comfy as plywood, all furniture dusty, stained and/or scarred in some manner. The place was filthy: 1 minute of walking barefoot on the floor and there was black runoff from my feet when I stepped in the shower; the quilt and blanket were positively greasy; when we turned back the covers, we found a long hair, some pieces of hay, and a scattering of dirt particles in the sheets. I might have been willing to overlook any one of these issues (if I'd paid $25 for the room, maybe), but the triple whammy at $95/night is just shameful. This is most disgusting place I've stayed in outside of the third world.

I should note that we gave the management a chance to fix one of these problems: the first cabin we were assigned to reeked even more of smoke, so I asked if there was another room available, and the owner showed us a second cabin (#117), admitting that they'd been struggling to get the smoke smell out of the first (#118). The second was a bit less awful-smelling and its windows were better positions for a cross breeze so I was hopeful some airing would help (I was wrong). I noticed the dirty floor and grimy blankets but since it was about par with the first cabin I doubted any of the other rooms would be any better and since those were just outer surfaces I figured we could survive it for one night. Didn't notice how truly gross and uncomfortable the bed was until we got back from the wedding late that night, at which point I was exhausted; it didn't occur to me to request yet another room change, though I have no confidence that it would have been much different. Maybe there's a whole different set of standards in the main house, I have no idea and am certainly not returning to find out---based on how similar the pricing is for both, though, I wouldn't bet on it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank lowkeytraveler72

Travelers are raving about these Palenville hotels

Bronxville, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Why go to an impersonal hotel when you can have this sanctuary!
After booking tickets, to see the magnificent Hunter Mountain Jam 2010, I was directed by the Hunter Mountain Jam site for this “hidden gem”.
My stay was far more than I asked for. Clean, friendly, helpful and most assuredly SAFE. Currently, one can never be too safe. The County and State police patrolled the area consistently, due to the high traffic of the Hunter Mountain Jam. Excellent considering over 15, 000 fans attended the Hunter Mountain region!
The travelers, whom I encountered, felt the same way. To meet and discuss with your fellow residents for those who were attending Hunter Mountain Jam, the night’s events was a communal and uplifting experience. I observed families, with their pets vacationing in the bungalows, laughing and enjoying them immensely. The pool on the property is a big thrill and with the weekend encountering 90-degree weather at times, it was a blessing!
The restaurant, Kindred Spirits Steakhouse & Pub, also located on the property is a necessary and complimentary addition to the CML. The service outstanding, the food very creative and well prepared. The decor is very relaxing. Presentation superb! The server was super friendly, attentive and accommodating. She had it down to a science. The portions large! The menu eclectic, inventive and most importantly had that “home appeal”.
The milieu itself represents what the Catskill Mountain Lodge offers.
I not only recommend this place, but I insist those who want a home, away from home to stay here. The extras such as the peaceful surroundings, warm smiles, a friendly handshake, safety and security, and sumptuous meals, all at a reasonable cost is HERE!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank AlwaysTravelling60
LOS ANGELES
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed here ovenight on a short weekend visit to the Catskills. We stayed in what they call the "standard room" at the lodge, and our accomodations were clean and quiet. The surroundings are absolutely georgous. The owners are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet, and they go out of there way to make sure your stay is comfortable and relaxing. There is a good restaurant and bar on the site as well. We had a wonderful breakfast there (including local maple syrup on the pancakes!). It's literally a 5 minute drive to some of the most beautiful hiking trails. This was our first time here, and we are already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MCJ1000
Yonkers, NY
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Such friendly owners, great location for either hunter or windham, food was DELICIOUS. They have a bar attached with friendly staff and good lagers on tap. We not only would go back, we are thinking of going back over and over next ski season. What a great oasis to get out of the city and relax in the quiet, country with great wine and great people.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AMH16
alguart, Owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We appreciate the positive tone of your review, but are pleased it contained specific and pertinent detalis about the Lodge that should prove helpful to travelers.
new york
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We stayed here by chance for one night in February in order to ski in the area (there was a lot of new snow, and most of the hotels were completely full). We were met at check-in by Kathy, who is very friendly. We asked to see our room before paying, though, because from the outside the Catskill Mountain Lodge looks like what it is - a lodge - and we weren't sure what the rooms would be like inside. The room was dated, but very clean, so we took it. Our room had two Queen beds which were comfortable, a cable tv, a balcony, an electric fireplace, and a medium-sized bathroom with two sinks and good toiletry products (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc.). We were pleasantly surprised! Although the accommodations aren't luxury, and perhaps a bit expensive, we would definitely stay here again - pretty close to both Hunter and Windham, with a good restaurant on site.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lcosette
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palenville
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kingston-Ulster
Pollace's Family Vacation Resort

Been to Catskill Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!