I have just read several reviews, some of which were negative, and felt compelled to write one of my own. My friends and I have been staying at the Catskill Mountain Lodge 2 to 3 times a year for the last several years. Why do we continue to go back? It is simple, we always have a good time!
First, the rooms. My friends and I always stay on the 2nd floor of the main lodge. The rooms have been refurbished over the last few years, are clean, modern, and very spacious. The electric fireplace provides a nice ambiance on the cool evenings. The balcony provides a great place for us to gather and chat before or after dinner.
Second, the restaurant. The Kindred Spirits name is very appropriate. Every time we go in we end up chatting not only among ourselves but others in the restaurant along with the owners and staff. It is a place to get to know people. The food is always very good and often exceptional. A few times when very busy, one may say the service is a little slow. This is not unypical of a family run place. It is not an issue for me though. If I wanted to get in and out of a restaurant in 30 minutes I would go to a diner. If I want a leisurely 1.5 to 2 hour multi-course dinner while listening to good jazz from local musicians, along with the owner Al, then the Kindred Spirits is the place I want to be. By the way, for lunch, you cannot get a better burger anywhere! And the breakfasts are well above average.
Third, some of the special moments. We often have experiences that make staying at The Lodge especially rewarding. Often, we will setup a bonfire in the back of the main lodge and other guests will end up joining our group. We have experienced a night of music with Vinnie Knight which was thorougly enjoyable. One special moment was the watching the play, A Wandering in the Woods. New friends were made at that time.
Finally, the owners. Al and Kathy have become like family to myself and my friends. They are great people, fun to talk with, and always very accomodating. They often join us at breakfast, dinner, or in the bar to chat and to make sure we are having a good experience. Often I will stop by if I am in the area to say hi and get a burger.
Finally, I am a firm believe of what on puts out there comes back to you. I travel a lot on business around the world and often experience the inconveniences of something not being right (ex: lost reservation, meals not up to par, a room not cleaned,etc., etc.) I have learned that most staff wants their customers to be happy. It is amazing how quickly and postively the staff reacts when I, as a customer, treat them with dignity and respect when requesting them to make something right. Al and Kathy are no different. They are great people...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A classic year-round lodge set on the banks of the famed Kaaterskill Creek with spacious, comfortable rooms, some with fireplaces, and several cabins. Close to Hunter & Windham Ski resports, Woodstock, Saugerties and Horse Shows in the Sun. Full service steakhouse & pub on site open daily with Off Track Betting Parlor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Catskill Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catskill Mountain Hotel Palenville
- Catskill Mountain Lodge Catskill Region/Palenville, NY