“Always a Good Time”

GreenLeadersGold level
Malta, New York
“Always a Good Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

I have just read several reviews, some of which were negative, and felt compelled to write one of my own. My friends and I have been staying at the Catskill Mountain Lodge 2 to 3 times a year for the last several years. Why do we continue to go back? It is simple, we always have a good time!

First, the rooms. My friends and I always stay on the 2nd floor of the main lodge. The rooms have been refurbished over the last few years, are clean, modern, and very spacious. The electric fireplace provides a nice ambiance on the cool evenings. The balcony provides a great place for us to gather and chat before or after dinner.

Second, the restaurant. The Kindred Spirits name is very appropriate. Every time we go in we end up chatting not only among ourselves but others in the restaurant along with the owners and staff. It is a place to get to know people. The food is always very good and often exceptional. A few times when very busy, one may say the service is a little slow. This is not unypical of a family run place. It is not an issue for me though. If I wanted to get in and out of a restaurant in 30 minutes I would go to a diner. If I want a leisurely 1.5 to 2 hour multi-course dinner while listening to good jazz from local musicians, along with the owner Al, then the Kindred Spirits is the place I want to be. By the way, for lunch, you cannot get a better burger anywhere! And the breakfasts are well above average.

Third, some of the special moments. We often have experiences that make staying at The Lodge especially rewarding. Often, we will setup a bonfire in the back of the main lodge and other guests will end up joining our group. We have experienced a night of music with Vinnie Knight which was thorougly enjoyable. One special moment was the watching the play, A Wandering in the Woods. New friends were made at that time.

Finally, the owners. Al and Kathy have become like family to myself and my friends. They are great people, fun to talk with, and always very accomodating. They often join us at breakfast, dinner, or in the bar to chat and to make sure we are having a good experience. Often I will stop by if I am in the area to say hi and get a burger.

Finally, I am a firm believe of what on puts out there comes back to you. I travel a lot on business around the world and often experience the inconveniences of something not being right (ex: lost reservation, meals not up to par, a room not cleaned,etc., etc.) I have learned that most staff wants their customers to be happy. It is amazing how quickly and postively the staff reacts when I, as a customer, treat them with dignity and respect when requesting them to make something right. Al and Kathy are no different. They are great people...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rbreuning

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Highland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Our nineteen year old son and his classical music quartet stayed at the Catskill Mountain Lodge for five weeks this past Spring as Artists in Residence for the Greene County Council on the Arts. Al and Kathy took great care of them. The boys loved the food, and really liked the swimming hole on Kaaterskill Creek at the back of the property. The rustic environment gave my son the chance to bond with his inner Thoreau. My wife and I enjoyed staying at one of the cabins during our three weekend visits, using it as our base to explore the local Catskill attractions. We loved the jazz nights at the Kindred Spirits.
The rooms were clean, the hot water was hot and the cold water cold. We are looking forward to returning next spring. We thought the prices were actually on the low side for the area.

Walter and Gail Fried

Room Tip: The cabins are more rustic, the main building has better internet service. All were quite clean.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Waltereye6
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

My boyfriend and I were attending a wedding in the area and booked two nights at the Lodge. We ended up actually extending our stay for an additional night because we had such a relaxing and great time. Al and Kathy (the owners) were extremely accommodating and made us feel like we were visiting with old friends. The rooms were clean and we were even allowed a late check out since our bus back to NYC was delayed (the bus back to the city stops right at the lodge). We ate almost all our meals at the adjoining restaurant and Roger (the chef) made sure we were well fed and happy. We ended up coming back here over July 4th weekend and we are planning to bring more friends in late summer. The lodge is definitely going to be our "go to" spot when we need some R&R away from the city!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tallchickie
Bos
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed here as part of a large group that nearly filled up the hotel. This was our 2nd year in a row. I should have learned better the first time around but decided to give it one more try. We stayed in the same room as we did last year. The bathroom door had been kicked in before our stay in 2010 and remained broken in 2011. Musty smells in the room, broken lights, stained carpets, rude service and that is just the start......... They will never see another dime of my money. They are far from a bargin and I would rather pay my money to someone who knows how to be in the service industry.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
10 Thank mcinthewind
alguart, Owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
This motorcycle group has many wonderful members. One of them wrote a nice review of The Lodge and the restaurant. In all, we provided a great group rate (about a third off) and allowed them to have bonfires, bring in their own drinks and much more. We worked closely with the organizers to make things run smoothly. We hoped they'd have a great time, like they did last year.

This guest asked for the same room as the previous year and we moved other guests to make him happy. The rooms in the Deluxe Lodge are large, clean and beautiful. The carpets were cleaned at the end of June. There are no stains. The bathroom door needs was damaged before we took over, but it closes for privacy. There are no broken lights. We check regularly.

This guest happened to be nasty to our staff. In fact, he actually stood near the stage during a live Jazz performance and shouted he wanted his $20 back for the buffet dinner. The other guests in the motorcycle group were embarassed, including his wife. When he was offered a steak dinner, he refused and was dismissive.

Perhaps this motorcycle group could benefit from being more selective in its membership.

Travelers are raving about these Palenville hotels

Binghamton, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

I'm having a very hard time believing the positive reviews about this place and wonder if they're even valid. My friends and I tried to stay positive throughout the whole ordeal but it was difficult, to say the least.
First of all, trying to make a reservation over the phone was an event in itself. Whoever checked us in wasn't one of the owners but someone who was annoyed at having to do his job. We reserved our rooms months in advance and yet there was still a mix-up.
Upon entering our room, the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. The furnishings were very cheap and old, not like in the photos at all. Sorry, but the pictures on the website are very misleading.
Other lovely points: shower curtains that never reached all the way around, not enough towels, stained towels, telephones in the rooms that didn't work, no a/c, over-priced food, long wait for food-we even saw one couple walk out of the dining room because they were waiting so long. I overheard similar complaints from other guests, so it wasn't just us.
Kathy was very nice and really tried but this place needs a major overhaul. It just isn't worth what they're charging.
The owner's response to the negative reviews is to "speak up" or "tell management". It wouldn't matter. We tried speaking up about something minor and were met with major attitude. Besides, whenever we went into the lobby, there was rarely anyone at the desk, no matter what time of day. My family, friends and I travel several times a year; we know good service...this isn't it. They can make excuses and blame the guests all they like; unless they improve, people won't come back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
14 Thank ss578mb
alguart, Owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
For reviews by guests who have actually stayed at The Lodge and have no ulterior motives feel free to check the Guest Gallery of our website. You can also friend us on Facebook, where we post upcoming events and our guests interact with us every day.

This reviewer had a hard time believing scores of other reviewers who have had great things to report about our Lodge. Somehow our website photos seemed unreal, too. As if we take photos of some other place and post them on our site.

Well, we're having a hard time believing this review. The photos on our website are of our hotel. In fact, some of the photos are old and do not reflect the many updates we've completed over the past five years.

Our phones and air conditioners all work. (You do have to have your phone unrestricted if you want to make outside calls. And the air conditioners are also heaters. Some guests have complained the units blew hot air when they had set them to heat, or vice-versa. Since this guest did not complain while here, we have no idea what her air conditioning problem was).

The showers in the Deluxe Lodge have long, wrap-around curtain rods, so long that even some of the extra long curtains do not go all the way around. But we've never heard anyone complain because the tubs are so long no water gets out from the far side. The curtains in now way hamper anyone from taking a nice, long, hot shower.

Anyway, you can tell an unfair and biased review because it gives low ratings for everything. In this case even sleep quality received a poor rating. Can you believe that?
Southern Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

I recently stayed 3 days at the Catskill Mountain Lodge to attend a motorcycle rally. This lodge was the perfect venue! The room was clean, the staff was friendly, and the food was good. Speaking of food, the cheeseburger was SO GOOD...I returned the next day for another one! They provided us with a location to gather in the evening and gave us a lot of freedom. I am sure the size of our group was very overwhelming but they worked very hard to make it a great experience. No complaints. I would recommend this lodge to any traveler.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are great!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ToddfromME
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

I stayed at the Castkill Moutain Lodge with a group of friends last September and we had a great time!
It was a very relaxing place and the rooms were pretty comfortable. I recommend the Breakfast at the Kindred Spirits Steakhouse & Pub (it is delicious!!!) and don’t hesitate to take a trip there in the evening too. The music is awesome (the owner has a band there and they are very talented) and the drinks are very affordable.
This place is so close to the city and yet you will feel like you entered another world. We made quite a few friends with other tenants who were staying there and that we are still in touch with to this day.
If you want a quiet relaxing time away from the city, I could not recommend the lodge more! The owners were really nice to us and very accommodating; we felt just like at home thanks to them! Overall it was a great experience for us and personally, I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank parisbj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palenville
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
#5 of 6 in Hunter
B&B Lounge of Catskill
B&B Lounge of Catskill
#3 of 9 in Catskill

Been to Catskill Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!