“Basic, decent motel”

M Star Hotel Canajoharie
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I booked 2 nites here- a thursday and friday, with some hesitation, because of some of the reviews. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a good, basic motel. Remember, this is a motel - don't expect the luxury of a hotel or the charm of a Bed and Breakfast. Certainly not for $62 a nite. And, yes, the sheets and towels are an off-putting beige - not white, but they certainly didn't smell.

The room was clean and surprisingly spacious. Ours had 2 double beds, a kitchenette[sink, fridge, 2 burners, microwave] and dining table, plenty of floor space for an air mattress for the kids [teenagers, not toddlers], and room for the dog, too. Housekeeping staff was friendly. There was plenty of hot water [for 4 showers at night] and we didn't hear anything from the rooms next door. The A/C worked fine keeping the room comfortably cool in the mid-August heat and humidity. With a 10am wake-up we missed the breakfast, so get up early if you're hungry.

Our room faced the front, and at first the trains seem pretty close, just down the hill and across the road, but it's actually rather picturesque, with the river just beyond the tracks. And the mournful freight train horns didn't really bother us. The Thruway is barely visible thru the trees in the distance. It was remarkably quiet - I suspect the tight fitting windows might be a new addition.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. It's hard to find a place that allows pets, so I'm happy this stay worked out.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed July 26, 2007

I was on vacation, covering Montreal and upstate New York. I didn't know whether I should stay in Albany, Syracuse or somewhere in between. I felt I could trust the Choice Hotels brands of which Rodeway is one. So I stayed here, as it is between Albany and Syracuse. I arrived at about midnight.

It's an old fashioned colonial type property with doors directly to the outside and cars in front.

The rooms were old and the furnishings were in poor shape. The same is true of the bathroom. The baseboard heating was hard to regulate.

The linens were absolutely disgusting. They had a musty smell. The musty smell remained on my person for about 2 days thereafter. I kept showering and showering. I had absolutely no desire to touch any of their breakfast items.

Truly, this frightened me in that a chain such as Rodeway would not find this hotel property to be completely out of line with appropriate standards for cleanliness and upkeep. Uggghh.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank califbob
Reviewed January 25, 2007

This place is gross and a lil bit scary. I had a job in Cooperstown but the price per night there was $250 because of the baseball hall of fame induction so I had to stay somewhere close, I moved out of this place after the first night and moved to Utica at the Red Roof Inn (by the way which was one of the better places Ive stayed in a while for comfort), The people that run it are really really rude people. its a hotel out of the 50's in really bad shape. rooms nasty, lobby (a room the size of a bathroom) nasty, everything nasty. But your choices are very limited here so if you come there its about the only decent place to stay compared to everywhere else.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Dakota81
Reviewed September 14, 2006

My husband and I have stayed here several times. Palatine Bridge is a lovely town with limited hotels. If you want high-class, keep driving. However, we like this motel and find the sound of the trains enjoyable. We will stay there on the way to the Canadian Niagara Fall next June and on the way home, too.............

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elsiesgirl
Reviewed September 4, 2006

The Rodeway Inn is a little mom and pop shop just off the Thruway. There are restaurants nearby, both local and National chains (McDonalds). This old fashioned motor lodge type hotel had adequate accomodations. It was an older hotel, but everything worked and was clean. The TV had a lot of stations for a small hotel and reception was good. The bathrooms are the smaller type with tiled walls. The sink is located outside the bathroom door to maximize space. The bed was older, but the sheets were clean and comfortable. There was also free wireless internet. The owner was polite and helpful. Be sure to request a room in the back of the hotel. There is a train track down the hill and it can be a little loud for rooms on the front. The hotel could use some sprucing up. My room had wallpaper peeling in one corner, but there aren't very stops along the Thruway in this part of the state and for just an overnight stay, this was fine. I would stay here again if i needed to.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank Chris F
A TripAdvisor Member
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I brought a television crew up here for location work in neighboring Sharon Springs. For the money we paid, I don't think you could possibly find a better deal. This is a family owned hotel, typical for this area, and everyone was most courteous and helpful. Our rooms all had wireless internet and good cellphone service (both unusual for this region), plus refrigerators and microwave ovens. Nothing fancy here, but more than adequate for most.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2006

We found a coupon in the travel book at a rest area and stopped at this motel. Rooms are old and need updating. Sheets and pillows were old and yellow...SUPPOSED TO BE WHITE. There was an ice bucket but no ice machine. The clerk who I assume is the owner or manger because he lives there was kinda of rude. One of my credit cards declined and he threw a receipt at me that said DELCLINED. I have 2 cards that look alike, I gave him the other one and it worked. He gave me the room right next door to where he lived. My wife and 2 children were kinda of freaked out because he kept looking out the wndow and watched us. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Toilet didn 't flush right either.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank BDOUG23

Been to M Star Hotel Canajoharie? Share your experiences!