“Relaxing friendly get away!”

Catskill Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Palenville
GreenLeadersGold level
westhampton new york
“Relaxing friendly get away!”
Reviewed January 24, 2009

our recent stay at the catskill lodge was a nice time. we had a decent size room and it was clean.
the owners alfred and cathy along with there 15 year old son where friendly and accomidating.
the resturant had a great filet migon in which alfred gave us two 15$ meal vochers for a total of 30$ off our meal not to forget the 4 cocktail vochers as well..the hostess was very nice and the bartender was friendly.the ski package was exactly what was advertised.lift tickets,meal vouchers and a clean room. is it the hilton of course not. can you please everyone no you cannot. was i satisfied with my weekend package stay absolutly i was. THE SKI WEEKEND PACKAGE WAS EXACTLY AS ADVERTISED .
I WOULD STAY AGAIN , thanks alot larry and ray

• Liked — somewhat close to hunter mountain
  • Disliked — isolated from main street or other places typical for upstate
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
UK
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We are from the UK.

Our room was small by American Motel standards, the heater was so noisy we had to turn it off. Before we booked we asked specifically if the restaurant would be open that evening to be told yes. We arranged for our American friends to meet us there for dinner. Just prior to their arrival and following a loud shouting match (overheard in the bar) between the owner and the chef we were then told that the restaurant would now be closed and no meals served.

The following morning I went over to get a coffee for my wife and myself and was charged for it! In all the motels we have stayed at in America there has either been a coffee maker or coffee available, most even give a continental breakfast included in the room charge.

At $86.40 in November it was extremely poor value and I could even say the worst value of our 14 day visit to America

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — Exteremy bad value
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank UKPhilip
Catskillmtlodge, Owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, December 3, 2008
The first and proper venue for complaint is at the hotel. Once you leave, there's not much that can be done for you. Case in point:

This guest never told us the room was small.
Rooms in our Standard Lodge are our smallest and most economical, but that's what this walk-in guest chose. These rooms are about 200 square feet, or about the size of Motel 6 rooms. This guest did not see rooms in our Deluxe Lodge, which are nearly 300 square feet and priced accordingly. In any event, this room had two full-size beds in it and more often than not accomodates four people.

If the heater was noisy, why not bring it to our attention? We could have pointed out our rooms have a second heater in the bath that can heat the entire room. Or, we could have moved or upgraded the guest. However, many guests have reported a sound night's sleep in the same room with the same heater.

No food at the inn? Not true. The restaurant's head chef did unexpectedly have to leave that evening, but food was still available in the pub. Indeed, others ate and drank in the pub well into the night. If this guest opted not to choose from the pub menu, that doesn't mean there was nothing to eat. Besides, there are many good restaurants just minutes away.

Finally, this guest walked into a busy restaurant, ordered coffee to go and was charged. Why the surprise? Had he asked for complimentary coffee, he would have been directed to the Lobby, where it is available to Lodge guests. While breakfast is not included in the room rate, it does come with our various outdoor packages.

Not having heard a single complaint from this guest, we were surprised to read this "dreadful" review. All we can do now is offer this general advice: plan your vacations well, ask lots of questions and then make reservations.

Travelers are raving about these Palenville hotels

US
Reviewed October 15, 2008

After reading the positive reviews, my wife and I made a reservation over the phone. Once we arrived and checked in, the room (in an older building across from the restaurant) was a disappointment - the window sill had a pile of dust and cobwebs, the furniture was old, and room was dark and smelled musty. We wouldn't expect to pay $60 for that room, let alone the $125 we were charged (more for the holiday weekend of Columbus Day, we were told). I carried our stuff back out and asked for a refund as the room was not acceptable, particularly as my wife and I have dust allergies. Tripadvisor had not let us down in the past but this appeared to be an exception.

To her credit, the owner let us look at two additional rooms in the newer building. The first one was larger and cleaner with slightly better furniture, but also smelled musty. The second one did not smell musty and we took it. The room was far from spotless. I pointed out the crumbs on the side table, some paper under the bathroom counter, and random small things on the bedroom floor. While we moved our things into the room, the owner went around picking up and cleaning. Unfortunately, the damage was done - we longer felt that we were staying in a clean place. One of the beds had a hair on the sheet - were the sheets laundered? How about the towels? There were other problems - the blow dryer was broken and the shower temperature changed from the set temperature by itself (when I brought this up, the owner said that it happens when others in the building run the water).

The owner was very accommodating in giving us a nicer room (which was presumably even higher priced but she did not charge us extra). In addition, she also helped us out the next day. My wife and I went for a hike in the morning, and she let us keep our dog (in his crate) in our room way past (several hours) the check-out time. Her kindness allowed us to do the hiking we wanted without having to leave the dog in the car, or run back early to pick him up before check-out time. We appreciated her gesture. While they were very nice to us, I still have to report our full experience honestly here.

The owners mean well, are helpful, and I wish them well. I travel frequently for business and pleasure, and aspects like cleanliness and value are a must. I have stayed in many hotels, lodges, inns, B&Bs (many high end as well as budget) and in my opinion this hotel is overpriced and unacceptable in its current condition. The rooms and facility need to be upgraded, their standards of cleanliness need to be raised. With the owners' helpful and welcoming attitude, this lodge has potential.

• Liked — Very helpful owners
  • Disliked — Run-down rooms, old furniture & substandard amenities
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank ski_fiend_MN
Catskillmtlodge, owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 17, 2008
We suggest reading this reviewer's profile and other reviews before pre-judging The Lodge. Often what appears in writing says more about the author than the subject matter. This is such a case.

The Lodge was full this Columbus Day weekend with 160 guests. One hundred and fifty eight guests, many repeat customers, were satisifed with their accomodations. We like those odds.

While The Lodge was extremely busy, extraordinary efforts were put forth to satisfy the unrealistic and unrelenting demands of this couple. That speaks for itself.
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I organized a workshop for a group of 10 people at the lodge and we had a wonderful experience staying there. Rooms are large and spacious and the area is beautiful and staff made us feel welcome and took care of all our needs.
The lodge is set in a nice area and is close to a very beautiful waterfall. The restaurant staff is nice and friendly as well and food was good as well as atmosphere in the restaurant including live music in the evening on the weekend. We also liked the bar.
I would recommend this place for a quiet getaway as well as for fun or work group gathering. Pool area looked nice as well except we did not have time to use it!

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank imaginetravel
New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I've been meaning to write this note since our wonderful stay at the lodge in early July. Aside from the immaculate condition of our very nicely appointed room, we were most appreciative of how gracious and accommodating the owners were. We arrived at the lodge after a rather long, hot motorcycle trip up from New Jersey. We were tired and dusty from the road and just generally looking and feeling bedraggled to say the least. It was wonderful to get to our clean, spacious room...take a shower...and get ready for dinner and some wine in the on-site restaurant. Unfortunatey, we found out that the restaurant is only open on weekends (we were there for a Tues & Weds night stay. The lodge's website at the time wasn't really clear about the restaurant's hours of operation, but I see that it's clear now. By the way, breakfasts there are excellent.). So there we were - tired & hungry (a dangerous combination in my case for sure as my riding buddy will attest to). The skies were threatening and the thought of getting back on the bikes to find food..well, neither one of us was really up for that. Leaving the tired, hungry and wine-thirsty beast (me) in the room, my riding partner spoke with the owner who graciously offered to whip something up for us. About a half hour later, we had a delicious dinner of grilled chicken sandwiches, french fries, and a bottle of white wine delivered to our room. It was wonderful!!

We highly recommend the Catskill Mountain Lodge for its comfort, cleanliness, peaceful setting, and warm hospitality. We will be back for sure (but we won't impose upon the owners again for a homecooked meal during off-hours. Much to our chagrin, we realized that there's a pretty decent bar & grill just up the road a bit from the lodge. Much nicer, though, to have stayed in that first night and we are looking forward to a weekend stay during which we can enjoy the lodge's restaurant & tavern.)

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NJBikerGirl
Riverdale, NY
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Learning that this Lodge in Historic Palenville is under new management - a jazz musician and former journalist once nominated for a pulitzer prize and his wife, a seasoned nurse - peaked my curiosity. Passing it by several times over the past 10 years on my way up to Hunter Mountain, I finally decided to check it out with my wife and 16 year old son.

The grounds are bucolic, several acres overlooking a creek, and include a large brightly painted children's play area with a swingset and climbing bars, several picnic tables, a half basketball court, a well maintained swimming pool and a fitness room. Something for everyone.

The rooms are spacious, well maintained, reasonably priced and have beautiful views overlooking nature. The service in the restaurant was excellent and the fare was fresh and delicious.

The highlight of my stay was the July 4th music festival featuring a well known Jazz guitarist named Rick Stone who had played Carnegie Hall and an excellent folk/rock/country band. The musicians were excellent and very approachable. The vibe was pleasant. The site was inviting and the crowd was friendly.

Aside from the owners being a sophisticated friendly couple, they were very knowledgable of the rich culture and natural history of the surroundings. While Palenville is the home of the legend of Rip Van Winkle, the Catskill Lodge is anything but some sleepy little forgettable place.

• Liked — Wellmaintained
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed July 13, 2008

I think this place offers a range of rooms, and I should start by saying that we booked the cheapest rooms on offer. I think our room was $80 or $85, which for the area was one of the cheapest around. So the more expensive rooms might be nicer. That said, we liked our room okay and felt it was a good value for the price. The furnishings did seem to be kind of 70s, but aesthetically it was not horrible, and everything was spotlessly clean, and we were comfortable. The rooms in our building all had a little veranda and table and chairs out front which I think would be really nice to sit in in the summer. Nature-wise, the location and surroundings were really beautiful.

We did not try the restaurant, as it was closed the night we were there.

The owner checked me in himself and we chatted a bit and he told me that he and his wife had bought it only last year and had been working very hard on the place. He was previously working as a journalist and his wife was a nurse, and they bought the business so they would have more time together as a family. I like the fact that it's a family-
owned business, and enjoyed talking with the owner - he struck me as a pretty nice guy. I have a feel they are going to do good things with this place, and we would probably stay there again if we are in the area.

• Liked — The beautiful location in the woods
  • Disliked — The slightly shabby looks
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Groggie
Catskillmtlodge, Owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2008
This review was fair and we appreciate the writer's pointing out the room was a good value and was very clean and comfortable. Since May 2008, we have repainted that building, made it even cleaner and recovered those patio tables. They do make a very nice spot to sit with a friend.

As a family owned business, we take pride in our Lodge and take time to listen to our guests to find out what kind of experience they seek. For some, as was the case for this reviewer, it's simply an economical place to stay overnight. For others, longer stays and more elaborate amenities are called for. For those guests we provide rooms in our Deluxe Lodge or three bedroom Main House. In any scenario, we strive to provide attentive service and clean, comfortable rooms that are competetively priced.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palenville
Hotel Vienna
Pollace's Family Vacation Resort
The Sun View
The Sun View
#2 of 2 in Tannersville

Been to Catskill Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!